The Golden Globe Award Nominees

For the films of 2019
rolotomasi99
Professor

Re: The Golden Globe Award Nominees

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Precious Doll wrote:
Eenusch wrote:I'm just starting to pay attention to the Oscar race now so forgive me if this has been discussed already but how the hell does Tom Hanks get a Supporting Actor nomination in a film that's entirely about his character "Mr. Rogers" ?
I haven't seen the film but apparently the character that Hanks plays is supporting and the main focus is in the journalist reporting on him is the lead. I can't help but think that the film took this approach because outside of North America nobody knows or cares about Mr. Rogers.

Saw a trailer for the film yesterday at the cinema and it looks awful - am only going to see it because I've liked Marielle Heller's first two films.
I went in expecting something cloyingly sweet and silly like SAVING MR. BANKS and was pleasantly surprised by how (relatively) dark it got. I particularly enjoyed the little surreal touches Heller sprinkled throughout the film.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
It's good that AMPAS opened up their membership to a more diverse group, but that would have happened without Jada Pinkett-Smith and her fury over her husband Will not getting a nomination in a crowded field which created the OscarsSoWhite movement.[/b]
I think one thing directly led to another. OscarSoWhite happened. It's a good thing. It's invited in a more diverse group of Academy voters and diversity among Finding Neverland-voting Academy voters is a VERY good thing.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It's good that AMPAS opened up their membership to a more diverse group, but that would have happened without Jada Pinkett-Smith and her fury over her husband Will not getting a nomination in a crowded field which created the OscarsSoWhite movement. More important than awards are the jobs that lead to those awards. Those jobs are thankfully there now.

Awards should be based on the merits. If AMPAS, the HFPA, or any other organization habitually excludes high performing women or persons of color from their nominations, that should be cause for concern, If not alarm, but if that happens in one year in one category that may be worthy of what's up? query but not a social media shitstorm.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
It's the same damn thing, something that deserves notice but not outrage.
So, you object to the OscarSoWhite movement and you think it's only had a negative effect on the Academy Awards? I think the outrage created a movement that created better system. Do you think things were better with the previous Academy membership?
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:
Sabin wrote:
Big Magilla wrote
There are so many things going on in the world pertaining to the treatment of women that people should be upset about. The failure of a woman to be nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Director by the 80 somethings that make up the brunt of the HFPA membership isn't one of them.
I’ll be honest. The only thing I find more disheartening than people on Twitter pulling outrage from nothing is telling them to weigh professional injustices against worldwide atrocities against their sex. The only reason I’m singling you out is because your argument diminishes the point. Would you say the same thing if Twitter was exploding about the lack of people of color nominated?

I’m not just saying this because I have no doubt in my mind that Greta Gerwig directed a better film this year than Todd Phillips, Sam Mendes, and Quentin Tarantino, and throw in James Mangold, Taika Watiki, and her own husband to boot.
*Gasp*

:lol:
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:
Big Magilla wrote
There are so many things going on in the world pertaining to the treatment of women that people should be upset about. The failure of a woman to be nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Director by the 80 somethings that make up the brunt of the HFPA membership isn't one of them.
I’ll be honest. The only thing I find more disheartening than people on Twitter pulling outrage from nothing is telling them to weigh professional injustices against worldwide atrocities against their sex. The only reason I’m singling you out is because your argument diminishes the point. Would you say the same thing if Twitter was exploding about the lack of people of color nominated?

I’m not just saying this because I have no doubt in my mind that Greta Gerwig directed a better film this year than Todd Phillips, Sam Mendes, and Quentin Tarantino, and throw in James Mangold, Taika Watiki, and her own husband to boot.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote

"How's the despair?"
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:And why did they overlook Kaitlyn Dever? Whilst I'm on the fence about Booksmart both women were equally good in it so its odd to see one make the cut and the other missing out, particular when Cate Blanchett is nominated for a poorly received box office bomb.
Booksmart is easily one of the worst movies of the year. Shocked at the universally rave reviews it got.
For me it is The Farewell. Certainly not the worst film of the year but easily the most overrated followed closely by The Souvenir.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:There are so many things going on in the world pertaining to the treatment of women that people should be upset about. The failure of a woman to be nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Director by the 80 somethings that make up the brunt of the HFPA membership isn't one of them.
:lol:
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll wrote:And why did they overlook Kaitlyn Dever? Whilst I'm on the fence about Booksmart both women were equally good in it so its odd to see one make the cut and the other missing out, particular when Cate Blanchett is nominated for a poorly received box office bomb.
Booksmart is easily one of the worst movies of the year. Shocked at the universally rave reviews it got.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

dws1982 wrote: Again, not sure that I have much point here. But I will say that when half of Film Twitter is upset that Lorene Scafaria or Lulu Wang didn't get a nomination that everyone who was paying attention knew they didn't have a shot at, I start to suspect that maybe they really aren't all that interested in nominating the best directors of the year anyway.
Among all the female directors, the only one who actually had a legit shot was Greta Gerwig.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

How did Constance Wu who who starred in a well received hit film get overlooked whilst Emma Thompson gets in for a film that was received with a mixed reception and underperformed?

As I understand it both of them are insufferable people so it can't be that.

And why did they overlook Kaitlyn Dever? Whilst I'm on the fence about Booksmart both women were equally good in it so its odd to see one make the cut and the other missing out, particular when Cate Blanchett is nominated for a poorly received box office bomb.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Eenusch wrote:I'm just starting to pay attention to the Oscar race now so forgive me if this has been discussed already but how the hell does Tom Hanks get a Supporting Actor nomination in a film that's entirely about his character "Mr. Rogers" ?
I haven't seen the film but apparently the character that Hanks plays is supporting and the main focus is in the journalist reporting on him is the lead. I can't help but think that the film took this approach because outside of North America nobody knows or cares about Mr. Rogers.

Saw a trailer for the film yesterday at the cinema and it looks awful - am only going to see it because I've liked Marielle Heller's first two films.
Eenusch
Graduate

Post by Eenusch »

I'm just starting to pay attention to the Oscar race now so forgive me if this has been discussed already but how the hell does Tom Hanks get a Supporting Actor nomination in a film that's entirely about his character "Mr. Rogers" ?

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”