Phedon Papamichael, Ford v. Ferrari
Rodrigo Prieto, The Irishman
Robert Richardson, Once Upon a Time in...Hollywood
Lawrence Sher, Joker
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

American Society of Cinematographers Predictions

Post by Sabin »

The critics have singled out Claire Mathon for Portrait of a Lady on Fire (as well as Atlantics) as the cinematographer of the year. Last year saw Łukasz Żal (Cold War) justly triumph over Alfonso Cuaron (Roma), neither of whom I thought were in the ASC in the first place, so it's conceivable that she might pick up a nomination despite not being ASC. I'm just not sure how widely seen Portrait of a Lady on Fire is outside critics circles.

Roger Deakins (1917) and Robert Richardson (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood) are probably sure things. Rodrigo Prieto is on shakier ground considering The Irishman is one of Scorsese's more visually restrained film but he's probably a good bet as well. Lawrence Sher may have had his breakthrough this year but he has been bouncing around for fifteen years (his breakthrough film was Garden State).

Will the fifth nominee be Mathon? Terrence Malick films are usually a good bet but it seems as though A Hidden Life hasn't really landed this year. Likewise, I think Jarin Blaschke for The Lighthouse might be too arthouse.

Outside the arthouse is Phedon Papamichael for Ford v Ferrari (prev ASC nominee for Nebraska) and Hoyte van Hoytema for Ad Astra (prev ASC for Dunkirk). And somewhere in between is Yorick Le Saux for Little Women.

I really have no idea, so my gut says Parasite is popping up everywhere else, why not here?

PREDICTIONS
Roger Deakins, 1917
Hong Kyung-pyo, Parasite
Lawrence Sher, Joker
Rodrigo Prieto, The Irishman
Robert Richardson, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
"How's the despair?"

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”