American Cinema Editors Winners

For the films of 2018
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Re: American Cinema Editors Winners

Post by FilmFan720 »

Mister Tee wrote:I'm just relieved Green Book didn't win. Someone pointed out that its award season profile (comedy Globe/PGA award/no directing nomination from AMPAS) is precisely the route a certain Miss Daisy took to best picture. So, any sign of weakness is welcome.

I guess Bohemian Rhapsody becomes the favorite for this category, but it doesn't really strike me as having the characteristics of recent winners. More on that in a one-by-one thread.
And Best Director that year went to someone who had won only a few years earlier!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
I guess Bohemian Rhapsody becomes the favorite for this category, but it doesn't really strike me as having the characteristics of recent winners. More on that in a one-by-one thread.
To be fair, none of them do.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I'm just relieved Green Book didn't win. Someone pointed out that its award season profile (comedy Globe/PGA award/no directing nomination from AMPAS) is precisely the route a certain Miss Daisy took to best picture. So, any sign of weakness is welcome.

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I think Bohemian Rhapsody has it then. I assumed the more discerning Eddies would pass over the cartoon choppy Rhapsody. If they didn’t, it’s probably got it.

Glad that The Favourite deservingly won this. There is a very strongly crosscut sequence in the first half hour that greatly impressed me. Green Book’s editing is far from its greatest sin and it’s a rather well-paced film.
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

And Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse wins Animated.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Bohemian Rhapsody wins Drama, and The Favourite takes comedy.

The latter a surprise, to say the least. Felt like it might run third, behind Vice/Green Book.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM - DOCUMENTARY
Free Solo
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

American Cinema Editors Winners

Post by Sabin »

PREDICTIONS

The Oscar for Best Film Editing is a little murkier than usual this year. The "Eddies" predicted The Social Network, Argo, Mad Max, and Dunkirk, but not The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Gravity, Whiplash, or Hacksaw Ridge. A clip of how sloppily edited Bohemian Rhapsody was cut is going viral these days so even though I think it's going to end up winning Best Film Editing, I think the more discerning Eddies might pass on it.

BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM - DRAMATIC
BlacKkKlansman (maybe Roma)

BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM - COMEDY OR MUSICAL
Green Book

BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM - ANIMATION
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM - DOCUMENTARY
Won't You Be My Neighbor?
"How's the despair?"

Return to “91st Academy Awards”