Post by Big Magilla »

I guess Tee and I both missed that one. :oops:
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Re: 92nd Oscar Trivia

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Big Magilla wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:
Uri wrote:(POSSIBLE SPOILER FOR ANYONE YET TO SEE ALL NINE BEST PICTURE NOMINEES) Marriage Story is the only one of the nine candidates whose narrative doesn't involve the death of a significant character. Looking back over the expanded best picture field, I can't find a similarly mortality-obsessed bunch -- 2012 seems to come closest, but has several misses.
Not sure Once Upon a Time in America fits the narrative. Deaths, yes, but not of what I'd call significant characters.
Are you referring to Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood perchance?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

1917 is the first nominee whose title is all numbers. If it wins, it will join Gigi and Argo as the winner with the shortest title.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:
Uri wrote:(POSSIBLE SPOILER FOR ANYONE YET TO SEE ALL NINE BEST PICTURE NOMINEES) Marriage Story is the only one of the nine candidates whose narrative doesn't involve the death of a significant character. Looking back over the expanded best picture field, I can't find a similarly mortality-obsessed bunch -- 2012 seems to come closest, but has several misses.
Not sure Once Upon a Time in America fits the narrative. Deaths, yes, but not of what I'd call significant characters.
In this semantic debate, I specifically chose the word "significant" rather than "primary" or "central" with that film in mind.

I'd argue that, since the movie wouldn't exist had those characters not arrived on Cielo Drive, the word "significant" applies.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Uri wrote:And on this very rare occasion I'm posting here - I do have my issues with the board right now, obviously -
I understand where you're coming from, but you're very much missed, my friend. In fact, when I saw this thread had started up, I thought to myself, we'd have had it a week ago if Uri were on the case.

A few oddball bits of trivia that I'd never have picked out myself, but read elsewhere:

All three editions of How to Train Your Dragon have now been nominated for animated feature. In each of those years, another entry that might have made the category ended up omitted (Tangled in 2010, The Lego Movie in 2014, Frozen 2 here) -- yet each of those left-out films managed a nomination for best song.

(POSSIBLE SPOILER FOR ANYONE YET TO SEE ALL NINE BEST PICTURE NOMINEES) Marriage Story is the only one of the nine candidates whose narrative doesn't involve the death of a significant character. Looking back over the expanded best picture field, I can't find a similarly mortality-obsessed bunch -- 2012 seems to come closest, but has several misses.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Actually, back in 1947, Jennifer Jones was just shy of her 28th birthday when she received her (consecutive, like Taylor's) forth nomination.

And on this very rare occasion I'm posting here - I do have my issues with the board right now, obviously - I'll add the followings:

Pacino is nominated 47 years after his first nod for The Godfather, second only to Hepburn's 48 year gap between her first and last nominations.

Pacino, Pesci and Bates were all nominated 29 years ago - they break the record previously held by Ellen Burstyn, Albert Finney and Jeff Bridges who were all nominated for 1974 and then again, 26 years later, for 2000. And a bonus point - back in 1990, Diane Ladd was nominated along P,P & B while this year we have her daughter on the lineup.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

FilmFan720 wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:Saoirse Ronan is the youngest actor/actress to receive 4 acting nominations dethroning Jennifer Lawrence.

Don't know if she is the youngest people to receive 4 nominations across all caterogies though.
Yes, she is.
No, she is not since she did not dethrone Lawrence.

Ronan was born on April 12th, 1994. The nominees for this year's Academy Awards were announced on January 13, 2020. Ronan was 25 + 8 months and 19 days.

Lawrence was born on August 15, 1990. The nominees for the 88th Academy Awards were announced on January 14, 2016. So, Lawrence was 25 + 4 months and 30 days.

Lawrence remains the youngest performer to achieve a 4th Academy Award nomination.

Not being this picky (not taking into account the exact day for nomination announcements), I checked this fact for other actresses:
- Meryl got her 4th nomination (Sophie's Choice) when she was around 34.
- Bette Davis at 32 (The Letter).
- Bergman at 33 (Joan of Arc).
- Blanchett at 39.
- Fonda at 41 (Coming Home).
- Amy Adams at 39.
- Taylor at 28 (who I think was the youngest before Lawrence and Ronan).

Can't remember right now the films for which Blanchett and Adams received their 4th nods, but this is what I have.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Precious Doll wrote:Saoirse Ronan is the youngest actor/actress to receive 4 acting nominations dethroning Jennifer Lawrence.

Don't know if she is the youngest people to receive 4 nominations across all caterogies though.
Yes, she is.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Saoirse Ronan is the youngest actor/actress to receive 4 acting nominations dethroning Jennifer Lawrence.

"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

As far as Korean nominees go, Jennifer Yuh Nelson (nominated for Best Animated Feature for Kung Fu Panda 2) is Korean-American and Karen O (nominated for Best Original Song for Her) is half-Korean on her mother's side. Su Kim nominated last year for Best Documentary is also Korean.

Here's kind of sad piece of trivia: If neither Greta Gerwig nor Krysty Wilson-Cairns win for Screenplay, the 2010's would be the first decade since the 1960's that a female didn't win a Screenplay Oscar.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

This is the first time that all Best Director nominees are also personally nominated for Best Picture (as producers of their films). And not only that, but all but one of them are also nominated for screenwriting.

Parasite and In the Absence are the first Korean films ever to receive Oscar nominations. I'm not sure if the people receiving the nominations for these films are the first Koreans ever to receive Oscar nominations. Best Animated Short nominees Sejong Park and Minkyu Lee are evidently of Korean descent, but I don't know if they ever even lived in Korea.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

1) A record 62 women have been nominated across all categories this year;

2) All the documentaries are directed or co-directed by women for the first time;

3) All the nominees for original screenplay include the film's directors who either wrote or co-wrote the screenplay. I'd say that would be a first.

4) Parasite is the first film from South Korea to be nominated in the Foreign Language category, though we all knew that was going to happen the moment it won the Palm at Cannes;

5) And speaking of Parasite goodness knows how many firsts there are for a person from Korea being the first nominated in various categories (I'm too lazy to do any research on that). I suppose it would every category in which the film has been nominated.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

All the nominated male actors, leading and supporting, have been in one or more films with at least one of this year's other acting nominees:

Antonio Banderas - Tom Hanks (Philadelphia), Brad Pitt (Interview with the Vampire), Jonathan Pryce (Evita)
Leonardo DiCaprio - Adam Driver (J. Edgar), Hanks (Catch Me If You Can), Kathy Bates (Revolutionary Road), Pitt, Robbie
Adam Driver - DiCaprio
Joaquin Phoenix - Scarlett Johansson (Her)
Jonathan Pryce - Banderas, Hopkins
Tom Hanks - Banderas, DiCaprio
Anthony Hopkins - Pryce, Pitt (Legends of the Fall, Meet Joe Black)
Al Pacino - Pesci
Joe Pesci - Pacino
Brad Pitt - Banderas, DiCaprio, Hopkins

Also, the five supporting actor nominees were all nominated in at least one year from 1990 through 1995, with four of them winning five of the awards they were nominated for.

1990 Pesci (won)
1991 Hopkins (won)
1992 Pacino (won)
1993 Hanks (won), Hopkins (nominated)
1994 Hanks (won)
1995 Hopkins, Pitt (nominated)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You can blame ABC for the truncated season. I guarantee they put pressure on the Academy to hold the Oscars during February sweeps rather than in March as it used to be. Then, with the winter Olympics every four years, they have to push the Oscars to the beginning of the month to stay in sweeps. Strangely enough, Disney isn't really benefiting from the truncation they themselves are forcing.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”