The Nominations Announcement

For the films of 2018
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: The Nominations Announcement

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I don't know if I'll be able to watch it either way this year. I'm having my annual heating maintenance between 8 and 12 am on Tuesday. If the guy comes early, I will be in the basement watching him instead of the Oscar announcement. It's an appointment I had to make three months ahead of time so I'm not canceling it for any reason.
Offer the guy a mug of coffee and make him watch the live nominations too so you don't miss out. He can carry on with his work as soon as the nods are announced :lol:
It's not as simple as that. I'd want to do more than just watch the announcements, I'd want to come here and comment on them. Soon a few minutes would turn into an hour or more! :|
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:I don't know if I'll be able to watch it either way this year. I'm having my annual heating maintenance between 8 and 12 am on Tuesday. If the guy comes early, I will be in the basement watching him instead of the Oscar announcement. It's an appointment I had to make three months ahead of time so I'm not canceling it for any reason.
Offer the guy a mug of coffee and make him watch the live nominations too so you don't miss out. He can carry on with his work as soon as the nods are announced :lol:
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

If you have a copy of Inside Oscar, the answer is on page 689 - it was the 1986 awards, announced at 5:30 am PST by the previous year's supporting acting winners, Don Ameche and Anjelica Huston with then Academy president Robert Wise. Wise and Shirley MacLaine did the honors the following year.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

OscarGuy wrote:I know that they've been televising since at least 1991 because that's the legendary announcement of Beauty and the Beast as a nominee
I remember that some announcements from previous years were available on YouTube
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I know that they've been televising since at least 1991 because that's the legendary announcement of Beauty and the Beast as a nominee.

As to E!, it hasn't aired the nominations in a few years. I used to watch there because they showed the whole thing, not just the televised part (they also didn't time delay for the morning shows. I can't remember when they stopped, but online suits me just fine now.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'm pretty sure we discussed this before. I know it's covered in Inside Oscar. Pretty sure it was sometime in the late 1980s that the announcements were regularly broadcast on TV. Prior to that, there was an exception with the 1954 nominations which were televised.

In years past, newspapers were the sole source of the complete nominations, although radio and TV news usually provided the highlights.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Out of curiosity, do you guys, specially Magilla and Tee, remember when the academy started to announce the nominations live on Tv? Prior to that, were the newspapers the only source of information?

Since 1997 I have only missed the live announcement once (2007) because I was in a company meeting in Paris and there was no online streaming at the time.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I watched it both on-line and TV a couple of times. The TV broadcast is time delayed seven seconds or whatever it is so if you want to be among the first to hear the results, you're better off with the on-line version. :?

If you insist on TV, E! used to carry more than the Good Morning America segment allowed for, don't know if they still do.

I don't know if I'll be able to watch it either way this year. I'm having my annual heating maintenance between 8 and 12 am on Tuesday. If the guy comes early, I will be in the basement watching him instead of the Oscar announcement. It's an appointment I had to make three months ahead of time so I'm not canceling it for any reason.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

anonymous1980 wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:
Any word if both segments will be televised? Last year, I had to last-minute-scramble to boot up my computer to get the Oscar.com stream for the earlier portion; it'd be a lot easier if it all made it on air. (Especially since there are major acting categories in the first group, this time around.)
You can just stream it on the Academy's YouTube page. If you insist on watching it on TV, I think at least Good Morning America airs both segments.
They didn't last year; that's what I was watching. It took me a moment to realize they weren't covering the first segment, and I had to scramble to get the stream going.

TV is just a lot simpler, at least for us old folk.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote:Also, according to the Academy's Twitter, Kumail Nanjiani and Tracee Ellis Ross will be announcing. The former makes sense. The latter is a television personality primarily, so that doesn't make as much sense.
Tracee Ellis Ross stars in an ABC show. The Oscars are on ABC.
Any word if both segments will be televised? Last year, I had to last-minute-scramble to boot up my computer to get the Oscar.com stream for the earlier portion; it'd be a lot easier if it all made it on air. (Especially since there are major acting categories in the first group, this time around.)
You can just stream it on the Academy's YouTube page. If you insist on watching it on TV, I think at least Good Morning America airs both segments.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Mister Tee wrote:Apparently the days of big stars/Oscar winners doing the announcement are long gone. As you both note, Ross isn't even a film name -- but Nanjiani isn't exactly a luminary, either.
Nanjiani, as a first-time nominee from last year, could be viewed as a "rising star," which, very often, accounts for at least one of the two presenters.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Apparently the days of big stars/Oscar winners doing the announcement are long gone. As you both note, Ross isn't even a film name -- but Nanjiani isn't exactly a luminary, either.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Kumail Nanjiani and Tracee Ellis Ross will be announcing. (The latter seems an odd choice -- she doesn't have much of a film career at all.)

EDIT: Apparently OscarGuy and I had the exact same thought in the same moment.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Also, according to the Academy's Twitter, Kumail Nanjiani and Tracee Ellis Ross will be announcing. The former makes sense. The latter is a television personality primarily, so that doesn't make as much sense.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Here's the bulk of the press release on my own site:

http://www.cinemasight.com/91st-oscars- ... formation/
Wesley Lovell

Return to “91st Academy Awards”