92nd Oscar Nominations Announcement

For the films of 2019
criddic3
Tenured

Re: 92nd Oscar Nominations Announcement

Post by criddic3 »

Joker was well-made, but to be the nominations leader is a bit shocking!
flipp525 wrote:I’m still shocked that OUATIH keeps getting screenplay nominations for Tarantino. There was absolutely no plot whatsoever. Parasite should absolutely win over that.
There is a plot. It's about a down-and-out actor and his stunt double buddy set against the backdrop of 1969 and an alternate history of the Manson murders. What exactly were you expecting from Tarantino?
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

When was the last time four films got ten nominations or more? Has that ever happened?

A few noteworthy surprises. I suppose Greta Gerwig not getting in could constitute a snub although she wasn't nominated pretty much anywhere for Best Director. Jennifer Lopez for Hustlers is the big one. I had a sense she was on shakier ground than some thought. Apollo 11 missing out for Documentary Feature would be next.

My biggest disappointment was seeing "Glasgow" miss out for Best Original Song.

My most pleasure surprise was either the strong showing for Parasite (especially Best Production Design) or Tarantino missing out on an Editing nomination.

That's the big story for me. As we know, only two films from 1981 to this day have won Best Picture without a Writing or Editing nomination: Birdman and Titanic. No writing nomination means the film isn't emotionally satisfying (see Gravity, The Revenant) and no editing nomination means the film is slow (Brokeback Mountain, Roma). What does the lack of an Editing nomination say about Quentin Tarantino's chances? It might be in for a bumpy ride.

This year, the movies with both nominations are The Irishman, Joker, Jojo Rabbit, and Parasite. 1917 should probably be exempted from disqualification because like Birdman it has the appearance of only being one shot.

Of those movies, only The Irishman and Parasite have nominations from the Producer's Guild, the Director's Guild, the Screen Actor's Guild, and the Baftas.
Last edited by Sabin on Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I’m still shocked that OUATIH keeps getting screenplay nominations for Tarantino. There was absolutely no plot whatsoever. Parasite should absolutely win over that.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

mlrg wrote:Once Upon a Time in Hollywood missing in editing is for me the biggest surprise.
even those who liked the movie thought that it was too long and self-indulgent, so I don't know how much of a surprise it is.
Jefforey Smith
Graduate

Post by Jefforey Smith »

mlrg wrote:Once Upon a Time in Hollywood missing in editing is for me the biggest surprise.
Its missing editing nomination diminishes its chances to win Best Picture rather considerably.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Antonio Banderas pulled through...I'm so pleased.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood missing in editing is for me the biggest surprise.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

And now they're carrying on about no Greta Gerwig in Directing and no Adam Sandler for Best Actor.

They're happy for Scarlett Johansson's two nominations, though.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Good Morning America group was in shock - "a sad day for New York". Gimme a break!
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Jefforey Smith wrote:No Jennifer Lopez! (Hip & cool announcers -- nice job!)
Biggest surprise so far
Jefforey Smith
Graduate

Post by Jefforey Smith »

No Jennifer Lopez! (Hip & cool announcers -- nice job!)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

John Cho could have been chosen because they are anticipating a slew of nods for Parasite. Cho was born in Seoul.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Big Magilla wrote:John Cho and Issa Rae will be the presenters.
Call me crazy but I think they should get some Oscar nominated or Oscar-winning actors to announce the nominations. Issa Rae is a very weird choice for announcer because she is primarily known for her TV work. Her film work is very scant with only The Hate U Give as the only notable film credit under her belt.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Cue the “Oh god, yet more racial inclusion” post from 1-3 people on this Board.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

John Cho and Issa Rae will be the presenters.

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”