Re: Details of the February 24th Presentation

Post by Mister Tee »

As could easily have been predicted -- open rebellion:

https://variety.com/2019/film/awards/di ... 203139473/
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

After the likes of Lubezki, Del Toro, Cuarón and some others made comments on twitter, the ASC released a statement regarding the controversy:

https://theasc.com/news/in-response-to- ... o9HMiCJizU
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

None of the American awards shows (Oscars, Emmys, Grammys, Golden Globes, SAG's, occasionally Tonys but not every year, for some reason) has aired on regular free broadcast TV in my country for years now. They air on cable which is actually better because when they, particularly the Oscars, were in the regular broadcast network, the carrier of the Oscars would load it up with MORE commercials, making the Oscar show LONGER.

On to the cut awards: Quite a number of filmmakers have spoken out about it. William Friedkin, Jason Reitman, Guillermo del Toro and Alfonso Cuaron, as of this writing, have expressed their dismay on Twitter. More have and more will follow, I think. This is not going over well.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

mlrg wrote:FYI it’s the first time since 1992 (that’s 27 years) that the ceremony won’t be broadcasted live by any of the four open tv channels in my country. None of the them will even bother to broadcast the shorter version for international viewers that has been broadcasted since 1983 around here.
That's a bummer and a sign of things to come. I suspect driven by lack of interest by most viewers.

I don't think the Golden Globes have played in my country for about 15 years, at least on the free to air TV networks.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:Some of the names added today have had impressive careers, but most of them are primarily either TV or action movie stars. How in Hell are they "Hollywood luminaries"?
Hopefully 10 years from now most of these names will count as "Hollywood luminaries".

Once upon a time we had the likes of Gable, Crawford, Bogie and Greer Garson handing out the awards. It must have been equally jarring to see the likes of Raquel Welch, Hackman, Hawn, MacGraw taking over during the 1970s. But then those names also today appear huge. So today's hacks shall also be considered luminaries one fine day in the future and may even win a statue or two.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think you mean Erik Anderson, the Awards Watch guy, not Eric Anderson, the actor.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

This tweet by Eric Anderson was brought to my attention:

ABC/Disney #Oscars nominations outside of the Top 8

Visual Effects - 3
Production Design - 2
Costume Design - 2
Score - 2
Song - 2
Sound Mixing - 1
Sound Editing - 1
Animated Short - 1
Documentary Short - 0
---
Editing - 0
Cinematography - 0
Makeup - 0
Live Action Short - 0
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Some of the names added today have had impressive careers, but most of them are primarily either TV or action movie stars. How in hell are they "Hollywood luminaries"?

Monday, February 11, 2019 - 07:30

Javier Bardem, Angela Bassett, Chadwick Boseman, Emilia Clarke, Laura Dern, Samuel L. Jackson, Stephan James, Keegan-Michael Key,
KiKi Layne, James McAvoy, Melissa McCarthy, Jason Momoa and Sarah Paulson

A second wave of stars is headed for the Oscars® stage on Sunday, February 24. Academy Awards® producer Donna Gigliotti and co-producer and director Glenn Weiss announced today thirteen more Hollywood luminaries to celebrate the year in movies. The Oscars airs live on the ABC Television Network, and will be broadcast in more than 225 countries and territories.

“The array of talent anchoring the show this year has brought some of the most indelible moments in recent cinematic memory to audiences around the world,” said Gigliotti and Weiss. “They join together to reconnect us with the nominees, their tremendous movies, and outstanding performances.”

Previously announced Oscars presenters include:
Awkwafina, Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Tina Fey, Allison Janney, Brie Larson, Jennifer Lopez, Frances McDormand, Gary Oldman, Amy Poehler, Sam Rockwell, Maya Rudolph, Amandla Stenberg, Charlize Theron, Tessa Thompson and Constance Wu.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It seems to me that this is just an interim measure. Shunt four categories off the air this year, and it no one complains about it, make it six next year and so on until they've gotten the show down to two hours.

If they're going to do it, they should do it like the Tonys do, give out those awards prior to the ceremony. They should also announce them early in the televised ceremony, no later than after the first two awards have been presented live.

As for which categories they select, the correct answer would be none, but in addition to Best Picture, Directing, Acting and Writing, Cinematography and Editing should be the last things they touch. One of, if not the, highlight of last night's BAFTA awards was the BAFTA Fellowship Award presentation to 79-year-old legendary editor, Thelma Schoonmaker.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

So, people have gone through and found that, though Disney-backed films are nominated in most tech categories, miraculously, they have no nominations in cinematography, editing, make-up or live short. (The only below-the-line category without a Disney nominee that survives the purge is doc short.)
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

FYI it’s the first time since 1992 (that’s 27 years) that the ceremony won’t be broadcasted live by any of the four open tv channels in my country. None of the them will even bother to broadcast the shorter version for international viewers that has been broadcasted since 1983 around here.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

FilmFan720 wrote:OK, I just did some YouTube snooping.

Last year, the entirety of the Cinematography prize was 3:00 (i.e. that's how long the YouTube clip from the Academy is). The winner spoke for :53 of that.

Last year, the entirety of the Film Editing prize was 3:03. The winner spoke for 1:05 seconds.

Last year, the entirety of the Live Action Short prize was 3:07. The winners spoke for 1:20 (they were played off after 1:10).

Last year, the entirety of the Make-up prize was 2:25. The speech was :47.

So...by eliminating those four, you would be trimming 11:35 off last year's show. BUT, if they are showing the four speeches in their entirety (and not 10 second clips like the Tonys do), then there will be 4:05 of speeches. So, they took 7 and a half minutes off the show. Big f***ing deal.

Also note that, in the effort to put BIG STARS back in the show, eliminating those four categories last year would have meant no appearance from Sandra Bullock, Matthew Mcconaughey, Tiffany Haddish, Maya Rudolph, Gal Gadot, and Armie Hammer.
Thanks for doing this...

The most mystifying aspect of this approach is the rationale behind it... why would you like a shorter ceremony so much? Why would your main goal be to shorten the show, up to the point of taking awards out of it?

No matter how hard you promote a shorter show to increase audience... I do not think it'll work. Taking these awards out of the ceremony won't make anyone decide to watch the show ("Oh! They won't broadcast the Cinematography award! Now I can watch the show!") but it'll definitely hurt some of the hardcore fans.

And by doing so, you could ask how much time they are saving... FilmFan did the math and obviously is not that much.
Mister Tee wrote: I'm to the point of hoping this year's Oscars are an Allan Carr-level train wreck, so anyone connected with it never gets to make a suggestion again.
Amen...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

One thing I don’t get: will the whole ceremony will be streamed live for all audiences INCLUDING international ones or only these four categories? If it’s only these categories, when does one know that they’re coming up?

This is pretty disgusting...
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

FilmFan720 wrote: Tiffany Haddish, Maya Rudolph,
Not to mention these two were the most entertaining presenters of the night.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Disgraceful. Cinematography and editing are, in my mind, the most significant of the techs. (But at least we're airing any category a Marvel movie might win.)

I know people are protective of the shorts, but they're the ones you can most label as uninteresting to a mass audience -- if four had to go, they should have been three of them. But I guess the idea was not to piss off any single branch too much.

Note to producers who are wedded to three-hours-or-bust: last night's Grammys were scheduled for 3 1/2 hours and ran over -- but ratings seem to have risen a bit.

I'm to the point of hoping this year's Oscars are an Allan Carr-level train wreck, so anyone connected with it never gets to make a suggestion again.

Return to “91st Academy Awards”