Honorary Oscars

For the films of 2020
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Honorary Oscars

Post by OscarGuy »

One of the reasons Italiano was banned from the board was the incessant and aggressive posts he made at members. I got several complaints and after numerous warnings, he continued to present the same attitude. Yes, BJ's departure was primarily because of Italiano, but I know that at least one member has left because of Reza specifically, and I know many other members who simply cannot stomach coming to this board anymore because some members want to lace their anti-American screed with film criticism. I find it very rich that people from despotic or anti-Democratic nations would so frequently attack the US for perceptions of what America is like (especially since populism and isolationism has popped up all over the world, even in once liberal nations).

Even when the most liberal members of this site prove that they are more open-minded than many Americans and that we do not at all support American Imperialism now or in the past, we still get attacked for it. Ever since Italiano left, Reza has taken on his mantle of Bash America at All Opportunities. It does create a hostile environment for anyone who happens to be American even if they disagree with many decisions made in America. It's frustrating and its unnecessary.

Then there's the comments that are bandied about by Trump and his cadre of supporters that are homophobic, transphobic, racist, and sexist. When those of us who live in this nation log on to see those exact same comments coming out of people's keyboards who should know better, how do they not expect us to believe the worst. There's an old saying that goes when someone shows you who they are, believe them. If you don't want people to think you're a bigot, don't trot out the old chestnut phrases that bigots use to defend themselves. Apologize for the offense caused and try not to do it again. That's what adults should be doing.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Reza wrote
Accent on the "several cultural backgrounds and from different parts of the world".

It is very easy here to misinterpret a thought or view coming from a different cultural background. The majority of Americans are totally deaf dumb and blind and are so fixated on their own narrow views that they often overlook what the other person is actually trying to convey.
I think I've got a pretty good idea of what you're trying to convey. And I also think when you make the same point all the time, it's disingenuous to act surprised when someone calls you out on it or makes the wrong assumption.
"How's the despair?"
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Gee, I go away for a couple of hours and look what happens!

I don't check this board nearly as much as I used to, mostly because I am sick of the toxicity and hateful comments made by some members. I've put up for years on this board for being an Ugly American, and the blatant homophobia, transphobia, and racism that have seeped through this community just got to be too much for me. I am tired of the attacks. I've distanced myself from several current and former members on social media because of these posts, and I try to avoid these conversations. At this point, I mostly drop in to see what Tee or Sabin or other members I don't talk to outside of here say because I'm interested in their thoughtful insight. Instead, I usually get unsupported rants and sniping.

Maybe it is just time to close up shop here because I'm sick of all of this. We are rapidly driving away our most compassionate and intelligent posters and left with hate speech, anti-diversity rants, one-line pans of lovely movies, and this sort of inanity.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

mlrg wrote:Probably the problem with this board it’s that is not diverse enough. Awardsworthy might be filled with kids but at least the level of representation of several cultural backgrounds and from different parts of the world is high enough that there is no issues about inclusivity and sharing different opinions which apparently this board have.
Accent on the "several cultural backgrounds and from different parts of the world".

It is very easy here to misinterpret a thought or view coming from a different cultural background. The majority of Americans are totally deaf dumb and blind and are so fixated on their own narrow views that they often overlook what the other person is actually trying to convey.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote:Let me tell you something about Tyler Perry. That guy used to be such a joke. He made what I have heard are awful movies. I've never seen one of them. But they were perceived as a joke within the collective unconscious of -- let's be honest -- white audiences. That guy has a machine in Atlanta, Georgia that makes so much television and so many movies, and employs so many people. Atlanta, Georgia is a ridiculous hub for filmmaking in this country and Tyler Perry is one of the big reasons. And to combat COVID, Tyler Perry spearheaded new measures to ensure that filmmaking could continue with the health of the cast and crew in mind. It is my understanding that Hollywood has largely followed his lead. Additionally, you may not like the movies and TV that he makes (again: I have not seen 99% of it), but he has created a filmmaking empire in Atlanta, Georgia that employs a staggering number of people in the industry (black and white) and gives roles to countless black actors, writers, and directors.

