Amanda Seyfried, Mank
Helena Zengel, News of the World

BEST STUNT ENSEMBLE
Birds of Prey
The Midnight Sky
The Outpost
Tenet
Wonder Woman 1984
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: SAG Awards

Post by Sabin »

Oh, whatever. He probably didn’t like The Wife either.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote: OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING FEMALE
Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
Ellen Burstyn, Pieces of a Woman
Glenn Close, The Wife
Olivia Colman, The Father
Amanda Seyfried, Mank
This is one Freud could dine out on.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big week coming up. Nothing really to add to the performances but I am fascinated by Outstanding Ensemble Cast because I have real concerns and suspicious about two of the heaviest hitters: Mank and The Trial of the Chicago 7. The former, I think, was not satisfactorily entertaining for voters. We shall see what happens but I think it's too much of a curio to register. The Trial of the Chicago 7 feels like it came out a while ago. And I really do wonder how beloved it is. I know I was very disappointed by it and I don't think I'm alone. I'm not brave enough to predict it will miss out on an Ensemble nomination because it's such a big actor-y thing, but I do think it's a bit vulnerable. I think the actors might like Promising Young Woman and Sound of Metal more.

UPDATED (02.03.21)

OUTSTANDING ENSEMBLE CAST
Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
Minari
One Night in Miami...
Promising Young Woman
The Trial of the Chicago 7

OUTSTANDING MALE LEAD
Riz Ahmed, Sound of Metal
Chadwick Boseman, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
Anthony Hopkins, The Father
Delroy Lindo, Da 5 Bloods
Gary Oldman, Mank

OUTSTANDING FEMALE LEAD
Andra Day, The United States vs. Billie Holiday
Viola Davis, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
Vanessa Kirby, Promising Young Woman
Frances McDormand Nomadland
Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING MALE
Chadwick Boseman, Da 5 Bloods
Sasha Baron Cohen, The Trial of the Chicago 7
Daniel Kaluuya, Judas and the Black Messiah
Leslie Odom, Jr., One Night in Miami...
Paul Raci, Sound of Metal

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING FEMALE
Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy
Amanda Seyfried, Mank

OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A STUNT ENSEMBLE
Bad Boys for Life
Birds of Prey
The Outpost
Tenet
Wonder Woman 1984
Last edited by Sabin on Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
Yes, but not in support. They have to follow guidelines. He could replace Yeun, or even Hopkins, in lead.
Yes, that's what I mean. I think SAG voters will take to the film quite a bit.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

FilmFan720 wrote:
anonymous1980 wrote:
OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A CAST IN A MOTION PICTURE

Daveed Diggs, Renee Elise Goldsberry, Jonathan Groff, Christopher Jackson, Jasmine Cephas Jones, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Leslie Odom Jr., Okieriete Onaodowan, Anthony Ramos and Philippa Soo, Hamilton

I hadn't thought about that, but that seems really likely. Are we sure it is eligible?
I double-checked and it's competing in the TV movie categories at the SAG's. Corrected it.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:
Big Magilla wrote
I liked both Langella and Rylance better than Sacha Baron Cohen in Trial, but Baron has the momentum. I see Kingsley Ben-Adir for Langella's slot at the Globes, but SAG considered him in lead.
Y'know, it's a testament to how much I think SAG voters will like One Night in Miami... that I think Kingsley Ben-Adir could sneak in.
Yes, but not in support. They have to follow guidelines. He could replace Yeun, or even Hopkins, in lead.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
I liked both Langella and Rylance better than Sacha Baron Cohen in Trial, but Baron has the momentum. I see Kingsley Ben-Adir for Langella's slot at the Globes, but SAG considered him in lead.
Y'know, it's a testament to how much I think SAG voters will like One Night in Miami... that I think Kingsley Ben-Adir could sneak in.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote: Good choices, Magilla. I can't really argue with most of them.

- The Trial of the Chicago 7 could definitely score two nominations. I'm not sure if Frank Langella will be the one getting a supporting nomination over Mark Rylance but it all depends on how much the film goes over.
- Not sure Herself has a high enough profile but the writer/actress thing could certainly help Claire Dunne, who before your post I thought was Claire Danes that you had misspelled.
- Brian Dennehy for Driveways could happen. They nominated James Gandolfini for Enough Said. I feel like both films had higher profiles but stranger things have happened.
- Da 5 Bloods and The Trial of the Chicago 7 for Best Performance by Stunt Ensemble will be terrible nominations as their stunt work looked terrible.
- Starting to wonder if The White Tiger, which is starting to pick up a little attention, could bode well for Adarsh Gourav and Priyanka Chopra.
Thanks.

