Washington DC Area Film Critics (WAFCA)

For the films of 2020
flipp525
Laureate

Re: Washington DC Area Film Critics (WAFCA)

Post by flipp525 »

Mister Tee wrote:
Sabin wrote:I think it's worth taking away Flipp's right to be pissed about the fact that right-wingers and Nazis stormed the capitol in his home.
I'm guessing you meant this to say "I don't think it's worth..."

And just to interrupt this passionate argument with pedantry -- it's "wringer", not "ringer".
Thanks so much, Mister Tee. Will be sure to note that correct spelling in the future.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

mlrg wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:By the way, I just removed a post by request. Never had to do that before.

Let's keep things civil, shall we?
Yes, keep deleting posts up until this board is reduced to two or three people speaking at each other or at a wall.
A little more talking to each other instead at each other might help.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:As to the DC critics, they are far from the only group that likes to recognize films made by or about their home territory. There should be no minimizing that desire to recognize the hardworking folk that don't often get recognized because their efforts are too small or purportedly insignificant for recognition on a national scale. Further, the DC critics have had that award for a very, very long time because they DO know how bad a reputation Washington DC has around the world and in the U.S. I don't see celebrating the positive portrayals is a bad thing. If only those positive portrayals had an impact on people's opinions of the city.
Yes, but Wonder Woman over four highly respected documentaries?
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Big Magilla wrote:By the way, I just removed a post by request. Never had to do that before.

Yes, keep deleting posts up until this board is reduced to two or three people speaking at each other or at a wall.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

By the way, I just removed a post by request. Never had to do that before.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Yes, it's wringer, not ringer. This is what a wringer looks like:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangle_(machine)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
I'm guessing you meant this to say "I don'tthink it's worth..."

And just to interrupt this passionate argument with pedantry -- it's "wringer", not "ringer".
Yes... I'm on a work zoom... I'm always on a work zoom
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote:I think it's worth taking away Flipp's right to be pissed about the fact that right-wingers and Nazis stormed the capitol in his home.
I'm guessing you meant this to say "I don't think it's worth..."

Last edited by Mister Tee on Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Reza wrote
That's nothing compared to what we and many other nations have been through thanks to your past Presidents' policies. You guys in America have really had it good these last 100 years or so and are incapable of knowing what a real "ringer" is. And that's because your country has never been attacked so you guys don't know what that's all about - the death and destruction. 9/11 is the only incident and that put the fear of God in some of you for a bit.

Yes, what happened in DC was not acceptable but many nations have faced far worse atrocities at the hands of your government. So forgive us if we don't feel sorry at the extent of "damage" you guys recently faced. That was a mere walk in the park compared to the shit we have seen in the past.
On the one hand, I understand your point.

On the other hand, our capitol was stormed by Nazis. That capitol is Flipp's home. One of our two political parties being taken over by Nazis is bad for Flipp, it's bad for our country, and it's bad for every country in the world. If you want to object to the phrase "put through the ringer," I guess that's your right. I don't think it's worth taking away Flipp's right to be pissed about the fact that right-wingers and Nazis stormed the capitol in his home.
Last edited by Sabin on Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sorry, been busy with other things, but for the record I didn't delete anything today.

In fact, the only things I delete are duplicates.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Magill and I don't actively delete posts.

Any Flipp probably deleted it himself.

Reza, we are not and never have condoned what our government has done against other nations. Many of the people who live and work in DC are not politicians, but regular Americans trying to lead a life of quiet dignity. That politicians are who they are there to support does not minimize their sacrifice.

No one is saying you don't have any reason not to have distaste for the U.S.'s past actions, but taking the position that innocent people deserve to be terrorized by outsiders who have been radicalized as payback for past atrocities is an incredibly low blow. It's undignified and horrendous. Taking any pleasure in the suffering of others because you think their nation deserves to suffer the same indignities as they've inflicted on others in the past is a myopic and awful way to approach this situation.

It would be like celebrating that the US was attacked by terrorists on 9/11 because it was payback for all the bad things they've done in the world.

As to the DC critics, they are far from the only group that likes to recognize films made by or about their home territory. There should be no minimizing that desire to recognize the hardworking folk that don't often get recognized because their efforts are too small or purportedly insignificant for recognition on a national scale. Further, the DC critics have had that award for a very, very long time because they DO know how bad a reputation Washington DC has around the world and in the U.S. I don't see celebrating the positive portrayals is a bad thing. If only those positive portrayals had an impact on people's opinions of the city.

As I mentioned above, don't castigate the entirety of the DC population over what a seasonal fraction of individuals have done.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote:
Reza wrote
What "ringer" has Washingtonians been thru this year? You should consider yourself lucky none of your cities or people have EVER been through ringers that "noble" people from your city have often done to cities and people in other parts of the world.
Reza, our President encouraged an insurrection to overturn the results of an election. Our capitol was stormed by racists and people who literally identify as Nazis! It all happened during a pandemic. That's not acceptable anywhere.
That's nothing compared to what we and many other nations have been through thanks to your past Presidents' policies. You guys in America have really had it good these last 100 years or so and are incapable of knowing what a real "ringer" is. And that's because your country has never been attacked so you guys don't know what that's all about - the death and destruction. 9/11 is the only incident and that put the fear of God in some of you for a bit.

Yes, what happened in DC was not acceptable but many nations have faced far worse atrocities at the hands of your government. So forgive us if we don't feel sorry at the extent of "damage" you guys recently faced. That was a mere walk in the park compared to the shit we have seen in the past.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Reza wrote
What "ringer" has Washingtonians been thru this year? You should consider yourself lucky none of your cities or people have EVER been through ringers that "noble" people from your city have often done to cities and people in other parts of the world.
Reza, our President encouraged an insurrection to overturn the results of an election. Our capitol was stormed by racists and people who literally identify as Nazis! It all happened during a pandemic. That's not acceptable anywhere.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:Us Washingtonians have been thru the fucking ringer this year so far (if you hadn’t noticed).
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

flipp525 wrote
Yes, really. Why not? Us Washingtonians have been thru the fucking ringer this year so far (if you hadn’t noticed). Why not celebrate positive portrayals of our city?

The second I clicked on this thread, I just knew there’d be some sort of snarky comment about these awards. Every single year.
I'm confused. What kind of snarky comments have been about these awards before? I wasn't aware of this.

I think now more than ever we need positive portrayals of Washington D.C.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”