Details of the February 24th Presentation

For the films of 2018
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Details of the February 24th Presentation

Post by Big Magilla »

Whatever the problem was, things seem to be working now. I received an e-mail notification of the response.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:b]BTW, Magilla[/b]: Did you get my private message yesterday? I'd have expected a reply by now, since I specifically asked for confirmation you received it. If not, it means something's wrong with either how I'm sending private messages, or how the board is processing them. I have three messages sitting in my Outbox -- one for over a week -- that have not turned into Sent Messages. I'm wondering if there's a glitch somewhere.
Interesting, I sent out a PM (which I don't often do) and never heard back. I thought it was strange, but when I just checked after reading this, there is no record of it being sent. Might be a problem with the program!
The program has been working. If the person your sending to has his or her e-mail address listed on his or her profile, they should receive a notification that they have a private message waiting for them.

I received several such messages last week. For some reason, I didn't receive a notification that Tee had sent me one. The box next to our names at the top of the log-in page has a box citing the number of waiting messages, but I guess I hadn't looked there since he sent the message. It was there when I looked after reading this.

By the way, Tee, I responded to your message but it's still showing in my outbox and not my sent box. Please let me know if you didn't get it.
I did get it, and sent a response. Let's see if it's working.

I will be going out for a while now, so I may not check back for a few hours.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

FilmFan720 wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:b]BTW, Magilla[/b]: Did you get my private message yesterday? I'd have expected a reply by now, since I specifically asked for confirmation you received it. If not, it means something's wrong with either how I'm sending private messages, or how the board is processing them. I have three messages sitting in my Outbox -- one for over a week -- that have not turned into Sent Messages. I'm wondering if there's a glitch somewhere.
Interesting, I sent out a PM (which I don't often do) and never heard back. I thought it was strange, but when I just checked after reading this, there is no record of it being sent. Might be a problem with the program!
The program has been working. If the person your sending to has his or her e-mail address listed on his or her profile, they should receive a notification that they have a private message waiting for them.

I received several such messages last week. For some reason, I didn't receive a notification that Tee had sent me one. The box next to our names at the top of the log-in page has a box citing the number of waiting messages, but I guess I hadn't looked there since he sent the message. It was there when I looked after reading this.

By the way, Tee, I responded to your message but it's still showing in my outbox and not my sent box. Please let me know if you didn't get it.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote: Years ago, the Tonys had two awards shows. One, featuring the so-called minor awards was on PBS, the main show followed on CBS. When they eliminated the PBS show, they still presented the so-called minor awards before the main show but they weren't televised, thus the reason for the highlights during the main presentation.
The history of how it went down with the Tonys is instructive and cautionary.

From the beginning of the Tony broadcast (in 1967), all categories were given on air. To be fair, there were fewer tech categories then: scenery/costumes/lighting were single prizes honoring both plays and musicals until 2005, and sound/orchestration awards were also late add-ons. But right from the start, there were network people agitating to get rid of those "boring" categories.

As the ratings for the show dwindled over the course of the 90s, these calls became louder. Finally, Rosie O'Donnell -- when she was the Tonys' biggest booster via her morning show -- came up with a decent compromise: air all the tech prizes (directors/choreographer/score/libretto included) in the 8-9PM ET hour on PBS (so those interested could watch) and present the remainder in the 9-11 network slot. Which worked fine, but wasn't good enough for TV, since what they really wanted was to get rid of those boring awards and make the show into a giant commercial for elaborate musicals (if they'd thought they could have got away with eliminating best play, I'm sure they'd have tried). They finally muscled the board into killing the PBS hour, extending the show to three hours, but still showing only the "glamour" awards, allowing lots more time for bus-and-truck companies of Jersey Boys to be spotlighted year after year. This is what the Oscars will turn into if the creatives aren't vigilant.

(The Grammys, by the way, are another cautionary tale. From what I saw the other night, the Grammys are now a 3 1/2 hour concert, interrupted once or twice an hour by an award presentation.)

