Honorary Oscars

For the films of 2020
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Honorary Oscars

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
Reza wrote
Frankly the only "coloured" minority member on this board amongst you white guys is me.
Not so.
That might be true but this board is predominantly filled with white people. We shouldn't pretend otherwise.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

mlrg wrote
So danfrank my advise to you is that you read other's people words carefully before insulting them. It's called empathy in case you don't know.
Oh calm down. Reza knows exactly what he's doing.
Reza wrote
But then none of these ladies fall under the diversity bandwagon the Academy is now so hilariously compelled to follow.
See? Every day, Reza posts something like this. He likes doing it. You don't need to defend it. He thinks that the push for diversity in the Academy and generally the conversation being had in the United States is ridiculous. He mentions it in every other post for because either he wants to get a reaction from us, he either thinks it's so desperately important that it must come up every day, or he thinks it's hilarious. Often times he posts smiley face emojis by it. And look, I've already had my altercation on this board so I'm sitting this one out. Anyone else wants to say what they want about Reza, go for it. I would be very interested in knowing how he doesn't want a reaction.

So, let's be consistent. How does it make sense to demand that you show empathy for someone who mocks a push for diversity and -- again -- wants a reaction by doing it every day?
"How's the despair?"
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Reza, the fact that you dragged out the “but some of my best friends are..” trope only digs your grave deeper. Everything you’ve written on this thread indicates that you are in the “stubbornly clinging to” category I mentioned earlier. You and I are universes apart so I won’t bother to argue my points further, but please know that I will not stand by when I read comments that are racist, sexist, homophobic, etc.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:The fact of the matter is that The Original BJ absolutely did leave the Board because of Reza. I’m glad someone is finally stating that out loud. And it wasn’t just his racism, which tends to come out even more frequently these days, but also his quite overt, hostile homophobia.
This is the first I'm hearing that BJ left because of me. I'm sorry if this is true. Could you please elaborate WHY he left and WHAT I said that made him leave?

And I would also like to know why you think I'm homophobic. I'm especially amused about this accusation considering I have many very close friends and family members who are gay and I spend a lot of time around them enjoying their company. They would find this accusation particularly funny and absurd.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:
Reza wrote:Frankly the only "coloured" minority member on this board amongst you white guys is me.
Not so.
Then its good to know that this Oscar Board is not so white after all.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:Frankly the only "coloured" minority member on this board amongst you white guys is me.
Not so.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:The fact of the matter is that The Original BJ absolutely did leave the Board because of Reza. I’m glad someone is finally stating that out loud. And it wasn’t just his racism, which tends to come out even more frequently these days, but also his quite overt, hostile homophobia.

There’s very little doubt in my mind that the majority of the Board would trade Reza and his long-winded summaries of films and obituaries, and his tired version of racism for the kind of astute commentary BJ offered that put this place on the map in the first place.

And mlrg, you do have some sort of obsession with hating Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom. It’s not my favorite film of the year by far, but you’ve stated it over and over and over again to the point of suspicion.

I applaud danfrank for calling out racism when he sees it. It’s not acceptable anywhere but especially here.
Lord.....that massive chip on your shoulder will be your end one of these days. The pot calling the kettle black... you are one of the most obnoxious members on this Board.
Last edited by Reza on Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

OscarGuy wrote:mlrg, what Reza said, is typical of the white-wing punditry who seem to think that all instances of self-regulation or other commitments to equity are "cancel culture," which is a fancy buzz word that means they don't like being held accountable for their words or actions. The Academy hasn't done anything other than committing to ensure that people who have been long discriminated against in the industry are given more opportunities. Claiming it's some attempt to marginalize anyone with a contrary opinion is not only missing the point, but the exact kind of reaction that white privilege allows.

For some reason, people in the majority think that any attempt to give the same rights and benefits to minority people is tantamount to taking away their rights. An expression of "But then none of these ladies fall under the diversity bandwagon the Academy is now so hilariously compelled to follow." is exactly this kind of viewpoint. Reza thinks that diversity is bunkum because he is part of the majority and doesn't recognize the systemic issues that face people of color, women, or members of the LGBTQ community.

