Golden Globe reactions

For the films of 2018
Jefforey Smith
Graduate

Re: Golden Globe reactions

Post by Jefforey Smith »

Reza wrote:People have been underestimating the sentimental factor attached to Close. She will easily win the Oscar. Colman's chances got screwed when she was bumped up into lead. The Oscar is clearly hers if she is nominated in support but has no chance against Close especially after the room's reaction tonight.
I tend to agree regarding the sentiment attached to Close and fingers crossed she finally wins. It's been thirty years since Close's Dangerous Liaisons performance (which I felt should've won) lost to Jodie Foster in The Accused.

And prior to that, Close had racked up three Supporting nominations and one for Best Actress. I sort of thought she was overdue for a win with Dangerous Liaisons.

She's recently earned a Best Actress nomination for Albert Nobbs in 2012.

Close now has the overdue factor in spades yet we'll have to wait & see. (Richard Burton also had the overdue factor in his favor later in his career yet he still didn't win.)
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

flipp525 wrote:Is there really that much animus towards Rami Malek’s performance? Yes, Bohemian Rhapsody is very paint-by-numbers but his performance is wonderful and he seems like such a nice person at these shows. Bradley Cooper still seems very much in the game and could certainly still win, but it’s not like Malek is serving Eddie Redmayne realness here.
Totally agree with you. The movie sucks but he is wonderful
ThePianist
Graduate

Post by ThePianist »

Okay, this Raimi situation is an odd one. Everyone from AW, to AwardsDaily, to Goldderby, to Twitter seems to be automatically citing him as a lock. And... I don't buy it. At least not at the moment.

Look, he's obviously the frontrunner. But Bohemian Rhapsody winning Drama, might just fuck this up for Rami. If anything else had won, I'd say he's an easy sweeper. Now, I don't know. People are gonna go after that movie hard. And yeah, Cooper obviously made a big mistake prioritizing his Director campaign, and now he's going to have to pivot to this quick since Cuarón is clearly gonna sweep as he hopes to god Twitter users and Journalists burn Bohemian Rhapsody to the fucking ground. It's clear Cooper does not have a DiCaprio type rep with the HFPA (lost for Silver Linings, snubbed for Sniper). Though, I think there's a chance he can still recover from this, and who knows how the industry is going to react to his film and his performance. Don't get me wrong, I'm still confident in Raimi taking this, if you had me predict right now. But looking at the overall picture, it seems like a coin toss. Have to see SAG just to be 100% sure, I suppose.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

anonymous1980 wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:I might have missed it, but when was the last time Best Drama went to a film without a corresponding director nomination?
Scent of a Woman back in 1992. That one didn't have a Screenplay nomination either.
It actually won Screenplay.

I've been a big Rami Malek fan since The Pacific almost ten years ago, and I really feared that he would either by typecast by that role, or just fall off into small "ethnic" roles. I'm happy to see him succeed, but I wish he were succeeding for something else.

And Ali is really going to win his second Oscar, isn't he? Like Malek, I find him impossible to dislike, but for this role, in this year, it's tough to get any joy out of him winning. Give it to a longtime unrecognized character actor like Grant or Elliott, give it to the slumming Lead who got screwed over last year, give it to literally anyone else.

Okay, so how can Hollywood, and all of these awards bodies talk "Time's Up" and "Me Too" while giving Best Picture to a movie directed by a credibly-accused child rapist? Sure, he was taken off the production (right at the time his rape accusations started making noise again...what a coincidence), and no one dared to mention his name, but they honored the movie. If Bryan Singer gets to continue working and have his movies get wide releases and an awards push by a major studio, then is there any logical reason why Harvey Weinstein and Kevin Spacey shouldn't? Either time's up, or it isn't. Either you care about sexual assault, or you don't. But you can't say you care and want to do something about it and then honor a Bryan Singer movie as one of the best of the year. Absolutely not.
Last edited by dws1982 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Is there really that much animus towards Rami Malek’s performance? Yes, Bohemian Rhapsody is very paint-by-numbers but his performance is wonderful and he seems like such a nice person at these shows. Bradley Cooper still seems very much in the game and could certainly still win, but it’s not like Malek is serving Eddie Redmayne realness here.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:Is Bohemian Rhapsody the worst reviewed film ever to win Best Drama?
It has to be. 49 on metacritic on 48% on RT (top critics) is ghastly. Aside: RT should be divided into top critics and 'people with websites.' I disregard the genpop number.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Is Bohemian Rhapsody the worst reviewed film ever to win Best Drama?

Are we facing an era of populism in awards as a (cheap) way or strategy to remain relevant?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

If Borat were a real person, he would be in the HFPA. (Not actually a joke.) This group gets to influence the Oscar race?

I'm going to cling to the idea/delusion that the Academy is too dignified to reward Bohemian Rhapsody (with a nom) or Malek (with a win) just because the HFPA gave them the idea.

Will reading this board for the next 6 weeks be better or worse for my sanity?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

OscarGuy wrote:I might have missed it, but when was the last time Best Drama went to a film without a corresponding director nomination?
1992 - Scent of a Woman
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Scent of a Woman back in 1992. That one didn't have a Screenplay nomination either. It won the same awards Bohemian Rhapsody did but it did have an additional Supporting Actor nomination for Chris O'Donnell though.

FYI: The last time a Best Motion Picture - Drama Golden Globe winner that did not get a Best Picture nomination was The Cardinal back in 1963.
Last edited by anonymous1980 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I might have missed it, but when was the last time Best Drama went to a film without a corresponding director nomination?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote:Did anyone thank Bryan Singer?
No one dared.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

The only surprise of the night for me was Bohemian Rhapsody winning best drama. People were really overestimating "Star". It would surely have won a number of Globes if nominated in the "correct" category. The producers (or whoever) who thought they would strike gold by placing the film in the drama category must be kicking themselves. Lady Gaga could have easily won over Olivia Colman.

People have been underestimating the sentimental factor attached to Close. She will easily win the Oscar. Colman's chances got screwed when she was bumped up into lead. The Oscar is clearly hers if she is nominated in support but has no chance against Close especially after the room's reaction tonight. Colman will have to make do with an Emmy for the third season of The Queen next fall. Regina King will win the supporting award by default.

Malek is now easily the favorite to win the Oscar.

Richard E. Grant could be a surprise win but I think the momentum is going to be with Ali who will take his second Oscar. His film is upbeat - will win screenplay too - while Grant's film is too downbeat.

Bohemian will now get a best picture nod but either Green Book or Black Panther will win. I think Green Book has a stronger chance due to its message about racism.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote: The 14-year struggle to get the film made. Her moving tribute to her mother.
14 years to get The Wife made??? All that time and what amounts to a Hallmark film is the end result. No wonder English language cinema is in the toilet.

I didn't watch the show. Don't even know if any of the TV networks were playing it. I re-watched The Young Lions again. But one question. Did anyone thank Bryan Singer?
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Big Magilla wrote:I predicted 3 of the last 4 awards handed out, but there is no way I would have thought that Bohemian Rhapsody would win anything other than Best Actor.
Hmmm. That's what I thought as I watched the show, but it seems I was a little more prescient when I made my predicitons for CinemaSight last Thursday. This is what I said then:

Best Picture, Drama
A Star Is Born (r-u Bohemian Rhapsody)
The Globes are likely to go with the flow and award the highly successful fourth version of A Star Is Born, but they could throw a curve and reward the popular if critically derided Bohemian Rhapsody.

Return to “91st Academy Awards”