BTW, Magilla: Did you get my private message yesterday? I'd have expected a reply by now, since I specifically asked for confirmation you received it. If not, it means something's wrong with either how I'm sending private messages, or how the board is processing them. I have three messages sitting in my Outbox -- one for over a week -- that have not turned into Sent Messages. I'm wondering if there's a glitch somewhere.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Precious Doll wrote: I've long wondered why they don't sell DVDs of their previous broadcasts, though I suppose the market would be pretty small and they would have to clear all the music and clips rights which would probably prove costly.
Film and music clearances will be super expensive and super complicated to hammer out. The closest thing they had was a documentary hosted by Karl Malden called Oscar's Greatest Moments where they presented memorable clips from the telecast from 1970 to 1990. It includes memorable acceptance speeches, bloopers, clips from musical performances, funny quips, etc. It was available on VHS and I actually owned it but I have since sold it off and I think it's out of print now and I don't it was ever available on DVD.

It would be rendered obsolete now because, as pointed out below, most of the clips are available for viewing on the Academy's YouTube page with most film clips and musical performances edited out. It's even arranged and grouped in playlists so you can watch practically the entire telecast in order if you want to. You can find a few of the musical performances in bootleg form around the web somewhere also (including the infamous Snow White-Rob Lowe opening number).

Granted, it's not as good as watching the entire thing unedited but it's the closest thing we have.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Precious Doll wrote:
I've long wondered why they don't sell DVDs of their previous broadcasts, though I suppose the market would be pretty small and they would have to clear all the music and clips rights which would probably prove costly.
The shows are almost 100% available on the YouTube Academy page. It’s split between year and category with film clips and music presentations edited out.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

anonymous1980 wrote:
Precious Doll wrote: The presentation going overtime is part of the shows tradition and I must admit I think the Oscars will struggle to make their 100th anniversary as everything is changing so quickly, no doubt the show may have 'cost issues' and the nature of the general public viewership is evolving into goodness knows what. But for now that should leave it as it has been.
I think it is just bold-faced greed. The Academy still reported has profits of at least $1 billion. The Oscars are STILL the most popular awards show and the most-watched non-sporting event of the year. The ratings are lower but those facts never change. Even sporting events like this year's Superbowl are reporting lower ratings.
$1 billion! I would never have guessed that.

One other thing is that the Oscars play internationally. Clearly not everywhere as some people here on the board have pointed out but they would be making money from that as well. I doubt the Superbowl plays outside of the U.S.

In my shit hole of a country the Oscars play direct (which they have for about 10 years or so) and then again in the evening. So they get two picks of the cherry there. And the first time I ever watched an entire Oscar show back in 1977 was a repeat on a Sunday afternoon!

I've long wondered why they don't sell DVDs of their previous broadcasts, though I suppose the market would be pretty small and they would have to clear all the music and clips rights which would probably prove costly.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Precious Doll wrote: The presentation going overtime is part of the shows tradition and I must admit I think the Oscars will struggle to make their 100th anniversary as everything is changing so quickly, no doubt the show may have 'cost issues' and the nature of the general public viewership is evolving into goodness knows what. But for now that should leave it as it has been.
I think it is just bold-faced greed. The Academy still reported has profits of at least $1 billion. The Oscars are STILL the most popular awards show and the most-watched non-sporting event of the year. The ratings are lower but those facts never change. Even sporting events like this year's Superbowl are reporting lower ratings.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Perhaps its the cynic in me but I can't help thinking whoever is pulling the strings is doing so for nothing more than 'change for the sake of change'.

Working in the same organisation for most of my working life I saw lots of changes, some of them massive. Most changes were to improve efficiency and were completely necessary in a changing work environment which included technical related issues, however some reeked of 'change for the sake of change' just so a new manager could say on their resume 'I made this change and I did this and I did this and so on'. In the last years for my working life if anyone raised valid genuine concerns of changes and their potential negative impact that were shutdown with comments like 'you're not being a team player' etc. I retired early for a number of reasons and one of the primary reasons was because changes were being made that should not have been made. I was lucky that I was in a financial situation to do that.

There is no reason for these changes to the Academy Award presentations - someone clearly wants to crow about their 'accomplishments' at a later date but at this rate all that is going to happen is they will be whipping the shit off their face(s) and its all of their own making.

