92nd Oscar Nominations Announcement

For the films of 2019
ksrymy
Adjunct

Re: 92nd Oscar Nominations Announcement

Post by ksrymy »

I was really hoping for some love for The Farewell which was an outstanding feature. I knew the Academy would go with Cynthia Erivo or Awkwafina but certainly not both, and I figured Zhao Shuzhen could pull a Marina de Tavira and sneak in, though her nod was mostly coattails for Roma love. And I would've thought it could sneak into Screenplay too.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

danfrank wrote:
criddic3 wrote:
Sabin wrote:My biggest disappointment was seeing "Glasgow" miss out for Best Original Song.
Had to make room for Diane Warren. Who will lose to Elton John. Again.
Similarly, the music branch had to make room for John Williams for score. Sheesh. They did give a nomination for a more innovative score, that by Hildur Guðnadóttir for Joker. She becomes only the 5th woman nominated in the Original Score category.
As nice as it is to see a woman nominated here, her score is as overrated as the movie, totally lacking in subtlety and content to beat you over the head. The John Williams nomination feels like a space-waster; the real loser in this category was Daniel Lopatin for Uncut Gems, his second straight masterwork of a score for the Safdies.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Preemptive intervention: whenever we get around to discussing the (low) number of nominees who are persons of color, can we please NOT rehash yet another time whether people from Spain are POCs?
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

criddic3 wrote:
Sabin wrote:My biggest disappointment was seeing "Glasgow" miss out for Best Original Song.
Similarly, the music branch had to make room for John Williams for score. Sheesh. They did give a nomination for a more innovative score, that by Hildur Guðnadóttir for Joker. She becomes only the 5th woman nominated in the Original Score category.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:I am very happy for Parasite's nomination for Production Design. Here we have a Production Design that is pivotal to the film success as it is almost a character itself. Do we have some other recent examples of such contemporary Production Designs/Art Direction (as in Non-Period) works to be nominated?
La La Land... (feeling quite dumb right now). :D
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

I am very happy for Parasite's nomination for Production Design. Here we have a Production Design that is pivotal to the film success as it is almost a character itself. Do we have some other recent examples of such contemporary Production Designs/Art Direction (as in Non-Period) works to be nominated?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

This is unlikely to ever happen again, but for the first time in which there have been more than five Best Picture nominations, I agree with them all. What's more, I agree with all five Best Directing nominations and nineteen of the twenty acting nominations.

I never thought I would like a Todd Phillips film, much less consider him and his film among the best of the year, yet there it is. I finally saw Joker last week after avoiding it for months. For those still avoiding it, see it, you might find you like it as well. Concerns that copycat clowns might cause havoc in the streets have thankfully proven unfounded. It may be about a comic book character, but it's not a superhero movie, there are no heroes in it. The central character is a paranoid schizophrenic with mother and father issues. He's mad as hell and not taking it any more.

The one acting nomination I don't agree with is Antonio Banderas over Robert De Niro but that may change when I get to see Pain and Glory.

This may be the first time since 1963, the only year in which I agreed with all top category winners , that I agree again if they are 1917, Phoenix, Zellweger, Pitt, Dern and Mendes.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

I'll agree with the whole missing De Niro sentiment, but I enjoyed Leo's work and don't begrudge him this nomination.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

4th. I did enjoy the effort he put into it, but he was very miscast.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Reza wrote:
flipp525 wrote:Leonardo DiCaprio raking in another undeserved nomination. I would have much preferred with Paul Walter Hauser, Taron Egerton, or Robert De Niro.
I totally agree.
Make me the 3rd...really REALLY hard to stomach no DeNiro...as much as I mostly enjoyed this season and many of the nominees
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:Leonardo DiCaprio raking in another undeserved nomination. I would have much preferred with Paul Walter Hauser, Taron Egerton, or Robert De Niro.
I totally agree.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:
Except for the song, Rocketman was almost totally wiped out, not even showing for Costume Design. The chances for a second win for Elton seems to be diminished. Poor Taron...
I think the competition was too strong and his Globe win came too late to help. But I think the song is still a strong probability for the win.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Best Supporting Actor: four previous winners playing historical figures vs the heavily favored actor still waiting for his first Oscar for acting playing the only fictional character in the category.

Honeyland, is this the first time a Documentary is nominated for both International Film and Best Documentary?

I am a bit surprised about FvF getting in for Picture but without Bale nor its Cinematography getting in.

No Frozen 2 for Animated Feature is another minor surprise. It achieved what Tangled did.

Except for the song, Rocketman was almost totally wiped out, not even showing for Costume Design. The chances for a second win for Elton seems to be diminished. Poor Taron...
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I basically called the Kathy Bates nomination after I saw Richard Jewell last month. There was no way she was not getting nominated for that performance. She was fantastic. Sam Rockwell would have been worthy in Best Supporting Actor.

Leonardo DiCaprio raking in another undeserved nomination. I would have much preferred Paul Walter Hauser, Taron Egerton, or Robert De Niro.
Last edited by flipp525 on Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”