92nd Oscar Nominations Announcement

For the films of 2019
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: 92nd Oscar Nominations Announcement

Post by Sabin »

I thought that Ford v Ferrari sounded good, but I don’t vote in these categories because I don’t know enough about the difference between the two.
I don't like this lady's taste but THANK YOU.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

What actually surprised me is that this actress actually saw most of the films. I've always imagined most of the members - especially the older lot - never bothering to watch all the nominated films and instead wing it when voting. Even this lady keeps saying something to the effect of.....he was good but has already won before so I'm voting for....

And she comes off rather absurd rabidly championing the home turf over foreigners.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Shirley Knight - Coppola's Rain People; daughter Kaitlin Hopkins is an off-Broadway actress, knows all about the type of apartment she could afford.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I didn't notice any reference to her being nominated or winning for that matter. To verify, I re-read it and then did a "find on page" search for "nominated" and found just one reference - her remark that foreign language films shouldn't be nominated for Best Picture.

But to expand the guessing, an Oscar nominated non-winner could be Terry Moore, Barbara Hershey, Sharon Stone or even Jennifer Jason Leigh, Baumbach's ex-wife, which could explain her animosity toward Marriage Story and Little Women. She didn't act until the 70s but she was a child of Hollywood in the 60s.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

There appears to be some resentment to English/Australian actresses being cast in Little Women. I really can't see Lee Grant taking that viewpoint - she's a very open minded liberal. Also sounds like someone who may think they should have had a much bigger career than they do so I'm leaning to Talia Shire. She was never able to carve much of a career beyond The Godfather & Rocky films.

I think that Coppola reference and 'Marty' reference is someone that knows them personally if even casually in the case of Scorsese and Talia Shire probably fits that bill. Also, the championing over Coppolla's The Godfather, which has a much bigger following amongst men than women I would think.

Also the article says Oscar nominated not winner and from some of the past articles I do recall them actually referring to people as 'Oscar winning actress' so that probably rules out Grant, Moreno, Dunnaway & Parsons.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Yeah. Also, Jane Fonda is not likely to rate a war movie too high.

Marsha Mason and Talia Shire didn't come along until the 70s.

I can see Lee Grant would voting for Honeyland.

Faye Dunaway, Estelle Parsons?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:Someone who was part of the Hollywood scene 50 years ago, but not now, would be in their 70s, 80s or beyond now.

Jane Fonda? Rita Moreno? Marsha Mason? Talia Shire? Lee Grant?
Jane Fonda or Lee Grant I think are unlikely. They'd pick the political leaning American Factory or The Edge of Democracy or even For Sama and The Cave for documentary over Honeyland I would think. Talia Shire does sound quite possible as the person makes reference to how Coppola did it right with casting younger actors in The Godfather Part II, though never mind that the technology to de age actors is relative recent. And still needs to be perfected in my view.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Someone who was part of the Hollywood scene 50 years ago, but not now, would be in their 70s, 80s or beyond now.

Jane Fonda? Rita Moreno? Marsha Mason? Talia Shire? Lee Grant?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Another (very) brutally honest Oscar voter.

An actress and by the sounds of definitely not English and maybe in her 50's, 60' s or older?

I do think whoever it is has never won an Oscar and may know Martin Scorsese?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists ... rt-1276313
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I like this one, too, and not just because I agree with most of his choices. It's someone who does his homework and says things that make sense.

It could be Edgar Wright. It's definitely a Brit. "On the night" which he says several times is an English expression. No one in America uses it.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Here's another brutally honest anonymous Academy member ballot.

I actually really like this one. He seems very thoughtful and dutifully actually watches the nominees and enjoys voting. I'm trying to figure out who it might be. It's a male member of the Director's branch. I *suspect* it might be Edgar Wright: He seems hip to current cinema and if you follow Edgar Wright on Twitter, you'll know he ENJOYS being an Academy member and really tries to watch all the nominees and votes dutifully.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Michael Musto is East Coast based. This is likely someone connected with the theatre, who knows Mel Brooks more from the Broadway musical version of The Producers than Blazing Saddles or the To Be or Not to Be remake.

