Re: Your best picture ballot

Post by Big Magilla »

My ballot would be:

1. Green Book
2. BlackKklansman
3. The Favourite
4. Roma

AND THAT'S ALL

If First Man had been nominated it would have been no. 1 on my ballot with BlackKklansman no. 2 and Green Book no. 3, but with First Man missing, I bumped Green Book to no. 1 over BlackKlansman as a protest vote because it doesn't deserve the constant vitriol it has been getting here and elsewhere. Thinking about it, though, if this were an actual ballot and Roma is the film most likely to be no. 1 on most ballots but not enough to get 50% plus 1 of the votes, then my vote for Green Book could go onto the pile from which my second choice of BlackKlansman would be counted instead. If enough non-Roma votes to a second choice position then BlackKklansman may very well be in position to win.

My other top ballot choices would be Spike Lee, Willem Dafoe, Glenn Close, Mahershala Ali and Regina King, the latter in the absence of Claire Foy and Nicole Kidman.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Theoretically, my blank space could come right up top; I'd vote for at least four of last year's nominees over any of this year's.

But, to play it less crankily:

1. Roma
2. The Favourite
3. BlackkKlansman

4. A Star is Born
5. Vice

(EXTRA SPACE TO MEAN I REALLY-REALLY WOULDN'T WANT THEM TO WIN)

6. Black Panther
7. Bohemian Rhapsody
8. Green Book

A related question: who would you vote for in the four acting categories? Even though that's not a ranked system, there has to be some maneuvering involved.

For instance, my choice for best actress would be Melissa McCarthy, but I presume she has no chance, so I might vote for Olivia Colman as my clear choice over Glenn Close.

Similarly, I'd probably pick Willem Dafoe in the actor field, but since I'd rather either Bale or Cooper win over Malek, I might cast a vote for one of them instead (though unsure which way to go).

In supporting, I'd vote for Grant and King without hesitation, as I think they're as much in the race as anyone and they're my first choices.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

anonymous1980 wrote:
I believe they have to place the number next to each Best Picture nominee. There is no rule that says you have to cast a minimum number of votes. You can just vote #1 for your favorite if you want to (I've seen reports of Academy members only ranking 3 or 4 films) but if that film was eliminated in a ballot run-off round, your vote will be thrown away and not be counted.

I will post my rankings once I've seen all Best Picture nominees. There's still 3 I need to see.
Thanks for that Anonymous.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Precious Doll wrote:I'm not sure if Academy members have to place a number next to each best picture nominee, cast votes minimum number of best picture nominees or can limit themselves to just one choice if they chose so. Could someone confirm what it is.
I believe they have to place the number next to each Best Picture nominee. There is no rule that says you have to cast a minimum number of votes. You can just vote #1 for your favorite if you want to (I've seen reports of Academy members only ranking 3 or 4 films) but if that film was eliminated in a ballot run-off round, your vote will be thrown away and not be counted.

I will post my rankings once I've seen all Best Picture nominees. There's still 3 I need to see.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Your best picture ballot

Post by Precious Doll »

I'm not sure if Academy members have to place a number next to each best picture nominee, cast votes minimum number of best picture nominees or can limit themselves to just one choice if they chose so. Could someone confirm what it is.

Anyway, what would your casting order be and leave a space where you would prefer to stop placing numbers.

Mine:

1. The Favourite
2. BlacKkKlansman

3. Bohemian Rhapsody
4. Green Book
5. Black Panther
6. Roma
7. Vice
8. A Star is Born
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “91st Academy Awards”