Music (Original Song) Shortlist

For the films of 2019
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: Music (Original Song) Shortlist

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:
danfrank wrote:
Sabin wrote: Wow, Mary Steenburgen co-wrote the song. If she wins it will be 39 years since she last won an Oscar - would that be a record?
I don't know what the record is, but I know that it was exactly 39 years between the two Oscars for Helen Hayes.
Helen Hayes holds the record for years between acting awards, I don't know who holds the record for years between winning in one category and winning in another.

It was 39 years from date of receipt of the award (late 1932-ealy 1971), but 38 years from year of work awarded from 1931/32 to 1970. Steenbergen's two wins (if that should happen) will be a year longer between year of work awarded (1980-2019) but Hayes will still hold the record between acting wins.
Even more remarkable, Steenburgen would share the won-for-acting/won-for-songwriting distinction with Barbra Steisand. A field of two you'd never have bet on.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

danfrank wrote:
Sabin wrote: Wow, Mary Steenburgen co-wrote the song. If she wins it will be 39 years since she last won an Oscar - would that be a record?
I don't know what the record is, but I know that it was exactly 39 years between the two Oscars for Helen Hayes.
Helen Hayes holds the record for years between acting awards, I don't know who holds the record for years between winning in one category and winning in another.

It was 39 years from date of receipt of the award (late 1932-ealy 1971), but 38 years from year of work awarded from 1931/32 to 1970. Steenbergen's two wins (if that should happen) will be a year longer between year of work awarded (1980-2019) but Hayes will still hold the record between acting wins.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

For anyone in the United States with access to Hulu, Wild Rose just showed up on Hulu within the past day or so. (NEON releases end up on Hulu a few months after their theatrical runs in the same way that A24 films end up on Prime.) I watched it last night. Not a bad movie, although it does follow a fairly conventional indie path. Jessie Buckley is excellent--it's easy to imagine that in a different year, with slight adjustments, she could've been in the Best Actress conversation. And I think she probably will be for something in the not too distant future. If it gets nominated and voters watch the film, I think the song will benefit from its use and placement in the film: It's not a closing credits song; it's a song the lead character performs at the end, and it serves as a final statement on the character's journey through the film.

Tee's point about this category favoring widely-seen films is definitely well-taken, but I do think that Mary Steenburgen's name in the credits (which no, won't appear on an Oscar ballot, but a lot of voters will know about) will mitigate that somewhat, as will the fact that films are consumed somewhat differently now, and this being available for easy streaming will help. It's not going to be an easy win, and NEON is most certainly going to have to take the initiative to get it, but I do think there's an opening.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Sabin wrote: Oh, I agree. I think it really might as well for all the reasons you cite, as well as because Mary Steenburgen co-wrote it, she has a schmoozing advantage. I know this sounds arrogant but really all people need to do is hear it. It has a built-in underdog factor and NEON is turning into quite the campaigner.
Wow, Mary Steenburgen co-wrote the song. If she wins it will be 39 years since she last won an Oscar - would that be a record?

I do hope people to seek out Wild Rose. Though it follows a somewhat cliched and well worn path it is nevertheless an entertaining feel-good film and Jessie Buckley, supported by a very good Julie Walters, is outstanding.

Buckley keep surprising me. I first noticed her in the little seen Beast (2017) which probably remains her best performance to date. I didn't even realise this was the same actress in Wild Rose until after the film when I looked up the leading lady. Also did realise it was her in Judy (2019) and Chernobyl (2019). She is something of a chameleon and acting wise is no doubt the real deal.

As Jessie Buckley sang the song in the film, if it's nominated hopefully she will sing it at the Oscar ceremony. That will be reason enough (along with Parasite's International Film win) for me to watch the show.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
The only exception I can find in the last 40 years (as far as I went back) is Once, which was never really a box-office thing or main category contender -- but it did have a great deal of critical support, including from Ebert & Roeper (I believe Roeper, ludicrously, named it his best film of the decade). And even it did way financially better than Wild Rose, which, honestly, I'd never heard of -- and apparently this doesn't make me unusual: Wild Rose's WORLDWIDE gross is just over $7 million. (Even Once, in a decade earlier's dollars, cracked $20 million WW).
Once was one of those "You had to be there" kinda things. I think Spielberg said it restored his faith in movies. I never thought I'd be nostalgic for 2007 and movies like Once cracking $20 mil (if not Once specifically). It also helps that "Falling Slowly" was up against a terrible Best Original Song lineup and was immeasurably helped by Into the Wild failing to show up.

