Postponed 2020 Awards

For the films of 2020
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Postponed 2020 Awards

Post by OscarGuy »

These are the films that have Metacritic ratings of 80+. I believe most of them have done their Oscar qualifying runs. I've left a few out that I wasn't sure were documentaries or not.

Nomadland
Never Rarely Sometimes Always
First Cow
Boys State
Beanpole
The Vast of Night
Palm Springs
House of Hummingbird
Da 5 Bloods
Sorry We Missed You
Bacurau
Premature
She Dies Tomorrow
Kajillionaire
The Nest

Some others that aren't above 80, but could be Oscar players if the Academy will watch them (or those above for that matter)

The Assistant
Ammonite
The Personal History of David Copperfield
Babyteeth
i'm thinking of ending things
Shirley
End of Sentence
Ordinary Love
Miss Juneteenth
Blow the Man Down

Some that aren't well reviewed, but could still compete in a depressed slate:

Tenet
The Burnt Orange Heresy

Then there are these that are currently slated for release (my thoughts on if they will get released in parens)
Greenland (will be trash, not likely anywhere but techs)
The Glorias
A Call to Spy (not sure this will be that good)
Death on the Nile (will probably get bumped to 2021 or Christmas, but since the second or is it third? fourth? wave is sure to start with flu season, meaning most of the Thanksgiving/Christmas batch will get pushed)
Black Widow (will be pushed, unlike New Mutants, Disney will want this one to do well...or they could feel this is the perfect time to dump it since they were feeling pressured to make it, but not sure)
No Time to Die (will be pushed)
Soul (will be pushed, they have Onward to compete already, they don't need another)
Free Guy (probably won't be pushed, but its chances are only tech categories)

These are tentatively scheduled Christmas-ish releases, all of which I think will be pushed out as my second wave comment earlier suggests.

Dune
West Side Story
News of the World
Wonder Woman 1984
Respect (might not be pushed since it's currently only scheduled for a platform release)

Netflix films still to come this year and by the Academy's eligibility rules, they will be eligible.

The Devil All the Time
Enola Holmes (but is not likely to compete outside of craft categories)
The Boys in the Band
The 40-Year-Old Version
The Trial of the Chicago 7
Rebecca (probably won't be any good)

These are more Netflix films tentatively slated for 2020, but any of them could be pushed as they aren't officially scheduled yet.

Hillbilly Elegy
The Life Ahead
Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
Mank
The Prom

Long story short, Netflix could probably fill a Best Picture slate by itself if it really wanted to.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

nightwingnova wrote:At this rate, do we have enough quality candidates to have an award season?

I hope the arthouse circuit will screen just to get a good pool out there.
Films don't have to screen anywhere other than Netflix or one of its competing streaming services as long as they were made with the intention of being shown in theatres to be eligible this year. The exception may be extended for the 2021-2022 Oscars as well depending on how long the pandemic lasts. If at the that time, people no longer go to movies in theatres at all having gotten out of the habit who knows what will happen.
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

At this rate, do we have enough quality candidates to have an awards season?

I hope the arthouse circuit will screen just to get a good pool out there.
Last edited by nightwingnova on Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:Golden Globe nominations will be announced February 3, 2021, with awards given out live Feb 28, 2021.

https://www.goldenglobes.com/articles/h ... obe-awards
Awaiting the folllow-up press release, announcing cancellation.

Come on, people. Do we really still believe there are going to be movies and awards this Fall/winter? We'll be lucky if we're not all confined to quarters by then.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Golden Globe nominations will be announced February 3, 2021, with awards given out live Feb 28, 2021.

https://www.goldenglobes.com/articles/h ... obe-awards
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postponed 2020 Awards

Post by Big Magilla »

Following Oscar's cue, Critics' Choice, BAFTA and Spirit Independent have changed their dates as well.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/06/bafta ... 202237706/

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”