Re: Golden Globe Winners

Post by Big Magilla »

Joaquin Phoenix's speech uncensored...

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/lis ... et_4759303
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

Mister Tee wrote:So, something I forgot to comment on: when Zoe Kravitz came out to present an award with Jason Momoa, shouldn't the announcer have mentioned that he's her step-father? Or did they think that would make him sound too old?
I don't know if it's a "should" thing, like a conflict of interest that has to be disclosed. But it is a fun fact.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

So, something I forgot to comment on: when Zoe Kravitz came out to present an award with Jason Momoa, shouldn't the announcer have mentioned that he's her step-father? Or did they think that would make him sound too old?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I thought it was one of the better awards presentations. Most of it moved along briskly with only a few of the presenters hogging the stage.

Worst acceptance speech: Joaquin Phoenix with Renée Zellweger not far behind.

Best acceptance speech: Stellan Skarsgard. I still crack up thinking of him thanking his makeup man for giving him eyebrows so he would be remembered for the role he played in Chernobyl.

2nd best: Jared Harris speaking for the Chernobyl producers with the enthusiasm he might have shown had he won the Best Actor award he lost to the absent Russell Crowe.
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

A relatively respectable lot. I've got to raise my standards next year. :)

1917 was the weird favorite though. A bit dated.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Netflix was all but shut out with only Laura Dern winning out of all those nominations. If Oscar voters follow suit in dissing Netflix for the most part, then yes, this could well be the harbinger of things to come, but Phoenix was not helped by that rambling, bleeped speech. Best Actor remains a question mark.
I did think, after I posted, that the one place the Broadcasters MIGHT dissent is by naming Adam Driver best actor. (It's almost forgotten, but they were the one spot that didn't pick Malek last year, going for Bale.) But I think SAG is going to be all in for Phoenix, so BAFTA would still have to step in to prevent a runaway.

I don't even question the talent of this set of winners -- they're good actors, and all except Zellweger can be seen as rating Oscars at this point in their careers. (Zellweger would be deserving enough for a first; I question a second.) It's the "let's set it in stone, pretend no one else is running" that drives me mad, and as made the Oscars so much less fun than they used to be.
I had forgotten how bad Zellweger was at making speeches. Hopefully, she'll get some coaching before she has to make another one. I don't think anyone can help Phoenix at this point, though.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:Just watched the speeches.
- Elton John and Bernie Taupin winning makes me realize that "Glasgow" doesn't have a chance. If Elton John and Bernie Taupin have never won an award together before tonight... it's over.
I had the same reaction.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

For me, Kate McKinnon gave the speech of the night.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Jefforey Smith
Graduate

Post by Jefforey Smith »

I've an indirect, tangential connection to JUDY. Once upon a time, I worked at a temp service. The lady at the temp service's daughter, Gina Tognoni, won Best Supporting Actress at the 2006 & 2008 Daytime Emmys. Tom Pelphrey won Best Younger Actor those exact same years -- Gina & Tom were featured in press photographs together -- & he went onto play Mickey Deans in END OF THE RAINBOW (upon which JUDY is based).

Pelphrey isn't in the movie, though it's interesting to see who is cast to portray Garland's last fiance.

(As I said, it's an indirect connection -- yet possibly the closest I'll get to the Big Time for a while.)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Just watched the speeches.

- Quentin Tarantino is awful. Awful, awful, awful.
- Having just seen Judy last night, I must say Renee Zellweger's charmless, rambling speech was the disappointment of the evening. Having seen Judy twenty-four hours ago, I've gone from being thrilled to see her comeback to dreading her speeches for another month.
- And then there's Joaquin Phoenix. Holy shit. What can you say? Well, you can't call it a disappointment bc what could one expect? And he wasn't as egomaniacal as Quentin Tarantino. QT was talking about how this is the one time he has to thank somebody besides himself while Joaquin Phoenix is calling out private jets and going vegan. The Academy hasn't had a choice like this in a long time... "Do we honor an actor who makes everybody insanely uncomfortable?"
- Awkwafina was funny. Taron Egerton was charming.
- Brad Pitt came off as the elder statesman of the evening.
- Just as Laura Dern was starting to come off as insufferable she landed a strong line about The Divorce Attorney: The Invisible Hero.
- Elton John and Bernie Taupin winning makes me realize that "Glasgow" doesn't have a chance. If Elton John and Bernie Taupin have never won an award together before tonight... it's over.
- Just seeing Bong Joon-ho on stage was enough.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:Netflix was all but shut out with only Laura Dern winning out of all those nominations. If Oscar voters follow suit in dissing Netflix for the most part, then yes, this could well be the harbinger of things to come, but Phoenix was not helped by that rambling, bleeped speech. Best Actor remains a question mark.
I did think, after I posted, that the one place the Broadcasters MIGHT dissent is by naming Adam Driver best actor. (It's almost forgotten, but they were the one spot that didn't pick Malek last year, going for Bale.) But I think SAG is going to be all in for Phoenix, so BAFTA would still have to step in to prevent a runaway.

I don't even question the talent of this set of winners -- they're good actors, and all except Zellweger can be seen as rating Oscars at this point in their careers. (Zellweger would be deserving enough for a first; I question a second.) It's the "let's set it in stone, pretend no one else is running" that drives me mad, and as made the Oscars so much less fun than they used to be.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Netflix was all but shut out with only Laura Dern winning out of all those nominations. If Oscar voters follow suit in dissing Netflix for the most part, then yes, this could well be the harbinger of things to come, but Phoenix was not helped by that rambling, bleeped speech. Best Actor remains a question mark.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

That sound you hear is the air leaking out of all the acting categories this year. I'll bet any amount of money the Broadcasters duplicate the drama slate in lead, and both supporting winners, and from there it'll likely become the fall-in-line thing we saw two years ago. If SAG were its old, mid-aughts populist self, there might be a shot for JLo to get back in the race, but the current attitude there seems to be to join the let's-predict-the-Oscars game (Laura Dern being a long-familiar veteran will be a factor, as well). By the time we get to BAFTA, it'll be all but over; they probably won't even bother throwing curves into the race.

Best picture/director will probably stay alive -- 1917 adds itself to what was already a three-way race. But best picture, especially, is unpredictable every year, since the introduction of the preferential ballot. It's the acting races that bring added life to the Oscars, and I don't think we're going to see any this year.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Not having seen 1917 the Mendes win surprised me. If anything I thought there might be a split between the film for Best Picture - Drama and Best Director going to either Scorsese or Bong.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

OscarGuy wrote:Missing Link was the ONLY surprise for me tonight. I'm just surprised people thought Mendes was a surprise.
Not only did I not predict Mendes, I think I had him fourth or fifth.

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”