Film Independant Spirit Awards

For the films of 2018
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Film Independant Spirit Awards

Post by Sabin »

The big takeaway is the strong performance by A24, Amazon, Annapurna, and The Orchard (five, the most of any other film, for We the Animals) and the weak performance by independent labels like Focus, Fox Searchlight, and Sony Pictures Classics which somehow missed Best Feature for Can You Ever Forgive Me? and a Best Female Lead nomination for Melissa McCarthy. This is one of the few years I'm going to be paying attention because I don't know what is going to win. Beyond that, their rebuke of studio labels makes for the most forward-looking (and thus independent) slates in years.

A Best Director nomination would seem to point to If Beale Street Could Talk but I think Eighth Grade might just pull off a win. It's zeitgeisty with widespread appeal.

Beyond that:
Best First Feature: holy shit, who knows? We the Animals, Sorry to Bother You, and Hereditary each have a real shot. With five nominations, I'd have to guess We the Animals.
Best Female Lead: Glenn Close, The Wife
Best Male Lead: Ethan Hawke, First Reformed
Best Supporting Female: Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk
Best Supporting Male: Adam Driver or Richard E. Grant? Probably Adam Driver. He's been on the bubble for too long.
Best Director: Barry Jenkins, I guess...?
Best Screenplay: First Reformed, but it could just as easily be Can You Ever Forgive Me? Has Nicole Holofcener ever won?
Best First Screenplay: Eighth Grade
Best Editing: You Were Never Really Here but who knows?
Best International Film: Roma
Best Documentary: Won't You Be My Neighbor
John Cassavetes Award: Thunder Road... maybe?
Best Cinematography: We the Animals
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Film Independant Spirit Awards

Post by Big Magilla »

Return to “91st Academy Awards”