For the films of 2020
criddic3
Tenured

Re: My first Oscar predictions!

Post by criddic3 »

Reza wrote:
Sabin wrote:
Reza wrote
I think you may be underestimating Boseman's performance in the Spike Lee film. I have a feeling he will win for this performance and not for Ma Rainey where he has very strong competition from both Hopkins and Riz Ahmed.
We’ll see. I think Daniel Kaluuya in Judas... might be stronger competition in Supporting.
Oh shoot forgot about Kaluuya :P
Daniel Kaluuya wasn't eligible for my personal awards, since I didn't expand the time frame. He'll be eligible next year, along with such names as Andra Day, Jodie Foster and Stanley Tucci if they hold up against further competition by then. It would interesting to know how the Oscar race would have played out in normal times.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote:
Reza wrote
I think you may be underestimating Boseman's performance in the Spike Lee film. I have a feeling he will win for this performance and not for Ma Rainey where he has very strong competition from both Hopkins and Riz Ahmed.
We’ll see. I think Daniel Kaluuya in Judas... might be stronger competition in Supporting.
Oh shoot forgot about Kaluuya :P
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Reza wrote
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote:My sense is that sentiment has pretty much consolidated around Best Actor for Chadwick Boseman pretty strongly. He might not even get nominated for Best Supporting Actor.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

criddic3 wrote
I believe I was comparing Boseman's resume with James Dean's, since Dean was nominated twice posthumously but did not win. I was wrestling with the scenario of whether or not this would weigh on the ultimate vote. I liked Boseman quite a lot in both films, but his competition isn't exactly light.
Chadwick Boseman's competition is much lighter than James Dean's was in 1955 and 1956.

My sense is that sentiment has pretty much consolidated around Best Actor for Chadwick Boseman pretty strongly. He might not even get nominated for Best Supporting Actor.
"How's the despair?"
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Sabin wrote:
criddic3 wrote
I would point two things out: Hopkins has never won at SAG, which has been mentioned elsewhere.
I don't think this is going to play a role in voters' minds.
mlrg wrote
I may accept that Black Panther might be a cultural event but assuming that his filmography is richer than Peter Finch or Heath Ledger is really farfetched and nowhere near an oscar nomination…
What ?
I believe I was comparing Boseman's resume with James Dean's, since Dean was nominated twice posthumously but did not win. I was wrestling with the scenario of whether or not this would weigh on the ultimate vote. I liked Boseman quite a lot in both films, but his competition isn't exactly light.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

flipp525 wrote
I thought that Clarke Peters was the stand-out supporting performance in Da 5 Bloods. I wonder why he hasn’t gotten more traction.
FilmFan720 wrote
Yes!! So lovely of a performance.
Agreed. I have a critic friend who gave him points on his Best Supporting Actor ballot. I haven't really seen enough to venture putting one of those together but I could see that.

I think Delroy Lindo was such a grabby performance and Chadwick Boseman's passing sucked up all the attention an ensemble film like Da 5 Bloods could muster.
"How's the despair?"
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

flipp525 wrote:I thought that Clarke Peters was the stand-out supporting performance in Da 5 Bloods. I wonder why he hasn’t gotten more traction.
Yes!! So lovely of a performance.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I thought that Clarke Peters was the stand-out supporting performance in Da 5 Bloods. I wonder why he hasn’t gotten more traction.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:With Boseman, they're not just saying give it to the guy because he died which was part of the rationale for Peter Finch and maybe even Heath Ledger.

If you saw the interviews they did with kids at the Golden Globes where they asked questions about different films and performers, the only one they all knew was Chadwick Boseman because of Black Panther, which made him an icon. Besides dying too soon, critics, audiences, and especially his fellow actors, are in awe of the way he was able to to act in high-profile roles while hiding his stage 4 cancer. His potential SAG and Oscar wins may not be set in granite, but they're as close to a sure thing as anything can be in these uncertain times.
You are absolutely right, but that does not prevent me from regretting this situation, since I detest these narratives. We know, yes, we know, rarely is the whole thing about the acting, or just acting, but I loathe this narrative because the deceased status puts everyone else at an insurmountable disadvantage. The only good thing as a precedent is that to date the Academy has had the good sense of awarding posthumous performances for which it is difficult to argue that they were awarded only for the sentimental factor, since they are superlative performances. But here we are in the presence of a good performance, inspired perhaps, and theatrical enough to work given the material that it is, but hardly a performance that would be considered the favorite to win if the factor of the recent passing away of the beloved and popular actor was not added.
I agree, but it is what it is. Barring a change of heart when I finally get to see The Father, Riz Ahmed is my choice for Best Actor this year.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Sabin wrote:
criddic3 wrote
I would point two things out: Hopkins has never won at SAG, which has been mentioned elsewhere.
mlrg wrote
I may accept that Black Panther might be a cultural event but assuming that his filmography is richer than Peter Finch or Heath Ledger is really farfetched and nowhere near an oscar nomination…
What ?
I apologize if my English was not understandable. What I’m trying to say is that none of his previous film roles came close to an Oscar nomination which, for my understanding, was what criddic was trying to say while stating that Boseman was on the hunt to be nominated based on his filmography
Last edited by mlrg on Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

criddic3 wrote
mlrg wrote
What ?
"How's the despair?"
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Big Magilla wrote:With Boseman, they're not just saying give it to the guy because he died which was part of the rationale for Peter Finch and maybe even Heath Ledger.

If you saw the interviews they did with kids at the Golden Globes where they asked questions about different films and performers, the only one they all knew was Chadwick Boseman because of Black Panther, which made him an icon. Besides dying too soon, critics, audiences, and especially his fellow actors, are in awe of the way he was able to to act in high-profile roles while hiding his stage 4 cancer. His potential SAG and Oscar wins may not be set in granite, but they're as close to a sure thing as anything can be in these uncertain times.
You are absolutely right, but that does not prevent me from regretting this situation, since I detest these narratives. We know, yes, we know, rarely is the whole thing about the acting, or just acting, but I loathe this narrative because the deceased status puts everyone else at an insurmountable disadvantage. The only good thing as a precedent is that to date the Academy has had the good sense of awarding posthumous performances for which it is difficult to argue that they were awarded only for the sentimental factor, since they are superlative performances. But here we are in the presence of a good performance, inspired perhaps, and theatrical enough to work given the material that it is, but hardly a performance that would be considered the favorite to win if the factor of the recent passing away of the beloved and popular actor was not added.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

criddic3 wrote:You could also make the case that Boseman's resume is longer and that he has been in the hunt for an Oscar nomination several times before now.
Really?
His full movie filmography is the following:

The Express: The Ernie Davis Story

The Kill Hole

Draft Day
Get on Up

Gods of Egypt
Captain America: Civil War
Message from the King
Marshall

Black Panther
Avengers: Infinity War

Avengers: Endgame
21 Bridges

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

With Boseman, they're not just saying give it to the guy because he died which was part of the rationale for Peter Finch and maybe even Heath Ledger.

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”