WGA Nominees

For the films of 2019
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: WGA Nominees

Post by Mister Tee »

This is great for Parasite. A win by, say, Marriage Story would have confused the Oscar field, but now it's a clear face-off between Parasite and disqualified Quentin.

Jojo shocks/appalls me. I'd resigned myself to The Irishman being passed over, but I thought Scripter winner Little Women would win here. This guild didn't get sucked in by Green Book last year, but here, facing a far stronger field, they succumb.

BAFTA's choices tomorrow night may temper our reactions to these results.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The winners (presented earlier in the evening than usual, because nominees have to catch the red-eye to the BAFTAs):

Jojo Rabbit and Parasite.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Yep.
"How's the despair?"
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Miss BJ’s comments on these.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Sabin wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote
Anthony McCarten adapted the screenplay for THE TWO POPES from his own play. Has it been submitted to the Academy in the Original category? I would love to see it nominated in Adapted (particularly if it could push out JOKER).
The WGA submitted it as Original for some reason. It will be considered Adapted by the Academy.

Same thing as Moonlight.
Good to know. Thank you.
anonymous1980 wrote:I believe the reason they submitted it as "original" at the WGA was that the play was never produced. Same thing with Moonlight.
Which is odd because THE KING'S SPEECH was an unproduced play but it won the Oscar for Original Screenplay. :?
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I believe the reason they submitted it as "original" at the WGA was that the play was never produced. Same thing with Moonlight.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

rolotomasi99 wrote
Anthony McCarten adapted the screenplay for THE TWO POPES from his own play. Has it been submitted to the Academy in the Original category? I would love to see it nominated in Adapted (particularly if it could push out JOKER).
The WGA submitted it as Original for some reason. It will be considered Adapted by the Academy.

Same thing as Moonlight.
"How's the despair?"
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Sabin wrote:I didn't post any predictions but I privately thought it would be:
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Ford v. Ferrari
Knives Out
Marriage Story
Parasite
The Two Popes

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
The Irishman
Jojo Rabbit
Joker
Little Women

So... I guess the big snub of the day is Ford v Ferrari and The Two Popes? If they can be considered that.
Anthony McCarten adapted the screenplay for THE TWO POPES from his own play. Has it been submitted to the Academy in the Original category? I would love to see it nominated in Adapated (particularly if it could push out JOKER).

As always, Tarantino was ineligible for the WGA so we can pretty much guarantee he will be nominated in Original for the Oscar. I know many are saying he will probably win in this category but I think PARASITE could give him some real competition.

At this point LITTLE WOMEN looks like the strongest contender in Adapted, particularly since fans of Gerwig will want to make sure she is not shut out like with LADY BIRD. Plus, I get the feeling the Directing category will be all male so seeing a woman win in a major (non-gender specific) category would be nice.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

WGA Nominees

Post by Sabin »

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
1917, Written by Sam Mendes & Krysty Wilson-Cairns
Booksmart, Written by Emily Halpern & Sarah Haskins and Susanna Fogel and Katie Silberman
Knives Out, Written by Rian Johnson
Marriage Story, Written by Noah Baumbach
Parasite, Screenplay by Bong Joon Ho and Han Jin Won, Story by Bong Joon Ho

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Written by Micah Fitzerman-Blue & Noah Harpster, Inspired by the Article “Can You Say…Hero?” by Tom Junod
The Irishman, Screenplay by Steven Zaillian, Based upon the Book I Heard You Paint Houses by Charles Brandt
Jojo Rabbit, Screenplay by Taika Waititi, Based on the book Caging Skies by Christine Leunens
Joker, Written by Todd Phillips & Scott Silver, Based on Characters from DC Comics
Little Women, Screenplay by Greta Gerwig, Based on the Novel by Louisa May Alcott

DOCUMENTARY SCREENPLAY
Citizen K, Written by Alex Gibney; Greenwich Entertainment
Foster, Written by Mark Jonathan Harris; HBO Documentary Films
The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley, Written by Alex Gibney; HBO Documentary Films
Joseph Pulitzer: Voice of the People, Written by Robert Seidman & Oren Rudavsky; First Run Features
The Kingmaker, Written by Lauren Greenfield; Showtime Documentary Films

I didn't post any predictions but I privately thought it would be:
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Ford v. Ferrari
Knives Out
Marriage Story
Parasite
The Two Popes

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
The Irishman
Jojo Rabbit
Joker
Little Women

So... I guess the big snub of the day is Ford v Ferrari and The Two Popes? If they can be considered that.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”