Part of being progressive is being open to discussing what it's like being in the minority and the uphill battles those individuals face rather than sticking your fingers in your ears and claiming there's no misogyny, racism, or homophobia at play.

I personally found your comments on Boseman in bad taste simply because I disagreed with the way you were expressing them, not that you were allowed to dislike the performance. I dislike most of what Will Smith does, but I also wouldn't have expressed it in the way you did, with a level of vehement vitriol that felt utterly inappropriate in the situation. That doesn't mean I think you're racist for holding that view as I'm sure you wouldn't think me racist for disliking Will Smith.

Reza has said plenty of things in the recent past that are sexist, racist, and homophobic. Since we have no women on this board and I'm pretty sure we have no black members, either. It seems like the gay members of this board are fighting back against this type of cavalier and dangerous attitudes. We understand discrimination because we've faced it for decades. While we won't ever know what it's like to be black or to be a woman, we do know what discrimination looks and feels like and we're not going to permit that kind of attitude to thrive in a place that many of us have thought was a safer space for being ourselves.

The words coming out of Reza's keyboard are the same words we see every day coming out of Trump supporters incensed about this, that, or some other "cancel culture" attitude. It's why we typically jump right in on it and call it out so that it's understood that these sentiments are not healthy, are not appropriate, and are definitely not welcome on this board. When you are perpetually surrounded by evil and that evil uses the same kind of language, it's hard not to see the evil in the words. And while I don't believe Reza is evil, he really should consider what he says before saying it. Being a snarky asshole as a way to rebuke the minority members of this board and somehow impugn opinions to the contrary is a rather cowardly approach and it certainly doesn't speak well to his credibility or protestations to the contrary.
As usual you are talking out of your ass and I strongly disagree with everything you are saying here. By the way WHICH minority members are you talking about on the board here? Frankly the only "coloured" minority member on this board amongst you white guys is me.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

mlrg wrote:
danfrank wrote:Look, I realize that being called out for racism can be a jarring thing. It’s not a matter of some people being racist and others not. All of us—certainly including me—have internalized racism. It’s impossible for us not to in a world long marked by white dominance and colonialism. It impacts our perceptions without us even being aware of it most of the time, e.g., being more hostile to a (perhaps) overpraised performance by a black actor as compared to one by a white actor. We’re either actively working against this internalized racism, stubbornly holding onto it, or pretending it doesn’t exist (e.g., “certainly not in me!”). Time has proven that these latter two approaches keep us in the status quo, a painfully racist society. I sincerely hope you all will join me in dong the internal and external work to make the world less racist.
Well, I'm all in favor of balance, which is, in my opinion, what is not this type of positioning is. It's like calling disrespectful my reaction to Boseman's winning the Golden Globe because I called its dreadful win. But let's say if… well.. I think Judy Holiday won her oscar in a dreadful film in what was a dreadful performance… was I being disrespectful and should be "warned"?.... If that's the case, it's better to delete all previous discussions on this board about previous winners because there are very vile opinions towards some choices the Academy has made over the years around here.
EXACTLY
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

danfrank wrote:I’ve read Reza’s posts long enough to know that he certainly expresses racist views. Your recent relentless attacks on Chadwick Bozeman make me suspicious of you as well, Mirg, and your quick defense of Reza rather confirms it. I’ve made a commitment to be actively anti-racist and will call it when I see it, as silence just perpetuates racism.
So hating Ma Rainey or Boseman's performance is being racist?

Get a bloody life dude!!
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

mlrg wrote:
danfrank wrote:Reza, I mostly try to ignore what you write but the pride you seem to take in your own blatant racism is revolting. It’s toxic and has driven people like BJ away from this board. Please just stop.
For me what's revolting is the level of agression of calling someone a racist and label his (or hers) comments as toxic when by no means those words are racist and are only an opinion on the behaviour of a certain organization.

