92nd Oscar Nominations Announcement

For the films of 2019
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: 92nd Oscar Nominations Announcement

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:The folks at AwardsWorthy make a good case for the writer being Charles Randolph, co-writer of The Big Short and Bombshell. He has the same award profile Singer does, and his output better fits the "from social satires to searing dramas" description.
If so, it's should be disclosed that the writer is also the writer-producer of a film with two acting nominees both of whom he voted for.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The folks at AwardsWorthy make a good case for the writer being Charles Randolph, co-writer of The Big Short and Bombshell. He has the same award profile Singer does, and his output better fits the "from social satires to searing dramas" description.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Good to know she's an AMPAS member.

I didn't detect any similarities in style in the Criterion piece. It's a classy write-up with no snarky asides whatsoever.

https://www.criterion.com/current/top-1 ... s-s-top-10
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Anders is an Academy member, according to the site that tracks Academy membership. Anders did a top 10 list for Criterion, check her writing out there, I see some similarities to the writing style of the female director.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't see Allison Anders as being that smug. The woman has had a tough life. She wouldn't put people down the way this person does. She wouldn't refer to herself as "this chick". Is she even an AMPAS member?

Jenkins did generate headlines out of Sundance, that her mini-series flopped (deservedly!) is beside the point.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I think the female director could be Allison Anders. She first broke through with her early films at Sundance; now she's done more TV in recent years and got an Emmy nomination for a TV movie about five years ago. Jenkins is possible although the way it's worded--"generated major headlines out of Sundance"--doesn't really track with the general shrug that her TNT miniseries got when it premiered last year.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I think your right on both counts Magilla.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The writer has to be Josh Singer (The West Wing, Spotlight, The Post, First Man), OScar and BAFTA winner, Golden Globe nominee for Spotlight.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It has to be Patty Jenkins (Wonder Woman, Monster), an Emmy nominee in 2011 for The Killing.

She was at Sundance last year with the TV mini-series I Am the Night.

Then there was this on her Best Actress selection of Monster star Theron:

The Female Director: I know everyone is saying Renée and Saoirse Ronan are perfect, but I’m weirdly leaning toward Charlize Theron because, at the end of the movie, I forgot I was watching her! It’s insane to completely forget that she transformed herself.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=patty+jen ... US&plvar=0
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:Who is this woman?
I stumped on this. She has never been nominated for an Oscar (in any category) but has been nominated for an Emmy (I assume for direction). She's prolific in that she writes, produces, directs and acts and has had a film or films at Sundance. I can't think of any female directors that fit that bill and I've checked a number of reasonably well known ones over the last 30 years.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Who is this woman?

The Female Director: Bong Joon Ho. This is really hard because I want Martin Scorsese to have [another] Oscar with all of my heart. The Irishman, I was freaked out by the blue eyes. One of my friends said it was like The Polar Express…. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, even though I love watching Brad Pitt meander as much as anyone, I had a feeling that if I’d directed that movie, people would be like, “This chick had Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt and she turned in this?” It would’ve been over for me. It’s an exercise in privilege, like, he’s meandering around the things that fascinate him and shows it to you for two hours and it gets all the awards. If you look at the staging of [Parasite] it’s so well thought out and the shots are beautiful, they all say something. [On my nominations ballot] I had Greta…. I’m always supporting female directors, so my ballot was all women. It was Lulu Wang, Alma Har’el for Honey Boy. Basically, it was all women and Bong. If you’re a white dude, you weren’t on my ballot.

The Female Director: I’m going with Anthony Hopkins because The Irishman was just too bananas for me. Joe Pesci is perfectly Joe Pesci. My friends have been calling Al Pacino “Alice Pacino” because the more work these older men have to have, the more they look like women and it’s so distracting to watch. It’s like, Wanda Beatty and Alice Pacino. We have to give it to Anthony Hopkins for not doing any work on his face whatsoever. His performance is so grounded and unique. Beat to beat, I didn’t see a false moment and that’s hard to say [about others].
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I think the actor may be Brian Cox. His an 'international' star being British has an Indie Spirit nomination and a couple of SAG nominations. He also mentions 'Marmite' which is an English breakfast spread. He has also appeared in a few Oscar nominated films.

Deadwood is pretty beloved from what I can gather.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

That was a great read.

An actress with one prior nomination (I'm assuming lead but could be supporting) who is a good friend of Diane Ladd? Has also appeared in some Best Picture nominees?

Sally Kirkland, I'd say. She has appeared in films from across the spectrum including Best Picture nominees JFK & The Sting.

Whilst Anna for which Kirkland was nominated isn't an iconic film the nomination itself is. "The little hard working independent actress who could".

I bet she joined Shelley Winters on the campaign trail a few years later to help Diane Ladd get her best supporting Oscar nomination for Wild at Heart. I believe Shelley was really hitting the phones and its so easy to imagine Sally Kirkland would as well.

Also Sally Kirkland is exactly the type of actress who would LOVE to appear in a Tarantino film.
Last edited by Precious Doll on Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Entertainment Weekly's annual Brutally Honest Ballot panel.

They have descriptions of the Academy members they interviewed. It would be intriguing to figure out who they may be:

The Male Director: A British Academy of Film and Television Arts nominee whose work balances star-studded comedies on the big screen and pulse-pounding television dramas.

The Female Director: Her prolific career spans producing, acting, and writing for movies and television, but this Emmy-nominated filmmaker has generated major headlines out of Sundance for her work as a director.

The Actor: With nods from the Indie Spirits and Screen Actors Guild Awards under his belt, this international performer has amassed a robust credit sheet that includes appearances in Oscar-nominated movies and several beloved TV shows.

The Actress: A veteran actress with a memorable Academy Award nomination to her name, this iconic Oscar player has deep ties to the industry in addition to appearing in celebrated films, from Best Picture nominees to cult oddities.

The Producer: She’s helped bring iconic recording artists and A-list performers alike in front of movie cameras by producing Oscar-nominated films (and other commercial hits) for screens big and small over a career that has landed her two Emmy nominations.

The Writer: His whip-smart scripts have won him an Oscar, a BAFTA statuette, and a Golden Globe nomination over his 17-year career penning everything from social satires to searing dramas.

The Composer: You’ve heard his two-time Golden Globe-nominated music scoring emotional moments in Oscar-nominated movies for two decades.

The Publicist: An award-winning publicist who’s well-respected in the Oscar community for her key contributions to the gilded campaigns of multiple major Academy Awards players over the last 20 years.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote:
I thought that Ford v Ferrari sounded good, but I don’t vote in these categories because I don’t know enough about the difference between the two.
I don't like this lady's taste but THANK YOU.
This article describes the difference.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... r.amp.html

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”