Music (Original Score) Shortlist

For the films of 2019
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Music (Original Score) Shortlist

Post by Sabin »

Just saw The Farewell and plan on writing something about it but it is entirely possible it captures the fifth spot. The music does a huge amount of heavy lifting.
"How's the despair?"
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Sabin wrote:
Michael Giacchino (Jojo Rabbit) and Marco Beltrami & Buck Sanders (Ford V Ferrari) seem like the likeliest replacements but I don't think Michael Abels should be counted out for Us, especially considering how music-forward the film is.
I am hoping Alberto Iglesias can capture that fifth slot as PAIN & GLORY has my favorite score of the year.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
Has there ever been a year where the probable Academy field for this category has been so obvious? Pretty much everyone has Joker, Little Women, 1917 and Marriage Story as the top contenders. I realize one or more could still be eliminated, but, normally, something's already been unexpectedly ruled out, and the primary contenders are much murkier. This year is more predictable, in a positive way.
I've glanced at a few other Oscar boards for comparison and throw in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker that is the list that EVERYONE is predicting. But after listening to this compilation, I have such a hard time imagining that it's going to be as cut and dry as we think.

Alexandre Desplat (Little Women) and Thomas Newman (1917) are probably the safest bets. Considering that John Williams has announced his retirement from the Star Wars franchise, I have to imagine that The Rise of Skywalker is probably safe money as well. The only thing working against Hildur Gudnadottir is how new she is to the scene but it seems as though that is no longer a caveat so her instantly beloved score for Joker is probably the favorite to win.

I'm a bit more skeptical of Randy Newman's score for Marriage Story. It's very pretty. But it seems desperately reaching for sentiment in a way that's always struck me as a bit at odds with the rest of the film. Newman hasn't had an Oscar-nominated score since Monsters, Inc. and this is certainly his best opportunity. I seem to be cheese stands alone on this one but I'm a bit lower on his chances in such a field.

Michael Giacchino (Jojo Rabbit) and Marco Beltrami & Buck Sanders (Ford V Ferrari) seem like the likeliest replacements but I don't think Michael Abels should be counted out for Us, especially considering how music-forward the film is.
"How's the despair?"
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Parasite appears to be the most glaring omission.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Okri wrote:Isn't the rule that John Williams gets nominated for the retread and then we see? I'm already prepared to be annoyed about it.
I guess until it DOESN'T happen some year, we do have to assume this. It'll be infuriating, to have him waste a spot that could go to Iglesias, or (not that I've see the film), the Motherless Brooklyn score.

It'd almost be better if they were to give him the win, some year. Then at least there'd be some reason for this.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Here is a nice compilation of almost all the shortlist scores:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdtLu4ByoKA
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Isn't the rule that John Williams gets nominated for the retread and then we see? I'm already prepared to be annoyed about it.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Has there ever been a year where the probable Academy field for this category has been so obvious? Pretty much everyone has Joker, Little Women, 1917 and Marriage Story as the top contenders. I realize one or more could still be eliminated, but, normally, something's already been unexpectedly ruled out, and the primary contenders are much murkier. This year is more predictable, in a positive way.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Music (Original Score) Shortlist

Post by Precious Doll »

“Avengers: Endgame”
“Bombshell”
“The Farewell”
“Ford v Ferrari”
“Frozen II”
“Jojo Rabbit”
“Joker”
“The King”
“Little Women”
“Marriage Story”
“Motherless Brooklyn”
“1917”
“Pain and Glory”
“Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”
“Us”
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”