Makeup and Hairstyling shortlist

For the films of 2019
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: Makeup and Hairstyling shortlist

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:
Mister Tee wrote: As long as they don't nominate Maleficent: Mistress of Evil...oh, there I've gone and jinxed it.
Mister Tee, you aren't the only one dreading an obligation to watch that. :(
There is a certain camp appeal watching the bitchfest between Jolie and Pfeiffer although the film is strictly routine.
Still doesn't interest me - I have my old favourites down through the years to watch on DVD if I want A-grade camp.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll wrote:
Mister Tee wrote: As long as they don't nominate Maleficent: Mistress of Evil...oh, there I've gone and jinxed it.
There is a certain camp appeal watching the bitchfest between Jolie and Pfeiffer although the film is strictly routine.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:One nerdy thing catches my eye: apparently, in the Academy style-sheet, 1917 is alphabetized as beginning with an "N" -- while many other places have classed it as a number, and have had it lead off lists. This is something to file away for nominations day, when some Mendes supporters expecting the latter usage might panic when the best director roster (which is generally read by film title) begins with The Irishman/Scorsese.
Now to get real "nerdy":

1917 is properly alphabetized as beginning with "N" - the only reason numbers are ever placed at the beginning of an alphabetized list should be because the preparer used a computer spreadsheet such as Excel to do the alphabetizing and didn't take the time to move the title to its proper position before it was published.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Well, say one thing: the branch isn't going with as many obscurities or movies-you'd-hate-to-sit-through as they usually do. Five of these I've seen already, and three more (Bombshell, Little Women, 1917) were on the must-catch list. As long as they don't nominate Maleficent: Mistress of Evil...oh, there I've gone and jinxed it.

One nerdy thing catches my eye: apparently, in the Academy style-sheet, 1917 is alphabetized as beginning with an "N" -- while many other places have classed it as a number, and have had it lead off lists. This is something to file away for nominations day, when some Mendes supporters expecting the latter usage might panic when the best director roster (which is generally read by film title) begins with The Irishman/Scorsese.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Makeup and Hairstyling shortlist

Post by Precious Doll »

“Bombshell”
“Dolemite Is My Name”
“Downton Abbey”
“Joker”
“Judy”
“Little Women”
“Maleficent: Mistress of Evil”
“1917”
“Once upon a Time…in Hollywood”
“Rocketman”

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”