It's Clare, not Claire, Dunne, but, yeah, it's a terrific breakthrough performance and one that you would think SAG members would appeal strongly to struggling SAG members - not sure about Oscar, though. Michelle Pfeiffer is still a threat, especially if she picks up a Globe nomination.

Dennehy is great in Driveways - deserves the nomination on merit, not just because of his death.

Spirit Awards nominated Valerie Mahafffey in support for French Exit. I can see her taking Bakalova's spot at the Oscars if they don't consider Bakalova's performance serious enough.

Stunt ensembles were mostly missing in action (forgive the pun) this year.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I thought I read somewhere that Hamilton was eligible in the film categories at the Golden Globes but in the TV Movie/Limited Series categories at SAG. But that was mistaken, or maybe that got changed.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

rolotomasi99 wrote
MALCOLM AND MARIE sounds like it is less a narrative film and more an opportunity for writer/director Sam Levinson to air petty grievances against all his critics, but professional and personal. It sounds like the worst kind of indulgent nonsense, and I would be very surprised if any members of SAG took it seriously.
In an age where everyone is hyper-focused (and not unjustifiably) about making sure that the right people are telling certain stories, I will never understand how this ridiculously privileged white guy has gotten away with telling the story of a teen black girl and her transgender friend (Euphoria) and escaped blowback. Probably due to the fact that it's television. Maybe a chamber drama where he imagines himself as John David Washington complaining about critics will put that to an end.
Big Magilla wrote wrote
OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A LEADING MALE ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE
Riz Ahmed, Sound of Metal
Chadwick Boseman, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
Anthony Hopkins, The Father
Delroy Lindo, Da 5 Bloods
Steven Yeun, Minari

OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A LEADING FEMALE ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE
Viola Davis, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
Clare Dunne, Herself
Vanessa Kirby, Pieces of a Woman
Frances McDormand, Nomadland
Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman

OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A SUPPORTING MALE ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE
Sacha Baron Cohen, The Trial of the Chicago 7
Brian Dennehy, Driveways
Frank Langella, The Trial of the Chicago 7
Leslie Odom Jr., One Night in Miami...
Paul Raci, Sound of Metal

OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A SUPPORTING FEMALE ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE
Amanda Seyfried, Mank
Yuh-Jung Youn, Minarai

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
Minari
Nomadland
One Night in Miami

OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A STUNT ENSEMBLE IN A MOTION PICTURE
Bad Boys for Life
Birds of Prey
Da 5 Bloods
Tenet
Good choices, Magilla. I can't really argue with most of them.

- The Trial of the Chicago 7 could definitely score two nominations. I'm not sure if Frank Langella will be the one getting a supporting nomination over Mark Rylance but it all depends on how much the film goes over.
- Not sure Herself has a high enough profile but the writer/actress thing could certainly help Claire Dunne, who before your post I thought was Claire Danes that you had misspelled.
- Brian Dennehy for Driveways could happen. They nominated James Gandolfini for Enough Said. I feel like both films had higher profiles but stranger things have happened.
- Da 5 Bloods and The Trial of the Chicago 7 for Best Performance by Stunt Ensemble will be terrible nominations as their stunt work looked terrible.
- Starting to wonder if The White Tiger, which is starting to pick up a little attention, could bode well for Adarsh Gourav and Priyanka Chopra.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A SUPPORTING MALE ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE

Paul Dennehy, Driveways
That's Brian, I presume.
You presume correctly. Thanks for the heads-up.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A SUPPORTING MALE ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE

Paul Dennehy, Driveways
That's Brian, I presume.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

anonymous1980 wrote:

Daveed Diggs, Renee Elise Goldsberry, Jonathan Groff, Christopher Jackson, Jasmine Cephas Jones, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Leslie Odom Jr., Okieriete Onaodowan, Anthony Ramos and Philippa Soo, Hamilton

I hadn't thought about that, but that seems really likely. Are we sure it is eligible?

Also, I believe every cast member gets their own title card. Could it be a lot more names than this?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Sabin wrote:Zendaya could benefit from Malcolm and Marie hype and a very hot couple of years but Malcolm and Marie has received a little more muted reviews than expected.
MALCOLM AND MARIE sounds like it is less a narrative film and more an opportunity for writer/director Sam Levinson to air petty grievances against all his critics, but professional and personal. It sounds like the worst kind of indulgent nonsense, and I would be very surprised if any members of SAG took it seriously.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”