Trivia, if you please

For the films of 2018
Greg
Tenured

Re: Trivia, if you please

Post by Greg »

flipp525 wrote:Greg, I’m pretty sure it’s also a record this year for having 7 out of 20 characters playing gay or bisexual.
And all 7 of those are for people who lived/are living.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Greg, I’m pretty sure it’s also a record this year for having 7 out of 20 characters playing gay or bisexual.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

By my count, 13 of the 20 acting nominations are for playing people who have lived/are living. If this is article is correct: https://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/osca ... eal-people, plus with my knowledge of the later Oscars, this is an all-time record.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

If what are becoming the favorites in theses categories actually win:

Director - Alfonso Cuaron, Roma
Original Screenplay - Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara, The Favourite
Adapted Screenplay - Charlie Wachtel & David Rabinowitz and Kevin Willmott & Spike Lee, BlacKkKlansman
Lead Actor - Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody
Lead Actress - Glenn Close - The Wife
Supporting Actor - Mahershala Ali, Green Book
Supporting Actress - Regina King, If Beale Street could Talk

This will the first time since 1956 that the directing, writing, and acting awards all go to different films; and, only the second time since 1932-1933 that this has happened.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

By the standards I laid out, 2006 would actually be right up there with 2018, because the Documentary category includes at least Iraq in Fragments and possibly My Country, My Country. (I say possibly because I remember that film being a hybrid of English and subtitles, but my memory isn't remotely fresh enough to recall how much.)

Frida definitely should not qualify though -- that's an English language movie with some occasional subtitles.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

1998 has 12 (with Central Station and Life Is Beautiful the ones that were outside of Foreign Language Film).
2002 has 14 (Frida, if you count Spirited Away, Talk to Her, y Tu Mama Tambien, and none of those in Foreign Film)
2003 has 11 (City of God, Triplets of Belleville, The Barbarian Invasions)
2004 has 14 (The Passion of the Christ, A Very Long Engagement, The Sea Inside, The Chorus, Maria Full of Grace, The Motorcycle Diaries)
2006 has 19 (Pan's Labyrinth, Apocalypto, Letters from Iwo Jima, Volver, Curse of the Golden Flower)
2007 has 12 (The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, La Vie en Rose, Persepolis)

That's going back to 1990. Keep in mind that I qualify Apocalypto, Letters from Iwo Jima, and The Passion of the Christ, although directed by English-speakers, are still foreign language films.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Precious Doll wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:Here's a question...

Does this year boast the most nominations ever for foreign language films? Excluding the shorts, if you count up the nominations for Roma, Cold War, Never Look Away, Capernaum, Shoplifters, Border, Of Fathers and Sons, and Mirai, I come up with 20 nominations total. That seems like it would have to be some kind of record, right?
I'd say you are correct. The prior record was probably the the year 2000 when Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was nominated for a swag of Oscars.
2000 had 16, thanks to Crouhing Tiger and Malena. I too would assume that was the most before this year.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The Original BJ wrote:Here's a question...

Does this year boast the most nominations ever for foreign language films? Excluding the shorts, if you count up the nominations for Roma, Cold War, Never Look Away, Capernaum, Shoplifters, Border, Of Fathers and Sons, and Mirai, I come up with 20 nominations total. That seems like it would have to be some kind of record, right?
I'd say you are correct. The prior record was probably the the year 2000 when Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was nominated for a swag of Oscars.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Here's a question...

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

- Hannah Beachler, the production designer of Black Panther and Peter Ramsey, one of the directors of Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse are the first African-Americans to be nominated in their respective categories.

- In all three of her nominations, Emma Stone has been nominated for films that got the most nominations in their respective years.

- Mirai is the first non-Studio Ghibli anime film to get the Best Animated Feature nomination.

- Spike Lee and Barry Jenkins are the first African-Americans to get nominated multiple times for writing.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Someone fact check me on this, but I believe Willem Dafoe is the first actor to receive three supporting nominations before receiving his first in lead, a feat accomplished by Glenn Close on what used to be referred to as the distaff side.
This post made me think immediately about current nominee Amy Adams, who we know received 4 nominations in the supporting category (Junebug, Doubt, The Fighter and The Master) before being promoted to Leading for American Hustle, 8 years after receiving her first nod.
Somebody had to break Close's record.

If Adams loses again this year, she will be tied with Deborah Kerr and Thelma Ritter for the most female nominations without a win, a record Close tied several years ago. If Close loses again, she will be the sole record holder.

It was Close who presented Deborah Kerr with her honorary Oscar. Will Adams be the one to present Close with hers if she fails to win this time?
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Big Magilla wrote:Someone fact check me on this, but I believe Willem Dafoe is the first actor to receive three supporting nominations before receiving his first in lead, a feat accomplished by Glenn Close on what used to be referred to as the distaff side.

If Dafoe and Close both win, I think they will be the oldest lead winner combo since Fonda and Hepburn in 1981, though at a combined 134 years they will be 16 years short of Fonda and Hepburn's record 150. If Elliott and King win as well, they will be 259, 27 years short of the 1981's foursome combined age record of 283. Fonda was 76, Hepburn 74, Gielgud 77 and Stapleton 56. Dafoe is 63, Close 71, Elliott 74 and King 48.
This post made me think immediately about current nominee Amy Adams, who we know received 4 nominations in the supporting category (Junebug, Doubt, The Fighter and The Master) before being promoted to Leading for American Hustle, 8 years after receiving her first nod.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Someone fact check me on this, but I believe Willem Dafoe is the first actor to receive three supporting nominations before receiving his first in lead, a feat accomplished by Glenn Close on what used to be referred to as the distaff side.

If Dafoe and Close both win, I think they will be the oldest lead winner combo since Fonda and Hepburn in 1981, though at a combined 134 years they will be 16 years short of Fonda and Hepburn's record 150. If Elliott and King win as well, they will be 259, 27 years short of the 1981's foursome combined age record of 283. Fonda was 76, Hepburn 74, Gielgud 77 and Stapleton 56. Dafoe is 63, Close 71, Elliott 74 and King 48.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Gabriela Rodríguez, one of Roma's producers, became the first Latin woman nominated for Best Picture. It took me more than 3 days to find out she's Venezuelan, so by my count she may be/is the first Venezuelan ever to receive an Oscar nomination (and it is for Best Picture). This would have been major news in my country had Venezuela not been in the chaotic scenario it currently goes through.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Uri
Adjunct

Trivia, if you please

Post by Uri »

Christian Bale and Amy adams are nominated for the same film for the third time - The Fighter, American Hustle ans now Vice.

Never happened before. And only Walter Pidgeon and Greer Garson (Mrs. Miniver and Madam Curie), Marlon Brando and Karl Malden (A Streetcar Names Desire and On the Waterfront) and Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Lining Playbook and, again, American Hustle) were nominated twice for the same films.

Return to “91st Academy Awards”