Golden Globe reactions

For the films of 2018
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Re: Golden Globe reactions

Post by ITALIANO »

Mister Tee wrote: You guys are doing a ton of jumping ahead, presuming Close has already locked away subsequent awards. Let's wait and see. This could be a Globes-only sentimental choice. Which Burton turned out to be.
Of course it could be - and I'd never say that Glenn Close has by now already won her Oscar.

Still, what I feel is that - on this board especially - there is rather a sort-of (inexplicable) resistance to the idea of such a great actress finally getting an Oscar. And for a performance which - despite what this board collectively thinks - is not bad, not bad at all. Not as great as other Close's performances maybe, and in a little, unmemorable movie - but still a performance by one of the greatest living American actresses (and not her worst nominated turn either, by the way). Glenn Close even not at her best is much, much better than Lady Gaga at her best, still surprisingly here, especially before the Globes, most seemed to be rooting for Lady Gaga (someone even changed his judgement of her performance in A Star Is Born, from bad to positive, probably fearing to be out of sync with the "big" prizes).

But of course, if the Globes - which in theory would be "the" place for a Lady Gaga win - have chosen a different solution, the more selective, pickier Academy (years ago they didn't even nominate Madonna for Evita) will probably do the same. They have a way to still honor her (Best Song) and avoid an honestly embarassing outcome.

As for A Star is Born in general, I've always felt that it's a story tailor-made for Americans, which may partly explain why the Globes almost completely ignored it. Yet, of course, it's not like Bohemian Rhapsody is a much better - or more subtle - effort. At least there is now an alternative to Badley Cooper for the Oscar, which admittedly will make the Best Actor race more interesting (though not one where I will find someone to especially root for). I will see Vice tomorrow, but it's not like a Best Actor in a Comedy Globe has always been such a foolproof Oscar precursor...
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

OscarGuy wrote:Yes it's annual. Yes it's going to be for TV only unlike the DeMille. It's also going to be named the Carol Burnett Award.
Dick Van Dyke should be the recipient next year before its too late.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Yes it's annual. Yes it's going to be for TV only unlike the DeMille. It's also going to be named the Carol Burnett Award.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Is the special Globe that was given to Carol Burnett this year going to be an annual award like the DeMille? What makes it different to the DeMille award? Are they now differentiating their honorary awards for film & tv?
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
Reza wrote: Don't think Colman (or any of the others) have any chance of a win against Close. Even if she loses both the SAG and the Bafta she will win the Oscar.
Ditto.
Magilla and Reza, convinced a senior citizen will win. Unprecedented.
I'm actually surprised more of you guys aren't in line with a Close win by now and still think Colman has a good chance.....or Lady Gaga for that matter.

Is there any chance Colman could be nominated in the supporting category? Didn't the reverse happen with Kate Winslet when it was thought she was supporting in The Reader but got nominated for it in the lead category?
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:
Reza wrote:I think even the young know quite well who Glenn Close is looking at her filmography - the Dalmations film has probably been seen by most of today's generation while they were kids and her work on tv in Damages has also kept her profile pretty high in recent years. So it's not quite the Jessica Tandy or Geraldine Page factor where the young lot may ask that question about Close.
Apparently you haven't read the Twitter reactions where "Who is Glenn Close?" was indeed asked by more than one young person.
:lol:
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:
Reza wrote: Don't think Colman (or any of the others) have any chance of a win against Close. Even if she loses both the SAG and the Bafta she will win the Oscar.
Ditto.
Magilla and Reza, convinced a senior citizen will win. Unprecedented.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:If Close runs the table on TV awards, of course I'll change my view. But I, apparently unlike many here, am content to live in the present, and wait for the future to get here.

Don't think Colman (or any of the others) have any chance of a win against Close. Even if she loses both the SAG and the Bafta she will win the Oscar.
Ditto.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:I think even the young know quite well who Glenn Close is looking at her filmography - the Dalmations film has probably been seen by most of today's generation while they were kids and her work on tv in Damages has also kept her profile pretty high in recent years. So it's not quite the Jessica Tandy or Geraldine Page factor where the young lot may ask that question about Close.
Apparently you haven't read the Twitter reactions where "Who is Glenn Close?" was indeed asked by more than one young person.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:If Close runs the table on TV awards, of course I'll change my view. But I, apparently unlike many here, am content to live in the present, and wait for the future to get here.

Don't think Colman (or any of the others) have any chance of a win against Close. Even if she loses both the SAG and the Bafta she will win the Oscar.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:The Globes were alone in rewarding Burton.
And, so far, the Globes are alone in rewarding Close (as far as the win). (By the way, BAFTA is irrelevant, since in those days it took place months after the Oscars -- the two ceremonies had no relation whatever.)

You guys are doing a ton of jumping ahead, presuming Close has already locked away subsequent awards. Let's wait and see. This could be a Globes-only sentimental choice. Which Burton turned out to be.

The most striking similarity between the Burton and Close situations is, it was easy to root for the veteran if you hadn't bothered to see the film/performance in question. Close's competition -- most especially Colman -- comes from more widely-regarded-and-probably-nominated films, which could make a difference.

