Categories One-by-One: Film Editing

For the films of 2019
rolotomasi99
Professor

Re: Categories One-by-One: Film Editing

Post by rolotomasi99 »

At this point I would not at all be surprised if PARASITE swept all its categories except Best Picture. I agree with anonymous1980 that this is different than the usual Editing winners which usually have some sort of action scene or musical sequence; however, in terms of the type of editing (smooth and steady) I think it is closer to THE SOCIAL NETWORK compared to the quick cutting that is often seen as good editing. If 1917 had not been a (fake) one-take film, it probably would have won this category; however, its absence leaves the path clear for PARASITE to win which I whole-heartedly agree with.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I'm on the Parasite train and have lost all reason. Parasite for editing!
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I think it will be Parasite only because Ford v Ferrari just looks like the kind of film that wins nothing. But you never know. Racing.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Categories One-by-One: Film Editing

Post by anonymous1980 »

The nominees:
Ford v. Ferrari
The Irishman
Jojo Rabbit
Joker
Parasite

For me, one of the more interesting categories this year.

I think we can safely eliminate Jojo Rabbit and Joker. The only way these two nominees can win is if their film becomes a huge sweeping favorite for Best Picture which is unlikely to happen. The Irishman is edited by 3-time Oscar winning legend Thelma Schoonmaker and I'm sure most voters are aware of that. People who loved The Irishman will give her a ton of credit of editing a 3.5 hour film and making it move and not feel too slow or dragging. While people who are less than enthused will blame her for not making it shorter. There's too much of the latter for her to eke out a victory this year.

That leaves us with Ford v. Ferrari and ACE winner Parasite. Ford v. Ferrari, on paper, is the obvious choice. It's a car racing movie and films with car races, crashes and chases do well here. It's also Best Picture nominee to boot. But a couple of things give me pause though. If it wins, it would be its only award (unless it can snatch a Sound award from 1917 which is unlikely) and that is rare in this day and age (only one film has ever done that in the past 20 years, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo). Plus there doesn't seem to be that much enthusiasm for it, getting only a paltry 4 nominations with 3 of them in the below-the-line categories.

Then we have Parasite which won the ACE Eddie award. You know, it's been a while since there was a winner like this. It's not an action flick or a film with obvious cutting. But it's an elegantly put-together film with comedy and thriller elements and much has been made about the montage in which they concoct a scheme to try and get the maid fired. It seems like a winner to me. But its one weakness is that it failed to get in at BAFTA and the only Editing winner to fail to get a BAFTA nomination in the past 20 years was, again, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

So, I'm leaning towards Ford v. Ferrari right now (unless it loses the BAFTA) but if Parasite is gonna win Best Picture, it will very likely take Editing along with it.

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”