Reactions

For the films of 2018
anonymous1980
Laureate

Re: Reactions

Post by anonymous1980 »

QUESTION! Is Roma the first foreign language film to get TWO acting nominations?
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Uri wrote:Now all we need is for Mia Farrow to be nominated so she and Sinatra can break the record.
If we expand that from acting, remember she was also married to Oscar-winner Andre Previn.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Ah, so. I had a feeling I didn't look far enough.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Big Magilla wrote: This is the first time the last two supporting actor winners were nominated in the same year. It happened twice before in the Best Actress category - Fontaine and Garson in 1943, Jones and Bergman in 1945 with Garson, Jones and Bergman making it three in a row repeating in 1945.
Back in 1935 all 4 recent winners, male and female, were nominated again: Hepburn and Colbert as well as Laughton and Gable.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll wrote:
Reza wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:I wouldn't watch it myself. I've already seen a feature film that deals with this very subject matter and it was one of the most disturbing cinema experiences of my life. I'm not going back for seconds thank you:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-23/ ... n/10739112
What was the name of the feature film?
Plac zabaw (Playground) (2016) Its a Polish film whilst not actually based on the James Bulger murder case, the last third of the film is a rennactment of the actual crime. Director/co-writer Bartosz M. Kowalski claims to have not heard of the Bulger case (I'd believe that only if he been living in a cave for the last quarter of a century). The film understandably upset James Bulger's parents, not to mention audiences who walked on it in droves at its World Premier at the 2016 San Sebastian Film Festival. When I saw the film I knew that it had caused mass walkouts but didn't know why. Needless to say I when watching it there comes a the point were you realise why (a young child James Bulger's age is taken by two young teenage boys - the footage is shown as if taken by a security camera) - my partner and I both let out a groan of realisation.

From what I have read masses of walkouts occur at this particularly scene, then another wave of walkouts 10 minutes later.

I should add that I did think Playground was a good film but I found it a deeply disturbing viewing experience. Maybe if I had known how it was going to play out I might not have been so shocked - having said that I should stress that the most graphic scenes are shown in long shots.

I'm truely disturbed that director of Detainment, Vincent Lambe, didn't consult the parents. It seems to have been an afterthought after the shit has hit the fan. Whilst I don't go out of my way to see the short films nominated anyway, I'll need to keep this one in mind so that I avoid it prior to any feature films it may show up with.

It may in fact be very good and not in anyway tasteless but that Lambe's directors statement https://filmfreeway.com/detainment does give me some concern. People have to make up their own minds on the film. I choose not to see it and I don't think the Academy should retract the nomination. Hell, if voters think its the best than members should vote for it but for me personally I'm not going anywhere near it.
I still don't get what was so horrifying about the film to cause mass walk outs. I understand two kids kidnap another kid and then proceed to brutally murder him......or is that the true story plot of the Oscar nominated short film? Well yes graphic violence against anyone, including kids, is disturbing but no more disturbing than countless films which show violence, blood and gore which most of us calmly sit through.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm not sure Free Solo counts as an IMAX documentary, but if it does, does this make it the first IMAX documentary nominated for documentary feature?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:I wouldn't watch it myself. I've already seen a feature film that deals with this very subject matter and it was one of the most disturbing cinema experiences of my life. I'm not going back for seconds thank you:

Plac zabaw (Playground) (2016) Its a Polish film whilst not actually based on the James Bulger murder case, the last third of the film is a rennactment of the actual crime. Director/co-writer Bartosz M. Kowalski claims to have not heard of the Bulger case (I'd believe that only if he been living in a cave for the last quarter of a century). The film understandably upset James Bulger's parents, not to mention audiences who walked on it in droves at its World Premier at the 2016 San Sebastian Film Festival. When I saw the film I knew that it had caused mass walkouts but didn't know why. Needless to say I when watching it there comes a the point were you realise why (a young child James Bulger's age is taken by two young teenage boys - the footage is shown as if taken by a security camera) - my partner and I both let out a groan of realisation.