Regardless of the year, Tyler Perry was going to get one of these awards at some point. That is absolutely guaranteed. But his efforts to protect cast and crew in Atlanta led the scene -- especially because black and brown people disproportionately make up the number of infections in this country. He took it that much more seriously.

He is literally a very good choice for this award .
And I totally agree with the Academy on giving Tyler the Hersholt. He deserves it.

Did I say anything about him getting this particular award? Yes, I would have made my usual noise if he was being given the award for his CAREER. But it was given for his charity work. And it is most deserved.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Sabin wrote:
mlrg wrote
It's like calling disrespectful my reaction to Boseman's winning the Golden Globe because I called its dreadful win. But let's say if… well.. I think Judy Holiday won her Oscar in a dreadful film in what was a dreadful performance… was I being disrespectful and should be "warned"?.... If that's the case, it's better to delete all previous discussions on this board about previous winners because there are very vile opinions towards some choices the Academy has made over the years around here.
I said it was disrespectful because he just died. You don't have to delete any opinions. You're fine. My point was this: "Maybe when we're talking about the guy who just died, we don't say 'a dreadful performance in a dreadful film.'" I'm pretty sure I would've said the same thing about people saying as much about Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight.

Wasn't this issue resolved between us?
Yes it is. You are educated enough to understand what I was trying to say and I to understand and accept your point. No need to accuse the other person of something.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Probably the problem with this board it’s that is not diverse enough. Awardsworthy might be filled with kids but at least the level of representation of several cultural backgrounds and from different parts of the world is high enough that there is no issues about inclusivity and sharing different opinions which apparently this board have.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Reza wrote
I guess I make these comments because each year it is repeated by these different organizations. I wish it would be a once in a while thing too so I can finally start believing that their choices are made with actual diversity in mind and on merit.
I want to be very clear. I'm not calling you a racist. I'm staying out of that.

I don't care why you make these comments. And it's not twice a year when the Academy announces the Jean Hersholt Award and the Globes announce the Cecil B. DeMille, or whatever. It's the same point and it's all the time, so you can't be surprised that somebody makes the leap when you often times post snarky smiley faces by them.

Let me tell you something about Tyler Perry. That guy used to be such a joke. He made what I have heard are awful movies. I've never seen one of them. But they were perceived as a joke within the collective unconscious of -- let's be honest -- white audiences. That guy has a machine in Atlanta, Georgia that makes so much television and so many movies, and employs so many people. Atlanta, Georgia is a ridiculous hub for filmmaking in this country and Tyler Perry is one of the big reasons. And to combat COVID, Tyler Perry spearheaded new measures to ensure that filmmaking could continue with the health of the cast and crew in mind. It is my understanding that Hollywood has largely followed his lead. Additionally, you may not like the movies and TV that he makes (again: I have not seen 99% of it), but he has created a filmmaking empire in Atlanta, Georgia that employs a staggering number of people in the industry (black and white) and gives roles to countless black actors, writers, and directors.

Regardless of the year, Tyler Perry was going to get one of these awards at some point. That is absolutely guaranteed. But his efforts to protect cast and crew in Atlanta led the scene -- especially because black and brown people disproportionately make up the number of infections in this country. He took it that much more seriously.