Also, since this person's only knowledge of "modern war" comes from his or her viewing of The Hurt Locker and 1917 suggests that it could well be a woman. Maybe it's Anne Hathaway who recently disavowed her Catholicism which could explain the interviewee's surprise at liking The Two Popes.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
The U.S. military draft ended in 1973. Anyone 18 years of age or older up to that point would have clear knowledge of the horrors of war, either having served, found a way to avoid service or at the very least observed the nightly news reports coming out of Vietnam which would mean that he was almost certainly born no earlier than 1955 or more likely no earlier than the mid to late 60s to have had no exposure at all to what was going on in the world around him. That would make him no older than 55 which would put him in early his early to mid 30s when the Iraq war, which he also learned about from a movie, raged. That sounds about right.
Unless he's some Hollywood kid who great up terribly out of touch with the rest of the world. I mean, who knows? Also, let's take his point more closely:
I saw it more as a realization of how horrific WWI actually was. There have been so many films done on WWII and very few comparatively done on WWI, even though they say more people died in that war. To make 1917 as horrific as it was, with all the bodies that were treated like refuse, it was the first time it shone a light on how bad that war was. It made me understand even more about how horrific present war must be—actually even more than Hurt Locker.
He's speaking in generalized terms about the power of film, I think. Really the point to be taken away is that he's unaware of how horrific present war is meaning not Vietnam but the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

But again, that's just my takeaway.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Good points. I forgot about the Billy Crystal mention but that was late 90s-early 00s, not that long ago. Whoopi Goldberg was even later.

The U.S. military draft ended in 1973. Anyone 18 years of age or older up to that point would have clear knowledge of the horrors of war, either having served, found a way to avoid service or at the very least observed the nightly news reports coming out of Vietnam which would mean that he was almost certainly born no earlier than 1955 or more likely no earlier than the mid to late 60s to have had no exposure at all to what was going on in the world around him. That would make him no older than 55 which would put him in early his early to mid 30s when the Iraq war, which he also learned about from a movie, raged. That sounds about right.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
The voter appears to be someone who was an Academy member before the recent influx of diversity but who has never been in military service, so someone between the ages of 30 and 50, old enough to have seen all the films he or she wanted to. The rub is that he or she may not have wanted to see anything made before 1970 by which time black-and-white films had all but become extinct. Beyond that, not to be aware of the horrors of war except from what they've seen in a movie suggests that this person is deaf, dumb and blind to watching the news, reading a book or magazine or taking an interest in anything outside their own bubble. Maybe not the kind of person who voted for Trump but one with just as short an attention span as our fearless leader.
That's not the sense I got. Just because this voter didn't serve in the military doesn't mean that he wasn't of service age during Vietnam.

- This voter definitely hasn't had any military service but he strikes me as certainly older than 30 because he fondly remembers Billy Crystal and Whoopi Goldberg. The most recent either of them hosted was 2012. It's certainly possible that the person is 30 but I think a starting window of 40 is more likely.

- This voter seems off-put by the fact that The Irishman said "point blank what happened to Jimmy Hoffa." This means that Jimmy Hoffa has to mean something to this person, which would put his age window higher than 40. Maybe 40 at the youngest but 60 or 70 at the oldest.

- This voter is also aware of Judy Garland's legacy of not winning Oscars. I'm not sure this is common knowledge for people under the age of 40.

- This voter is a fan of The Two Popes, which he describes as "surprising."

- This person isn't Jewish, but "every friend of mine who’s Jewish has a problem with [Jojo Rabbit]. I can’t understand and I don’t even dare because I feel like I’d be insulting something. I’m sure they’re all huge fans of Mel Brooks and I don’t think anyone complained about that, but with Jojo Rabbit, something struck a chord of distaste with every Jewish friend. It’s not that they didn’t like the film, they just wish it hadn’t been made."
I mean, not to be rude but this sounds like an older person. Someone 30-40 wouldn't say of their Jewish friends "I'm sure they're all huge fans of Mel Brooks." We're talking about someone who is certainly over 50.

- I think this voter watches Fox news. He may not like it but he speaks with great clarity about their presentation, which tells me he watches morning news.

- This voter didn't know that Jennifer Lopez was actually pole-dancing in Hustlers.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”