ACE "Eddie" Winners

For the films of 2019
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Re: ACE "Eddie" Winners

Post by Sonic Youth »

Reza wrote:With this "Eddie" win wouldn't it make sense if Parasite would go on to win the following Oscars?

Best Picture
Best Director
Original Screenplay
Editing

I can easily live with it winning just 4 awards. No more, no less :D
Yeah, but if the real front runner for Best Picture is 1917, then Editing wouldn't apply as a criteria for victory anyway.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Senna, a documentary about to race car drivers, also won.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Mister Tee wrote: I agree that BAFTA will likely favor Ford v. Ferrari in the category (though it's called LeMans '66 there). Didn't BAFTA even go for some car-centered doc in the category a few years back?
Yes, as well as Rush, and also Mad Max: Fury Road and Baby Driver. They seem to like car races and chases at BAFTA lately.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

A couple of things:

Definitely huge for Parasite's chances of winning this category at the Oscars. Of the serious contenders, it's the closest to a fast-paced/thriller effort, so it makes sense as a front-runner.

However...has anyone noticed that the long-running connection between editing and best picture has been severed in the past decade? The last editing winner to take best picture was Argo, and before that The Hurt Locker. This is a huge departure from Oscar history, where editing usually went to the best picture winner about 50% of the time.

I agree that BAFTA will likely favor Ford v. Ferrari in the category (though it's called LeMans '66 there). Didn't BAFTA even go for some car-centered doc in the category a few years back?

I also agree that Parasite is probably favored at WGA, unless Baumbach has reservoirs of fans in the membership. The standard absence of Tarantino precluding a preview match-up means original screenplay will remain competitive right through the envelope-opening.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Let’s also not forget that Parasite is unchallenged by Tarantino at the WGA awards so unless they go with Baumbach (which I doubt) it’s going to win there too.

I agree with Daniel that Ford v Ferrari is likeliest to win Best Editing at BAFTA but that movie just looks like the kind of film that wins no Oscars. I think Parasite is the new favorite for this category.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It has International Film in the bag.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

With this "Eddie" win wouldn't it make sense if Parasite would go on to win the following Oscars?

Best Picture
Best Director
Original Screenplay
Editing

I can easily live with it winning just 4 awards. No more, no less :D
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Parasite isn't nominated for the BAFTA, so I suspect this race will remain somewhat in flux until Oscar night, unless all the guilds break in favor of one film as the unquestioned frontrunner. Very glad to see Parasite win here, and definitely think it can win the Oscar.

I'd bet money on Ford v. Ferrari wining BAFTA. Seriously, just take a look at how many movies involving car races and chases have won their editing prize over the past decade.
Last edited by dws1982 on Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

ACE "Eddie" Winners

Post by Sabin »

Drama: Parasite
Comedy: Jojo Rabbit
Animated: Toy Story 4
Doc: Apollo 11
"How's the despair?"

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”