Trivia

For the films of 2018
inky
Temp

Re: Trivia

Post by inky »

First time ever that 3 out of the 4 acting winners are of African origin (Rami Malek is of Egyptian origin though he is not black)?

The Guardian has also hailed Rami Malek as the first Best Actor winner of Arab heritage.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Three of four acting winners played gay characters. I'm pretty sure that's never happened before.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

None of the acting winners has ever lost an acting nomination. Three won their first Oscars on their first nomination, and, the fourth won his second Oscar on his second nomination.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Olivia Colman is the third actor who had Meryl Streep as an onscreen mother to go on and win an Oscar, following Rene Zellweger and Leonardo Dicaprio. I wonder if that's kind of a record? Katharine Hepburn played the mother of Jason Robards, Anthony Hopkins and Jane Fonda, but only the first two won after they had worked with her. Anyone else?
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

anonymous1980 wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:
Warren Beatty, Annette Benning, Marsha Mason, Jane Alexander, Ed Harris, Willem Dafoe are all at four acting nominations - no wins (I know I'm missing another person or two).
Bradley Cooper has four acting nominations with no wins as well.
Also Michelle Williams with four acting nominations but no wins.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

17 days - that's what makes this year only the fourth time since the establishment of the supporting categories that both winning actresses are older that both winning actors - Ali is 17 days younger than Colman. It happened before in 1955 (Mangani and Van Fleet vs. Borgnine and Lemmon), 1978 (Smith and Fonda, Voight and Walken) and 1989 (Tandy and Fricker, Day Lewis and Washington). The latter featured the biggest gap.

Had Hepburn been the sole winner of 1968 - as she probably should - that year would have qualified too - Hepburn was slightly older than Albertson. Still - we did have two winning actresses who were older than two winning actors that year too.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Precious Doll wrote:
Warren Beatty, Annette Benning, Marsha Mason, Jane Alexander, Ed Harris, Willem Dafoe are all at four acting nominations - no wins (I know I'm missing another person or two).
Bradley Cooper has four acting nominations with no wins as well.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Another not a record but an interesting current fact(s):

Glenn Close cements her record as the living actor with the most nominations not to win an acting Oscar with seven nominations now.

She is followed by Amy Adams with six nominations - no wins.

Amy Adams was tied with Albert Finney for five nominations prior to his passing. Can't think of anyone currently sitting on five nominations - no wins.

Last edited by Precious Doll on Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Not a record but an interesting fact:

Cuarón joins Ang Lee, George Stevens and Frank Borzage, in the group of directors with two Best Director victories without winning Best Picture.

The odd thing is that the 2nd award for Cuarón, Lee and Borzage came in years where the Best Picture winner didn’t have a Best Director nominee... they didn’t compete with the director of the Best Picture winner.

To add something peculiar to this fact, when Driving Miss Daisy won Best Picture without a directing nod, we got the second win for Stone. So, every time a film wins BP without having being able to get a Best Director nomination, we get a previous winner to take the Best Director award.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Mahershala Ali is the first actor in 26 years, and the fifth over all, to win twice for performances featured in best picture winners. He joins Marlon Brando, Dustin Hoffman, Jack Nicholson and Gene Hackman in this very respectable club. He is the first "person of color", i.e. black, actor to do so. Obviously, no actress has ever managed to achieve this.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

5 of the last 6 Director winners are from Mexico. Only one of the last 9 Director winners is American.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Precious Doll wrote:First time since the Best Picture category was expanded, every film nominated for Best Picture won at least one Oscar.
Second time. First was 2015 when Birdman won Best Picture. It won 4. Grand Budapest won 4. Whiplash won 3. Boyhood, The Theory of Everything, Selma and American Sniper each managed to win one.

Other milestones:

Hannah Beachler (production design), Ruth E. Carter (costume design) and Peter Ramsey (animated feature) are the first African-American winners in their respective categories.

Domee Shi is the first woman of color to win Animated Short.

I believe this is also the first time someone won Best Director AND Best Foreign Language Film for the same film.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

First time since the Best Picture category was expanded, every film nominated for Best Picture won at least one Oscar.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Trivia

Post by Precious Doll »

Mexico wins its first Foreign Language Film Oscar

Both actor winners portrayed real-life people in music 'industry' who are deceased and were both gay.

Return to “91st Academy Awards”