So danfrank my advise to you is that you read other's people words carefully before insulting them. It's called empathy in case you don't know.
It is pointless to explain this to most here unfortunately. It's easy to shout out RACIST instead. I remember saying I did not agree with the Academy's choice of giving an honorary Oscar to Cicely Tyson because most of her career highlights were either on stage or on television. Apart from Sounder none of her big screen films are worthwhile. She was a great actress and I can understand the Emmys giving her a career achievement award but not the Academy. It was obvious that they gave it to her after the uproar over the Oscars being so white all the time. I was of course called a racist for my view. Too many nutters here assuming all the time.
Last edited by Reza on Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

mlrg wrote
It's like calling disrespectful my reaction to Boseman's winning the Golden Globe because I called its dreadful win. But let's say if… well.. I think Judy Holiday won her Oscar in a dreadful film in what was a dreadful performance… was I being disrespectful and should be "warned"?.... If that's the case, it's better to delete all previous discussions on this board about previous winners because there are very vile opinions towards some choices the Academy has made over the years around here.
I said it was disrespectful because he just died. You don't have to delete any opinions. You're fine. My point was this: "Maybe when we're talking about the guy who just died, we don't say 'a dreadful performance in a dreadful film.'" I'm pretty sure I would've said the same thing about people saying as much about Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight.

Wasn't this issue resolved between us?
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:I'm pretty sure we have no black members.
Not so.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The fact of the matter is that The Original BJ absolutely did leave the Board because of Reza. I’m glad someone is finally stating that out loud. And it wasn’t just his racism, which tends to come out even more frequently these days, but also his quite overt, hostile homophobia.

There’s very little doubt in my mind that the majority of the Board would - in a heartbeat - trade in Reza and his long-winded summaries of films and obituaries, and his tired version of racism for the kind of astute commentary BJ offered that put this place on the map in the first place.

And mlrg, you do have some sort of obsession with hating Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom. It’s not my favorite film of the year by far, but you’ve stated it over and over and over again to the point of suspicion.

I applaud danfrank for calling out racism when he sees it. It’s not acceptable anywhere but especially here.
Last edited by flipp525 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

mlrg, what Reza said, is typical of the white-wing punditry who seem to think that all instances of self-regulation or other commitments to equity are "cancel culture," which is a fancy buzz word that means they don't like being held accountable for their words or actions. The Academy hasn't done anything other than committing to ensure that people who have been long discriminated against in the industry are given more opportunities. Claiming it's some attempt to marginalize anyone with a contrary opinion is not only missing the point, but the exact kind of reaction that white privilege allows.

For some reason, people in the majority think that any attempt to give the same rights and benefits to minority people is tantamount to taking away their rights. An expression of "But then none of these ladies fall under the diversity bandwagon the Academy is now so hilariously compelled to follow." is exactly this kind of viewpoint. Reza thinks that diversity is bunkum because he is part of the majority and doesn't recognize the systemic issues that face people of color, women, or members of the LGBTQ community.

Part of being progressive is being open to discussing what it's like being in the minority and the uphill battles those individuals face rather than sticking your fingers in your ears and claiming there's no misogyny, racism, or homophobia at play.

I personally found your comments on Boseman in bad taste simply because I disagreed with the way you were expressing them, not that you were allowed to dislike the performance. I dislike most of what Will Smith does, but I also wouldn't have expressed it in the way you did, with a level of vehement vitriol that felt utterly inappropriate in the situation. That doesn't mean I think you're racist for holding that view as I'm sure you wouldn't think me racist for disliking Will Smith.

Reza has said plenty of things in the recent past that are sexist, racist, and homophobic. Since we have no women on this board and I'm pretty sure we have no black members, either. It seems like the gay members of this board are fighting back against this type of cavalier and dangerous attitudes. We understand discrimination because we've faced it for decades. While we won't ever know what it's like to be black or to be a woman, we do know what discrimination looks and feels like and we're not going to permit that kind of attitude to thrive in a place that many of us have thought was a safer space for being ourselves.

The words coming out of Reza's keyboard are the same words we see every day coming out of Trump supporters incensed about this, that, or some other "cancel culture" attitude. It's why we typically jump right in on it and call it out so that it's understood that these sentiments are not healthy, are not appropriate, and are definitely not welcome on this board. When you are perpetually surrounded by evil and that evil uses the same kind of language, it's hard not to see the evil in the words. And while I don't believe Reza is evil, he really should consider what he says before saying it. Being a snarky asshole as a way to rebuke the minority members of this board and somehow impugn opinions to the contrary is a rather cowardly approach and it certainly doesn't speak well to his credibility or protestations to the contrary.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”