If Close runs the table on TV awards, of course I'll change my view. But I, apparently unlike many here, am content to live in the present, and wait for the future to get here.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:
Reza wrote:
Jefforey Smith wrote:Close now has the overdue factor in spades yet we'll have to wait & see. (Richard Burton also had the overdue factor in his favor later in his career yet he still didn't win.)
Funny you mentioned Burton. His seventh (and final) Oscar nod came for Equus in 1977. He won the Globe for this performance but lost the Oscar to Richard Drefuss.

Close is in a similar boat. She has 6 nods so far and an upcoming 7th soon. Has won the Globe like Burton. Now we await the result. Will she win or lose the Oscar like Burton?
It's a different situation.

The Globes were alone in rewarding Burton. Even BAFTA, which managed to nominate three other actors (Jenny Agutter, Colin Blakley, Joan Plowright) and his Oscar nominated co-star (Peter Firth) had won several critics' awards and was generally considered to have given a stronger performance.

What is similar, though, is that 1977 was all about rewarding the hot younger stars - Richard Dreyfuss and Diane Keaton - over veterans. Dreyfuss's biggest competition was an even younger John Travolta, not Burton. This year bodes well for a younger actor to take the Best Actor prize - Cooper, Hawke, Malek, Crowe are all a lot younger than Close. On the female side, though, she is more readily compared to Geraldine Page whose nominations, like Close's, were a mix of lead and supporting nominations over four decades long before she finally won on her eighth try. Page's chief competition the year she won was a hot new star named Whoopi Goldberg. The critics' awards for Best Actress were as all over the map that year as they are this year.
HarryGoldfarb wrote:The Burton precedent is very painful but a perfectly likely scenario in the real world, one that I wish won't occur. May the Gaga and Cooper losing at the Globes create a sympathy momentum for both of them?
Only among the young and uninformed who have to ask "Who is Glenn Close?"
I think even the young know quite well who Glenn Close is looking at her filmography - the Dalmations film has probably been seen by most of today's generation while they were kids and her work on tv in Damages has also kept her profile pretty high in recent years. So it's not quite the Jessica Tandy or Geraldine Page factor where the young lot may ask that question about Close.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:
Jefforey Smith wrote:Close now has the overdue factor in spades yet we'll have to wait & see. (Richard Burton also had the overdue factor in his favor later in his career yet he still didn't win.)
Funny you mentioned Burton. His seventh (and final) Oscar nod came for Equus in 1977. He won the Globe for this performance but lost the Oscar to Richard Drefuss.

Close is in a similar boat. She has 6 nods so far and an upcoming 7th soon. Has won the Globe like Burton. Now we await the result. Will she win or lose the Oscar like Burton?
It's a different situation.

The Globes were alone in rewarding Burton. Even BAFTA, which managed to nominate three other actors (Jenny Agutter, Colin Blakley, Joan Plowright) and his Oscar nominated co-star (Peter Firth) had won several critics' awards and was generally considered to have given a stronger performance.

What is similar, though, is that 1977 was all about rewarding the hot younger stars - Richard Dreyfuss and Diane Keaton - over veterans. Dreyfuss's biggest competition was an even younger John Travolta, not Burton. This year bodes well for a younger actor to take the Best Actor prize - Cooper, Hawke, Malek, Crowe are all a lot younger than Close. On the female side, though, she is more readily compared to Geraldine Page whose nominations, like Close's, were a mix of lead and supporting nominations over four decades long before she finally won on her eighth try. Page's chief competition the year she won was a hot new star named Whoopi Goldberg. The critics' awards for Best Actress were as all over the map that year as they are this year.
HarryGoldfarb wrote:The Burton precedent is very painful but a perfectly likely scenario in the real world, one that I wish won't occur. May the Gaga and Cooper losing at the Globes create a sympathy momentum for both of them?
Only among the young and uninformed who have to ask "Who is Glenn Close?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Jefforey Smith wrote:
Reza wrote:People have been underestimating the sentimental factor attached to Close. She will easily win the Oscar. Colman's chances got screwed when she was bumped up into lead. The Oscar is clearly hers if she is nominated in support but has no chance against Close especially after the room's reaction tonight.
I tend to agree regarding the sentiment attached to Close and fingers crossed she finally wins. It's been thirty years since Close's Dangerous Liaisons performance (which I felt should've won) lost to Jodie Foster in The Accused.

And prior to that, Close had racked up three Supporting nominations and one for Best Actress. I sort of thought she was overdue for a win with Dangerous Liaisons.

She's recently earned a Best Actress nomination for Albert Nobbs in 2012.

Close now has the overdue factor in spades yet we'll have to wait & see. (Richard Burton also had the overdue factor in his favor later in his career yet he still didn't win.)
I still have to watch The Favourite and the Melissa McCarthy vehicle, bue between Gaga and Close, in my opinion Close gave the better performance (not that it matters when it comes down to awards giving). I echoe the sentiment: fingers crossed, she'll win. And I totally agree she should have won for Dangerous Liaisons. I'm not a fan of her performance in Albert Nobbs, but she's certainly a superb actress.

Your last paragraph (the Burton precedent) is very painful but a perfectly likely scenario in the real world, one that I wish won't occur. May the Gaga and Cooper losing at the Globes create a sympathy momentum for both of them?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)

Return to “91st Academy Awards”