Honorary Oscars

For the films of 2020
mlrg
Associate

Re: Honorary Oscars

Post by mlrg »

danfrank wrote:Look, I realize that being called out for racism can be a jarring thing. It’s not a matter of some people being racist and others not. All of us—certainly including me—have internalized racism. It’s impossible for us not to in a world long marked by white dominance and colonialism. It impacts our perceptions without us even being aware of it most of the time, e.g., being more hostile to a (perhaps) overpraised performance by a black actor as compared to one by a white actor. We’re either actively working against this internalized racism, stubbornly holding onto it, or pretending it doesn’t exist (e.g., “certainly not in me!”). Time has proven that these latter two approaches keep us in the status quo, a painfully racist society. I sincerely hope you all will join me in dong the internal and external work to make the world less racist.
Well, I'm all in favor of balance, which is, in my opinion, what is not this type of positioning is. It's like calling disrespectful my reaction to Boseman's winning the Golden Globe because I called its dreadful win. But let's say if… well.. I think Judy Holiday won her oscar in a dreadful film in what was a dreadful performance… was I being disrespectful and should be "warned"?.... If that's the case, it's better to delete all previous discussions on this board about previous winners because there are very vile opinions towards some choices the Academy has made over the years around here.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

P.S. My intention is to call people “in” rather than call people out on their racist (and other oppressive) behaviors, though sometimes it just pisses me off.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Look, I realize that being called out for racism can be a jarring thing. It’s not a matter of some people being racist and others not. All of us—certainly including me—have internalized racism. It’s impossible for us not to in a world long marked by white dominance and colonialism. It impacts our perceptions without us even being aware of it most of the time, e.g., being more hostile to a (perhaps) overpraised performance by a black actor as compared to one by a white actor. We’re either actively working against this internalized racism, stubbornly holding onto it, or pretending it doesn’t exist (e.g., “certainly not in me!”). Time has proven that these latter two approaches keep us in the status quo, a painfully racist society. I sincerely hope you all will join me in dong the internal and external work to make the world less racist.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

danfrank wrote:I’ve read Reza’s posts long enough to know that he certainly expresses racist views. Your recent relentless attacks on Chadwick Bozeman make me suspicious of you as well, Mirg, and your quick defense of Reza rather confirms it. I’ve made a commitment to be actively anti-racist and will call it when I see it, as silence just perpetuates racism.
The fact that you are calling me a racist just because I think Chadwick Boseman (with an S) is an average actor and gives a mediocre performance in a dreadful film is completely offensive to say the least. Absolutely no comment I made about Boseman was anywhere near racist and you are just ASSUMING that I'm a racist based on your SUSPICION, so I would like you to paraphrase any comment on remark that I made that makes me a racist.

You can be actively whatever you want but base your activism on facts not on suspicions and assumptions.

And I will be waiting for your apology.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

I’ve read Reza’s posts long enough to know that he certainly expresses racist views. Your recent relentless attacks on Chadwick Bozeman make me suspicious of you as well, Mirg, and your quick defense of Reza rather confirms it. I’ve made a commitment to be actively anti-racist and will call it when I see it, as silence just perpetuates racism.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

danfrank wrote:Reza, I mostly try to ignore what you write but the pride you seem to take in your own blatant racism is revolting. It’s toxic and has driven people like BJ away from this board. Please just stop.
For me what's revolting is the level of agression of calling someone a racist and label his (or hers) comments as toxic when by no means those words are racist and are only an opinion on the behaviour of a certain organization.

So danfrank my advise to you is that you read other's people words carefully before insulting them. It's called empathy in case you don't know.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Reza, I mostly try to ignore what you write but the pride you seem to take in your own blatant racism is revolting. It’s toxic and has driven people like BJ away from this board. Please just stop.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:
Reza wrote:Wonder why they decided against giving other Honorary Oscars apart from the Hersholt.
Maybe they couldn't convince anyone else to appear live in the midst of the pandemic.
Going by way of the Globes there is now no need for live presentations during these weird times as the ceremony could be so easily zoomed in.

Wishful thinking of course but this particular ceremony could have been a great event if the Academy had decided to honour a bunch of international women with honorary Oscars for their important contributions to cinema.

Liv Ullmann - Norway
Catherine Deneuve - France
Hanna Schygulla - Germany
Irene Pappas - Greece
Carmen Maura - Spain
Harriet Andersson - Sweden

But then none of these ladies fall under the diversity bandwagon the Academy is now so hilariously compelled to follow.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

anonymous1980 wrote:Will there be other Honorary Awards recipients this year? Who do you think it will/should be?
If it does happen would like to see them give it to Liv Ullmann.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:
Reza wrote:Wonder why they decided against giving other Honorary Oscars apart from the Hersholt.
Maybe they couldn't convince anyone else to appear live in the midst of the pandemic.
I guess you are right although they could have provided a live hook up from home via sattelite â la Mary Pickford & Myrna Loy to the aged prospective recipients.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Wonder why they decided against giving other Honorary Oscars apart from the Hersholt.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

He's one of two recipient of the Hersholt this year. The Motion Picture Fund is also receiving one. Wonder who'll accept that one on their behalf.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Honorary Oscars

Post by anonymous1980 »

The first (and only?) of this year's Honorary Oscars has been announced.

Tyler Perry will receive the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian award.

Based on this press release, it seems to imply that they will be giving it to him during the main telecast. (He also got an Honorary Award from the Emmys as well).

Will they be doing it for the rest of the Honorary Awards recipients? Will there be other Honorary Awards recipients this year? Who do you think it will/should be? We'll see.

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”