April 2021 Oscars Will Be In-Person

For the films of 2020
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: April 2021 Oscars Will Be In-Person

Post by OscarGuy »

Flights and accommodations are usually put up by the production company responsible for the Oscar campaign itself. So, even if Yeun or Youn are not made of money, I have little doubt that A24 will make it happen.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I think the moment Daniel Kaluuya's connection went haywire at the Globes, the Oscar producers decided, no, we can't have a show that looks like that. The relatively graceful and in-person Grammy production probably enforced their view. They really want to have something approximating the usual Oscars.

But they're probably a couple of months too early for that. When they initially set this date, I think they envisioned a reasonably wide-open America. But summer is the earliest that's going to be possible, so they're still forced to choose among bad options.

And their biggest problem is what everybody cheered for on Monday: diversity of nominees in this particular case translates out to wide geographical disparity. As I count it, roughly half the acting nominees don't call the U.S. home. Most of those will have to deal with stringent travel-and-quarantine protocols, all for one night where their chances of getting on camera and speaking are only 1 in 5. (For best actor candidates not named Boseman, make that 0 in 4.) I'm fearful we'll have the sort of low-attendance show we used to have back in the 70s, when sometimes only two nominees showed up for some categories (like best actor 1975).

One thought: if the Academy is going to ban electronic connections, they should offer some subsidy for nominees to make it worth their while to come. I know: movie stars, they can afford it. Which is true for Hopkins or Close, but I'm not sure is the same for Youn.

I don't doubt these producers are working feverishly to make it work well. But I have my doubts they'll pull it off. Oh, and doesn't it seem they REALLY need a host? Trevor Noah was a lot of the reason why the Grammys didn't feel scattershot; I think these Oscars will need a similar North star, given the (at least) dual locations they're talking about.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Hopkins decided long ago not to attend awards ceremony so even if this was a normal year he wouldn't attend either.

On the other hand his Instagram account is a joy to follow.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Travel may be an issue for Yuh-jung Youn but Hopkins was a no-show on zoom at the Globes so I wouldn't expect him to attend anyway.

It will be interesting to see how many nominees and "invited guests" actually show up.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

No Zoom options for nominees unable or too concerned to attend.

Hopefully Anthony Hopkins and Yuh-jun Youn will have been vaccinated by Oscar time so they could attend.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I think the worst case scenario is that it's gonna be like the Emmys this year. With the new more competent administration coming in as well as vaccines, the situation can change in a few weeks. They're still a few months away. They're NOT gonna cancel it.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I know, I'm the only one who continues to wonder if we'll even have the Oscars. But this article suggests it's more in the air than most want to believe. (And, given everything else that's going on, seems just laughably irrelevant.)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... d-19-surge
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

anonymous1980 wrote:Steven Soderbergh will co-produce the 93rd Oscars.

I wonder what he'll bring to the table. I can't wait to see it.
Professionalism, sophistication, no parade of tourists from the theatre next door who couldn't care less about the Oscars, no junk food being served to the audience in their seats.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Steven Soderbergh will co-produce the 93rd Oscars.

I wonder what he'll bring to the table. I can't wait to see it.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

"Clarification: An earlier version of this story reported that the Academy confirmed that an in-person ceremony would take place. That was incorrect. The Academy has not set their plans for the Oscars."
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

There should be no Oscars this year. Holding an in-person ceremony is stupid and irresponsible.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:The Dolby seats 3,400.
So then 200-300 nominees can easily be seated with social distancing.

I don't know why they have extended the eligibility date upto Feb 28. Which prominent films are getting a release during January and February? Surely there are more than enough films already eligible during the calander year (Jan-Dec 2020).
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Dolby seats 3,400.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I calculated it. Even if it's JUST gonna be the nominees attending without plus one's, there's gonna be around 200 people. Can you safely fit 200 people socially distanced in the Dolby Theater?

Another idea is to hold it at the Hollywood Bowl. It's big. It's outdoors. You can socially distance a few hundred people. It would be the safest option for an in-person ceremony. The risk factor would be the weather though.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

April 2021 Oscars Will Be In-Person

Post by Big Magilla »

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”