From what I have read masses of walkouts occur at this particularly scene, then another wave of walkouts 10 minutes later.

I should add that I did think Playground was a good film but I found it a deeply disturbing viewing experience. Maybe if I had known how it was going to play out I might not have been so shocked - having said that I should stress that the most graphic scenes are shown in long shots.

I'm truely disturbed that director of Detainment, Vincent Lambe, didn't consult the parents. It seems to have been an afterthought after the shit has hit the fan. Whilst I don't go out of my way to see the short films nominated anyway, I'll need to keep this one in mind so that I avoid it prior to any feature films it may show up with.

It may in fact be very good and not in anyway tasteless but that Lambe's directors statement https://filmfreeway.com/detainment does give me some concern. People have to make up their own minds on the film. I choose not to see it and I don't think the Academy should retract the nomination. Hell, if voters think its the best than members should vote for it but for me personally I'm not going anywhere near it.
Last edited by Precious Doll on Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

I just found out that the ceremony won’t be broadcasted live by any tv channel in my country for the first time since 1992 :(
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Two bits of trivia I don't see anyone having mentioned yet:

This is the first time there have been two black-and-white nominees for Best Cinematography since the separate black-and-white and color categories were abolished beginning with the 1967 awards.

This is the first time the last two supporting actor winners were nominated in the same year. It happened twice before in the Best Actress category - Fontaine and Garson in 1943, Jones and Bergman in 1945 with Garson, Jones and Bergman making it three in a row repeating in 1945.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I wouldn't watch it myself. I've already seen a feature film that deals with this very subject matter and it was one of the most disturbing cinema experiences of my life. I'm not going back for seconds thank you:

"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

FilmFan720 wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:The Coens have a long way to go to catch Woody Allen, but by my count this is their 6th writing nod.
7th. I'm assuming you forgot about Bridge of Spies!
On the money. Thanks.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Mister Tee wrote: Harris also notes that 7 of the nominated actors are playing gay roles (Malek, Colman, McCarty, Ali, Grant, Stone, Weisz). The best part of that is, it didn't even occur to me till he pointed it out.
Yes, it used to be a big deal when someone was nominated for playing a gay role (and sometimes overrewarded for being so darned convincing), so it’s indeed a sign of progress that most of us—me included—didn’t even notice the preponderance of such nominations this year. I’m not sure, though, that the Weisz and Stone characters, though clearly shown having gay sex, were actually gay so much as a variation of “gay for pay.” Gay for power?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote:
I think she will also win the Bafta :lol:
Colman has the BFTA in the bag just as much as Close has the Oscar in the bag - just hope Academy members don't actually watch The Wife.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Sabin wrote:
danfrank wrote
It sounds like you're saying that what makes a film a worthy best picture nominee is that there is cultural buzz about it, or that it somehow catches the zeitgeist; that a film "matters" if there is a lot of media coverage or people are talking about it around the water cooler. I don't agree with this premise. I think quality matters. I don't think that the 4th version of "A Star is Born" matters all that much. I also think that fluff is fluff, whether it catches the zeitgeist or not, or whether it is promoted by Harvey Weinstein or not.
No, I’m not saying that. But I’m saying it can be a factor. I’m open about the fact thay I only really like one film nominate (The Favourite — I haven’t seen Roma). But if we MUST get mediocrities, I’d rather they be mediocrities that tap into the zeitgeist rather than a year filled with Imitation Games and Theory if Everythings.
Thanks for clarifying. My only concession would be to Black Panther, the nomination of which carries symbolic significance and no doubt has brought joy to many. I, too, prefer a Black Panther nomination than those for inconsequential bores like Imitation Game and Theory of Everything. I won’t, though, make the same concession for A Star is Born.

Return to “91st Academy Awards”