The Host of the 91st Academy Awards Is....

For the films of 2018
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: The Host of the 91st Academy Awards Is....

Post by Big Magilla »

MaxWilder wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:Is Kevin Hart back?
Huh. It would appear so. 'If Noted LesbianTM Ellen Degeneres approves, we're in the clear!' How cynical. :roll:
Cynical indeed. Looks to me like ABC is pulling the strings to get as much publicity out of this as it possibly can in the hopes that it can get a few million viewers who have no interest in the Oscars per se to tune in to see what will happen.
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

Precious Doll wrote:Is Kevin Hart back?
Huh. It would appear so. 'If Noted LesbianTM Ellen Degeneres approves, we're in the clear!' How cynical. :roll:
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Here's the massive list of members of the Board of Governors:

https://www.oscars.org/about/board-of-governors
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

anonymous1980 wrote:There's a concerted effort to get Ken Jeong to host. Whoopi Goldberg (I think she's a Board of Governors Academy member) endorsed him in Colbert and he also seems to be willing.
He sounds like he would be a great choice. I only know him from The Hangover films, in which he was hilarious and upstaged the leading men, and its about time a person of Asian heritage got the Oscar hosting gig.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

There's a concerted effort to get Ken Jeong to host. Whoopi Goldberg (I think she's a Board of Governors Academy member) endorsed him in Colbert and he also seems to be willing.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Greg wrote:
HarryGoldfarb wrote:However, it is not surprising: part of what is done in the company for which I work now, when evaluating candidates to fill vacancies in different jobs, is to review their social networks, and I understand that it is a common practice.
What about candidates who never used social networks?
They are the minority... but if you have decided to show nothing on social networks, then nothing compromising from you will be public. This doesn't add up to the process and leaves the recruiter with fewer things to evaluate.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Sabin wrote:
The Original BJ wrote
Its use of Visual Effects were egregiously shoddy, so even though it's a weak field, I'd say probably not. Look at Arrival.
And this was very unexpected. The final battle actually displayed some of the worst cgi of the year. However, if the Academy really goes bananas for the film, in an attempt to be more populistic, it can show up there too.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

anonymous1980 wrote:The problem with the Oscars is that it's trying to chase an audience they will never have: People who don't give a shit about them. I think the Oscars should instead EMBRACE the audience they already have: film buffs, pop culture junkies, awards nerds, LGBT people, the elderly, etc. People who already enjoy and love them. That audience is still big enough to make it the second highest rated show on TV (yes, it's not as big as it was 20 years ago but everything is lower rated now).
That would be great but unless ABC drops them and they go to a smaller network that doesn't care as much about ratings the jackasses who run ABC, not the ones who run the Oscars, aren't likely to let that happen.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I'll be the optimistic counterpoint to Precious Doll:

Well, at this day and age of streaming, entertainment has become niche since people now have the power to choose when and where they consume their media. The problem with the Oscars and network TV in general, they're still chasing ratings that are no longer possible. This year will PROBABLY get a bit of a bump because of Black Panther and Lady Gaga but otherwise, they'll be lucky to break 28-29 million.

But the fact of the matter is: The Oscars are STILL the highest rated non-sporting broadcast of the year and the second highest rated TV show of the year. It is STILL the highest rated awards show. The People's Choice Awards and MTV Movie Awards give out awards to big celebrities and to big blockbuster movies. The Grammys have a lot of big stars that appeal to the kids and hardly have any awards at all. The Oscars STILL have higher ratings than them.

I do think that the Oscars are STILL the most prestigious awards show there is and it will have some clout.

The problem with the Oscars is that it's trying to chase an audience they will never have: People who don't give a shit about them. I think the Oscars should instead EMBRACE the audience they already have: film buffs, pop culture junkies, awards nerds, LGBT people, the elderly, etc. People who already enjoy and love them. That audience is still big enough to make it the second highest rated show on TV (yes, it's not as big as it was 20 years ago but everything is lower rated now).
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote: I don't disagree, but who in their right mind would want to take their place?

What will it take to get rid of Dawn Hudson, who has been CEO of the Academy since 2011? Many of these crazy ideas link back to her. Other board members come and go, but she stays put. Why?
Never heard of Dawn Hudson. Looked her up: failed actress. Failed CEO of the Academy too. She needs to go but not only who would want to take her place but can you actually find anyone even vaguely competent these days.

Another stuff up - the proposal to bring forward the date of the ceremony.

To be honest I think the Academy are going to be in for a very rough time in the next few years. The impact of streaming has really taken hold, box office way down for most smaller films and little interest in the 'Oscars' from the general public. They are becoming less and less relevant to audiences in general. Aside from various 'internet communities' people barely mention them to me in 'real life'.

What has also been noticeable for a number of years now if that after the awards ceremony a couple of the winning films have a little rise at the box office the week after then slump back down.

I really don't see how it is economical for the studios to throw money at campaigning. Even 10 years ago some winner greatly benefited from nominations and wins but nowadays very few films appear to.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote:After the actual Oscar ceremony is over the Board of Governors should resign (does anyone have the authority to sack them?). 2018 has been one disaster after another and they are to blame:

Announcing a 'popular film' category - clearly this was a 'thought bubble' and no announcement should have been made until that had thoroughly thought it through;

Pushing some of the 'minor' awards out of the show (is this still going to happen?) - these people's contribute to cinema and are just as valuable as those known to Oscar watchers (there is no such thing as a 'household name' anymore). They deserve their moment;

Rescinding Roman Polanskis' membership (this I'm on the fence about) but then inviting his wife to become member. Are they really that out of touch :oops: ;

And now the Kevin Hart controversy which is all of their own making.

They (the Governors) are as appalling, incompetent, out of touch and dysfunctional as nearly all of the politicians across every so called democracy across the planet - and we all know what as mess the world is in.

I don't disagree, but who in their right mind would want to take their place?

What will it take to get rid of Dawn Hudson, who has been CEO of the Academy since 2011? Many of these crazy ideas link back to her. Other board members come and go, but she stays put. Why?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I'm sure most people have already read about this:

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/12/acade ... 202027093/

My comment:

After the actual Oscar ceremony is over the Board of Governors should resign (does anyone have the authority to sack them?). 2018 has been one disaster after another and they are to blame:

Announcing a 'popular film' category - clearly this was a 'thought bubble' and no announcement should have been made until that had thoroughly thought it through;

Pushing some of the 'minor' awards out of the show (is this still going to happen?) - these people's contribute to cinema and are just as valuable as those known to Oscar watchers (there is no such thing as a 'household name' anymore). They deserve their moment;

Rescinding Roman Polanskis' membership (this I'm on the fence about) but then inviting his wife to become member. Are they really that out of touch :oops: ;

And now the Kevin Hart controversy which is all of their own making.

They (the Governors) are as appalling, incompetent, out of touch and dysfunctional as nearly all of the politicians across every so called democracy across the planet - and we all know what as mess the world is in.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote:
Reza wrote
All these supposed nods have a strong whiff of Doctor Dolittle from way back yonder though to give it some credit at least Black Panther is far more entertaining if equally popcorn fare.
This ignores what a cultural phenomenon the film was.
Yes very true. The first film about black culture that has made so much money.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Sabin wrote:
Reza wrote
All these supposed nods have a strong whiff of Doctor Dolittle from way back yonder though to give it some credit at least Black Panther is far more entertaining if equally popcorn fare.
This ignores what a cultural phenomenon the film was.
Also that Doctor Dolittle is a crime against celluloid for which there are truly very few appropriate comparisons.

Return to “91st Academy Awards”