The presentation going overtime is part of the shows tradition and I must admit I think the Oscars will struggle to make their 100th anniversary as everything is changing so quickly, no doubt the show may have 'cost issues' and the nature of the general public viewership is evolving into goodness knows what. But for now that should leave it as it has been.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

anonymous1980 wrote:Here's a POSSIBLE preview on how they may do the "commercial break" categories. Glenn Weiss, who directed the Tony Awards and is now also directing the Oscars, has cited the Tony Awards as the basis for how they're gonna do the cut categories. Someone uploaded the entire Tony show from a few years ago and I marked on the "commercial break" category presentation.

Take a look.

Now, the Academy claims that the key difference here is that they're gonna air the ENTIRE acceptance speech and the only thing cut is the walk up. You be the judge.
Years ago, the Tonys had two awards shows. One, featuring the so-called minor awards was on PBS, the main show followed on CBS. When they eliminated the PBS show, they still presented the so-called minor awards before the main show but they weren't televised, thus the reason for the highlights during the main presentation.

The Tonys, since they began being broadcast nationally, have always placed an emphasis on live performance, something the Oscars have only done in moderation. Besides, the Oscars aren't eliminating live winner presentations to allow more entertainment, they're doing it to shorten the presentation by a smidgen, which is ridiculous. If they have to do it, as I said before, they should do like the Tonys with the shunted awards presented before the main show and the highlights shown during the broadcast. Doing it during commercial breaks, for all the reasons previously cited, is not only tacky, it's insulting and undignified for the winners to have to make it to the stage amidst the noise and runs to the rest rooms that occur during the breaks. They are not going to have to do more than edit out walks to the stage, they are going to have to edit out the noise and probably more than a few cuss words.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Heksagon wrote: It's particularly odd that they're trying it this year when Best Picture nominations for Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star Is Born mean that the ratings are going to go up in any case.
I know. It seems bonkers since the ratings are guaranteed to go up because of those nominees. I guess they want to put on a show that they think would be appealing to casual and/or new viewers who are fans of those movies.

Which brings me to my story on how I got hooked on the Oscars (and movies in general): The first Oscar show I watched in full was the year Beauty and the Beast got nominated for Best Picture. I was 11 and the fact that an animated film got nominated for Best Picture peaked my interest. I saw the show and what got me is how they presented the technical nominees: The sound nominees, the production design nominees, the behind the scenes footage of the Visual Effects and Makeup nominees. I was also similarly excited to see Terminator 2 win so much awards. This made me hooked on the Oscars and led me to a deep fascination and passion for film ever since.

Now, think about it: Some kid who's a Marvel superhero fan or a tween who's a Lady Gaga fan is enticed to see the Oscars because their favorite movie and celebrity got nominated. A well-produced Oscar that CELEBRATES every aspect of filmmaking may spark something in them that will get them to realize their passion and get them to watch the Oscars and appreciate the craft and the art of filmmaking. You can only do that with a show the celebrates them, not ashamed of t hem.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

It feels insane that they figured that cutting 10-15 min of the broadcast would be worth the inevitable backlash.

It's particularly odd that they're trying it this year when Best Picture nominations for Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star Is Born mean that the ratings are going to go up in any case.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I think this is a good time to restate something I said a year or so ago. Why do I think people complain about how long the Oscars last, but, do not complain about how long the Superbowl lasts? It is because they do not have to stay up late for the Superbowl. As the Oscars are now on Sundays anyway, why don't they simply start the show at something like 5 PM Eastern and not worry about how long it lasts?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Here's a POSSIBLE preview on how they may do the "commercial break" categories. Glenn Weiss, who directed the Tony Awards and is now also directing the Oscars, has cited the Tony Awards as the basis for how they're gonna do the cut categories. Someone uploaded the entire Tony show from a few years ago and I marked on the "commercial break" category presentation.

Take a look.

Now, the Academy claims that the key difference here is that they're gonna air the ENTIRE acceptance speech and the only thing cut is the walk up. You be the judge.

Return to “91st Academy Awards”