He is literally a very good choice for this award .
Last edited by Sabin on Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

danfrank wrote:Look, I realize that being called out for racism can be a jarring thing. It’s not a matter of some people being racist and others not. All of us—certainly including me—have internalized racism. It’s impossible for us not to in a world long marked by white dominance and colonialism. It impacts our perceptions without us even being aware of it most of the time, e.g., being more hostile to a (perhaps) overpraised performance by a black actor as compared to one by a white actor. We’re either actively working against this internalized racism, stubbornly holding onto it, or pretending it doesn’t exist (e.g., “certainly not in me!”). Time has proven that these latter two approaches keep us in the status quo, a painfully racist society. I sincerely hope you all will join me in dong the internal and external work to make the world less racist.
What a sanctimonius speech. I applaud you because it matches this suddenly discovered sentiment prevailing in your country.
Last edited by Reza on Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

danfrank wrote:Reza, the fact that you dragged out the “but some of my best friends are..” trope only digs your grave deeper.
But it's the truth.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote:Like, seriously, it's all the time. This isn't a once in a while thing.
I guess I make these comments because each year it is repeated by these different organizations. I wish it would be a once in a while thing too so I can finally start believing that their choices are made with actual diversity in mind and on merit.
Last edited by Reza on Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Reza wrote
Sabin wrote
He thinks that the push for diversity in the Academy and generally the conversation being had in the United States is ridiculous.
No it is NOT ridiculous at all. Diversity is good and most welcome. But with a lot of recent choices made by the Academy it is obvious that they are trying too hard just to shut up the dissenting voices accusing them of being too white. I find THAT amusing and NOT that diversity is being acknowledged. It should be acknowledged on merit. Not to fill in the slots to look good as an organization.
And some people on this board agree with you, some people don't. But that's not the point. The point is you make this point CONSTANTLY, you make it with snark, and it's always about race. If you want to act astonished that somebody calls you a racist, that's your choice, but literally all the time everyone on this board reads your comments about how laughable these attempts at diversity. If you think it's that important to laugh at these attempts at diversity every single time, then don't be surprised if somebody calls you a racist simply out of exhaustion.

Like, seriously, it's all the time. This isn't a once in a while thing.
"How's the despair?"
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

OscarGuy wrote:
I personally found your comments on Boseman in bad taste simply because I disagreed with the way you were expressing them, not that you were allowed to dislike the performance. I dislike most of what Will Smith does, but I also wouldn't have expressed it in the way you did, with a level of vehement vitriol that felt utterly inappropriate in the situation. That doesn't mean I think you're racist for holding that view as I'm sure you wouldn't think me racist for disliking Will Smith.
I agree with you on this 100%. But danfrank directly stated, and flipp implied, that my comments were based on race and not the quality of the performance and that's exactly what you guys find it hard to draw the line between when something is being commented.

And frankly, this sort of comments, behaviour and accusations, either direct or implied, from both danfrank and flipp should be addresses directly by the owner of this board because frankly I'm starting to get fed up by the level of disdain (some) you people have for non US members of the board.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote:He thinks that the push for diversity in the Academy and generally the conversation being had in the United States is ridiculous.
No it is NOT ridiculous at all. Diversity is good and most welcome. But with a lot of recent choices made by the Academy it is obvious that they are trying too hard just to shut up the dissenting voices accusing them of being too white. I find THAT amusing and NOT that diversity is being acknowledged. It should be acknowledged on merit. Not to fill in the slots to look good as an organization.

There has recently been a lot of flak about the Hollywood Foreign Press not having a single black member. Everyone unanimously thought Frances McDormand or Carey Mulligan or Vanessa Kirby had a lock on the Globe. And suddenly Andra Day wins. I find that typical of what has lately been going on - the pressure being put on organizations to "do the right thing". Or they themselves coming up with choices to "look good".
Last edited by Reza on Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

danfrank wrote
Reza, I mostly try to ignore what you write but the pride you seem to take in your own blatant racism is revolting. It’s toxic and has driven people like BJ away from this board. Please just stop.
I think you mean to say "It's the kind of comments" that drove BJ from this board. It seems as though BJ chose to leave because of Italiano's comments specifically. We should be careful about accusations. But certainly, he left because of similar sentiments. Which, again, I will say again: are written at every opportunity, if not every day.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”