SAG Nominations

For the films of 2020
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: SAG Nominations

Post by Reza »

This way they want to ensure that every winner is present to give an acceptance speech.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Bah humbug! A prerecorded hour-long show in which the winners have been told they won beforehand? This isn't emulating the Oscars, it's emulating the People's Choice awards. Why bother with a show at all? Just announce the winners' names and be done with it.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Do we seriously think the winners can be kept secret for several days? The blogger community will no doubt go crazy trying to uncover the winners.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... wards-show
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I suspect it was going to be Cicely Tyson, but she died before they could make the announcement.

I don't think it would be either Glenn Close or Jane Fonda. Close is a current nominee and Fonda received the DeMille from the Globes this year.

Keaton, MacLaine or Rowlands would be my guess from that list.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:
Reza wrote:Have they announced who will be getting the SAG Lifetime Achievement Award?
No. Any speculation who it might be?
Here is an article that discusses this question

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.goldde ... -poll/amp/
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:Have they announced who will be getting the SAG Lifetime Achievement Award?
No. Any speculation who it might be?
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Have they announced who will be getting the SAG Lifetime Achievement Award?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

flipp525 wrote
I think Promising Young Woman is going to over-perform come nomination time with a best case scenario haul of Picture, Director, Screenplay, Actress, Supporting Actor (Burnham).
I agree. I'm pretty mixed on Promising Young Woman and ultimately I was disappointed, but there's a charge and inspiration to it that I can't deny and I'd certainly rather a movie like it over-perform than something like Mank of The Trial of the Chicago 7.

I'm not sure about Bo Burnham but it's certainly possible he has a better shot than the supporting cast for The Trial of the Chicago 7 and Ma Rainey. He's definitely a major standout in a way that few in those films are. His performance is key to the film's success because he constant forces the audience to question to their bias. I would be happy with a nomination. I think it's more a feat of casting than performance but people have been nominated for less of both every year.

I think you're right about Emerald Fennell getting a directing nomination. I'm not sure if it's going to happen but at this point she should probably be considered a frontrunner. Maybe not as strong of one as Chloe Zhao, (I can't believe I'm writing this) Aaron Sorkin, or (I can't believe I'm writing this) David Fincher but there's no reason why she shouldn't be hyped as one.

I think Best Costume Design might also be in the cards unless they overlook it because it's largely just Carey Mulligan's costume.

And increasingly, I think Carey Mulligan could end up winning.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I think Promising Young Woman is going to over-perform come nomination time with a best case scenario haul of Picture, Director, Screenplay, Actress, Supporting Actor (Burnham). Maybe something else like Editing.

Too bad there isn’t a category for best soundtrack. The use of “Something Wonderful” from The King and I is pretty inspired.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

criddic3 wrote
If Sound of Metal gets in the best pic category, Raci will be there I think, but that's not guaranteed. There is still a month left till nominations so maybe he can gain steam.
I don't know if it will be nominated for Best Picture but simply being widely seen could be enough. I think every voter who nominates Riz Ahmed probably brings Paul Raci along with, especially considering that this year's Best Supporting Actor lineup has three locks (Cohen, Kaluuya, Odom Jr.), one good bet I remain skeptical of (Boseman, because he's just clearly not as good in this film as Ma Rainey), another good bet I refuse to take seriously (Leto), a terrific performance in a forgotten film (Murray), and a host of performances in Best Picture ensembles, none of which are not standout performances. Paul Raci in Sound of Metal is one.
"How's the despair?"
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Sabin wrote:
criddic3 wrote
My thought would be Kevin Bacon in Murder in the First, a middling thriller with a performance by a well-respected actor giving a decent performance. Leto doesn't really have any scenes that fill his character development much except that last sequence, and even then he doesn't do all that much to earn an Oscar nomination.
Great comparison.

I have a hard time believing that Paul Raci won’t get in when so many voters will have seen Sound of Metal because of Riz Ahmed.
If Sound of Metal gets in the best pic category, Raci will be there I think, but that's not guaranteed. There is still a month left till nominations so maybe he can gain steam.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

criddic3 wrote
My thought would be Kevin Bacon in Murder in the First, a middling thriller with a performance by a well-respected actor giving a decent performance. Leto doesn't really have any scenes that fill his character development much except that last sequence, and even then he doesn't do all that much to earn an Oscar nomination.
Great comparison.

I have a hard time believing that Paul Raci won’t get in when so many voters will have seen Sound of Metal because of Riz Ahmed.
"How's the despair?"
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Sabin wrote:
I keep thinking of Daniel Bruhl for Rush. Is Leto really any good in The Little Things?
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

MaxWilder wrote
Boseman seems to have best actor sewn up (and I can see SBC winning supporting as recognition for both Chicago 7 and Borat Subsequent Moviefilm). Ahmed and Lindo are decent bets for nominations but long-shots to win. Steven Yeun isn’t winning a best actor Oscar this year. Oldman isn’t winning again for Mank and The Father might as well be called The Wife 2020. News of the World is not what gets Tom Hanks a third statue. This category and supporting actress (everyone seems resigned to a Glenn Close win) are the safest acting bets.
(NOTE: this post has been edited after the author remembered that Chadwick Boseman was not nominated for Best Supporting Actor)
Last edited by Sabin on Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How's the despair?"
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

Big Magilla wrote:It almost certainly will be either Ahmed or Boseman. I'm thinking Ahmed has a slight edge if Boseman has a real shot at winning in support.
Boseman seems to have best actor sewn up (and I can see SBC winning supporting as recognition for both Chicago 7 and Borat Subsequent Moviefilm). Ahmed and Lindo are decent bets for nominations but long-shots to win. Steven Yeun isn’t winning a best actor Oscar this year. Oldman isn’t winning again for Mank and The Father might as well be called The Wife 2020. News of the World is not what gets Tom Hanks a third statue. This category and supporting actress (everyone seems resigned to a Glenn Close win) are the safest acting bets.

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”