"Glasgow" is likely to be up against the completely opposite kind of lineup: Beyonce Knowles, Elton John, Idina Menzel, and the lead actress from Harriet singing a song about her, which is to say nothing about the other contenders.

But working in Glagow's favor... it's really quite better than all those songs.

And also, the other songs are in direct competition with themselves. The songs from The Lion King, Aladdin, Frozen 2, and Toy Story 4 are up against better songs from their previous iterations. Same thing with "I'm Gonna Love Me Again." It's *just* an Elton John song.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

A few weeks ago, having heard people bandy around the "Glasgow" title, I found it on YouTube. And I agree, it's a lovely piece of work.

But, man, after the "Till It Happens to You" experience a few years back, I vowed never again to put my money on a song from an obscure movie. Look as far back through the winners list as you care to; they're all either from best picture-contending movies (Star is Born, La La Land, Selma), high-grossers like Coco, Skyfall, Frozen or Spectre (that last the one that blindsided us vis a vis Lady Gaga), or films people had other reason to track down (the documentary race for Melissa Etheridge's song, the best actor nods for Crazy Heart or Hustle and Flow, even the screenplay nominations for The Motorcycle Diaries and Wonder Boys).

The only exception I can find in the last 40 years (as far as I went back) is Once, which was never really a box-office thing or main category contender -- but it did have a great deal of critical support, including from Ebert & Roeper (I believe Roeper, ludicrously, named it his best film of the decade). And even it did way financially better than Wild Rose, which, honestly, I'd never heard of -- and apparently this doesn't make me unusual: Wild Rose's WORLDWIDE gross is just over $7 million. (Even Once, in a decade earlier's dollars, cracked $20 million WW).

Now, trends are made to be shattered, and, as I say, I like the song quite a bit. But it's going to be contending against songs from super-grossers like Frozen 2 and Toy Story 4, as well as borderline top category contenders like Rocketman and Harriet. I wouldn't get your hopes up too high.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Just noticed this, but no Cats.

ETA: Looked at NEON's FYC site, and they don't even have Wild Rose listed. I would really get that changed if I were them. I think they really have an opportunity here.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

dws1982 wrote
Call me crazy, but I think "Glasgow" could actually win this. There's not a clear frontrunner like there often is, and in years without a clear frontrunner, this category often throws out a surprise winner, often from a musical-themed film, which Wild Rose is. If I were a part of NEON's Oscar campaigns, I would definitely be trying to push this one pretty hard. I think it helps that it's a damn good song, and it stands out from so many of the others here.
Oh, I agree. I think it really might as well for all the reasons you cite, as well as because Mary Steenburgen co-wrote it, she has a schmoozing advantage. I know this sounds arrogant but really all people need to do is hear it. It has a built-in underdog factor and NEON is turning into quite the campaigner.

I think this is the secret key to winning Oscar pools.
Precious Doll wrote
“A Glass of Soju” from “Parasite”
Goddamn, is there anywhere that Parasite ISN'T showing up?
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Call me crazy, but I think "Glasgow" could actually win this. There's not a clear frontrunner like there often is, and in years without a clear frontrunner, this category often throws out a surprise winner, often from a musical-themed film, which Wild Rose is. If I were a part of NEON's Oscar campaigns, I would definitely be trying to push this one pretty hard. I think it helps that it's a damn good song, and it stands out from so many of the others here.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Music (Original Song) Shortlist

Post by Precious Doll »

“Speechless” from “Aladdin”
“Letter To My Godfather” from “The Black Godfather”
“I’m Standing With You” from “Breakthrough”
“Da Bronx” from “The Bronx USA”
“Into The Unknown” from “Frozen II”
“Stand Up” from “Harriet”
“Catchy Song” from “The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part”
“Never Too Late” from “The Lion King”
“Spirit” from “The Lion King”
“Daily Battles” from “Motherless Brooklyn”
“A Glass of Soju” from “Parasite”
“(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again” from “Rocketman”
“High Above The Water” from “Toni Morrison: The Pieces I Am”
“I Can’t Let You Throw Yourself Away” from “Toy Story 4”
“Glasgow” from “Wild Rose”
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”