Details of the February 24th Presentation

For the films of 2018
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: Details of the February 24th Presentation

Post by Precious Doll »

Apparently, last years acting winners will not be invited back to present as is per the usual custom. Very unfair to Oldman, McDormand, Rockwell & Janney if they were wanted to participate.

I know last year the Academy deviated from that with the lead performances presenters but that was due to Casey Affleck declining.

Its like the Academy is hell bent on trashing the show so much that hardcore fans are likely to pass on it. All there changes appear to be change for changes sake and won't do anything to actually improve the show. I wasn't planning on watching the show this year because I already know that the people I am passionate about winning (Olivia Colman, Spike Lee, Richard E. Grant, Shoplifters) are not going to win so I'll pass but I would not be impressed if one of the categories that I was interesting in watching was presenting during the commercial break.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

A recent tweet by The Academy:

"It's short, but it's heartfelt...and it's full of meaning."
- #Oscars producer Donna Gigliotti explaining what makes a great #Oscars speech before showing this example at the #OscarsLunch

---

The example is Steven Soderbergh's speech... a great and memorable speech indeed, but this lecture comes off as tacky and untasteful. Apparently the nominees need an "explanation" on how to make their speeches... In some other words: keep it short.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

Tessa Thompson is co-starring the next Men in Black movie. That's how they'll introduce her.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Mister Tee wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Amandla Stenberg is great, but who is Tessa Thompson?
Female lead in Sorry to Bother You, Dear White People and the Creed movies. Plenty prominent enough for the gig.
And you even left off the most obvious reason for her selection — her role in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:Amandla Stenberg is great, but who is Tessa Thompson?
Female lead in Sorry to Bother You, Dear White People and the Creed movies. Plenty prominent enough for the gig.

They're going to swoop in last-minute and reinstate last year's winners as presenters, aren't they? I mean, for Christ's sake, Sam Rockwell's going to be right there.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Amandla Stenberg is great, but who is Tessa Thompson?

What happened to the "no other awards show" rule? Awkwafina, Charlize Theron, Amy Poehler, Maya Rudolf and Constance Wu have been on several of them. Is this going to be the Oscars or the Broadcast Critics redux?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The Original BJ wrote:So Amandla Stenberg is famous enough to present, but not Allison Janney and Gary Oldman?
I'm guessing she's famous enough among a coveted demographic.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

So Amandla Stenberg is famous enough to present, but not Allison Janney and Gary Oldman?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

First round of presenters announced:

Awkwafina
Daniel Craig
Chris Evans
Tina Fey
Whoopi Goldberg,
Brie Larson
Jennifer Lopez
Amy Poehler
Maya Rudolph
Amandla Stenberg
Charlize Theron
Tessa Thompson
Constance Wu

I have a feeling they will have Tina and Amy open the show with a comedy monologue and then present the first award.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Huh? They haven't contacted anyone to appear with just three weeks to go? Good luck finding people at the last minute to come out as thirty-second window dressing for a rushed show in which the co-producer is Glenn Weiss, the idiot in his late fifties who held up the last Emmy awards to propose to his latest squeeze, a much younger marketing director, while accepting his Emmy for directing last year's Oscar show. What's sauce for the goose at the Emmys apparently isn't what's sauce for the goose at the Oscars.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

And more bad ideas. (This writer, by the way, is an opinionated jerk, and his last paragraph indicates his "ideas" would be just as bad -- but the factual part of the article is horrifying.)

As Steve Schmidt said about the Trump administration: if you asked the world's greatest HR team to assemble the 1927 Yankees of bad ideas for the Oscars, they couldn't have done this thorough a job.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/oscars-lad ... 202547403/
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

MaxWilder wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:Any chance it penetrates the skulls of the powers that be?
It did!

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/osc ... 203125178/
Maybe it did and maybe it didn't. Maybe cinematography was banished to the commercials to make room for the other three songs.

Could be, as hinted in the article, that Gaga and the other designated performer refused to do so unless the other nominees were invited to perform as well.
anonymous1980 wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:Per Kris Tapley, Cinematography is one of the categories that will be presented during the commercial break.

CINEMATOGRAPHY.
If true, John Bailey, the president of AMPAS, should be outraged since he is a cinematographer himself. Or perhaps he wanted this to happen because he's bitter he's never been nominated while first-time DP Alfonso Cuaron, the presumed front-runner of the category, will have to give his speech during the commercial break "as punishment". :lol:
Bailey wouldn't do that. I've listened to his input on several film commentaries - he's passionate about his fellow cinematographers' work, but if he doesn't use his clout to stifle the producers' half-baked ideas he's a wuss.
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

Mister Tee wrote:Any chance it penetrates the skulls of the powers that be?
It did!

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/osc ... 203125178/
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

For those who haven't seen it yet, this NY Times article articulates much of what we've been saying for weeks. Any chance it penetrates the skulls of the powers that be?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/30/movi ... e=Homepage

Return to “91st Academy Awards”