Golden Globe reactions

For the films of 2018
flipp525
Laureate

Re: Golden Globe reactions

Post by flipp525 »

Her last big Oscar-nominated role was 30 years ago!
No it wasn’t. Glenn Close was nominated for Best Actress for Albert Nobbs in 2012, losing to Meryl Streep for her horrid turn in execrable The Iron Lady.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

MaxWilder wrote: Her last big Oscar-nominated role was 30 years ago!
Yes, but you see - this is also a very American way of thinking. Because in Europe for those who are into movies (and of course when it comes to awards, you must only consider those who are into the field which that award deals with - would you ask people in the street what they think of potential Nobel Prize in Physics winners?) 30 years ago is like yesterday. Because history - even film history - is very important, and actually (again: at least in Euope) it increases a star's reputation rather than damaging it.

Oscar voters are mostly American, true - but they also are into movies, they work or used to work in movies. And they aren't exactly very young either. So I don't understand how that fact that Glenn Close hasn't been in a hit movie recently can damage her Oscar chances.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I think this is a terrible reason to vote for her, but here's Jeffrey Wells' reason for voting for Close in Sunday's Critics' Choice Awards:

JW Pick: Glenn Close, The Wife / serious conflict here — my actual favorite is Melissa McCarthy but I’m also a Close supporter from way back. Plus a Close win at the CC awards will bolster her Oscar chances and thus lessen the odds favoring Lady Gaga.
Haha I think this is quite often how many in the Academy also vote.
Sadly, true.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Reza wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:Yes it's annual. Yes it's going to be for TV only unlike the DeMille. It's also going to be named the Carol Burnett Award.
Dick Van Dyke should be the recipient next year before its too late.
I was thinking Betty White, but Van Dyke would be a wonderful choice too.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:I think this is a terrible reason to vote for her, but here's Jeffrey Wells' reason for voting for Close in Sunday's Critics' Choice Awards:

JW Pick: Glenn Close, The Wife / serious conflict here — my actual favorite is Melissa McCarthy but I’m also a Close supporter from way back. Plus a Close win at the CC awards will bolster her Oscar chances and thus lessen the odds favoring Lady Gaga.
Haha I think this is quite often how many in the Academy also vote.
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

ITALIANO wrote:At least in Europe, many under 45 know and respect Glenn Close. In America it could be different, ok. But still how many in the Academy are under 45?
It’s the same here: the <45 set certainly knows and respects Glenn Close. She’s just not an icon to them the way Meryl Streep is, despite their being about the same age. (I see 20-somethings use Meryl Streep reaction gifs on twitter/Instagram all the time.) Her last big Oscar-nominated role was 30 years ago!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think this is a terrible reason to vote for her, but here's Jeffrey Wells' reason for voting for Close in Sunday's Critics' Choice Awards:

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

ITALIANO wrote:Yes, Original BJ, I am crazy, of course.
I did not say that.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

The Original BJ wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:The movie IS kind-of irrelevant, true - but hers is still the performance of an intelligent, subtle professional. I wouldn't have a big problem with her losing again, don't get me wrong - but her losing to Lady Gaga?! It may not seem absurd to some on this board, but it would seem absurd to ME (and, I think, to the Academy).
Aren’t you kind of overinflating the level of enthusiasm for Lady Gaga on this board? Obviously some folks don’t dislike her work as much as you do, but I’m not sure anyone here is rooting for her to win the Best Actress Oscar. (Certainly no one is making a strong push for that, and most of us have expressed more affection for other candidates.) It kind of feels like a narrative you’ve constructed in your head, honestly, without much evidence.

Yes, Original BJ, I am crazy, of course.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Mister Tee wrote: Where do you get the idea that opposition to Glenn Close means rooting for Lady Gaga?
I didn't mean you, of course. Mister Tee rooting for Lady Gaga? Hopefully not in this life :)

But yes, I think that till now you have underestimated not only Close's performance but even - most importantly - the (deserved) respect the industry feels for her (you also thought she might not even be nominated - and, I mean, it's not that this year there are so many great performances by actresses in leading roles).

I haven't seen Colman and McCarthy yet, but it's quite possible I will agree with you that they are both better than Close. Still, the Oscars as you know aren't just about giving the best performance, and I wonder if these two actresses are really "strong" enough to be a valid obstacle to Close's victory. Colman maybe could be, but I will know only after I see her movie.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

ITALIANO wrote:The movie IS kind-of irrelevant, true - but hers is still the performance of an intelligent, subtle professional. I wouldn't have a big problem with her losing again, don't get me wrong - but her losing to Lady Gaga?! It may not seem absurd to some on this board, but it would seem absurd to ME (and, I think, to the Academy).
Aren’t you kind of overinflating the level of enthusiasm for Lady Gaga on this board? Obviously some folks don’t dislike her work as much as you do, but I’m not sure anyone here is rooting for her to win the Best Actress Oscar. (Certainly no one is making a strong push for that, and most of us have expressed more affection for other candidates.) It kind of feels like a narrative you’ve constructed in your head, honestly, without much evidence.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

ITALIANO wrote:
MaxWilder wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:Still, what I feel is that - on this board especially - there is rather a sort-of (inexplicable) resistance to the idea of such a great actress finally getting an Oscar
I was in that group. I discounted her chances because her performance is in a movie that is pretty much irrelevant. I'm sure it's a fine film but before Sunday no one was talking about it. To be blunt, the title makes it sound boring as hell. I imagined it staying at the bottom of everyone's screener pile.

(Also, I didn't think We need to get Glenn Close her Oscar! would be on the mind of anyone under 45.)

But then she gave that speech. I'm ready for a hot plate of crow.
The movie IS kind-of irrelevant, true - but hers is still the performance of an intelligent, subtle professional. I wouldn't have a big problem with her losing again, don't get me wrong - but her losing to Lady Gaga?! It may not seem absurd to some on this board, but it would seem absurd to ME (and, I think, to the Academy).
Where do you get the idea that opposition to Glenn Close means rooting for Lady Gaga? I've for some time been of the opinion that Olivia Colman is the strongest prospect for this year's Oscar, and the Globes win only confirmed that. (Yes, just comedy/musical, but you can only win where you're placed.) If it came down to a Close/Gaga face-off, I'd have to (without enthusiasm) root for Close. But I don't think that's the situation.

I say this as someone who has decades of enthusiasm for Close -- having seen her onstage in Barnum, The Real Thing, Benefactors and Sunset Boulevard, having rooted for her when she was nominated for Garp and Dangerous Liaisons. But I cling to a belief that the individual performance should have at least some bearing on winning an Oscar, and I found the Close performance in The Wife to be without any true distinction. I grant I may have been set up, by the blogger narrative, and more disappointed than I might have been. going in cold. But I can say that, this year, I find Colman and Melissa McCarthy's performances to be of distinction, worthy of honors, and I just don't see Close in the same category.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

MaxWilder wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:Still, what I feel is that - on this board especially - there is rather a sort-of (inexplicable) resistance to the idea of such a great actress finally getting an Oscar
I was in that group. I discounted her chances because her performance is in a movie that is pretty much irrelevant. I'm sure it's a fine film but before Sunday no one was talking about it. To be blunt, the title makes it sound boring as hell. I imagined it staying at the bottom of everyone's screener pile.

(Also, I didn't think We need to get Glenn Close her Oscar! would be on the mind of anyone under 45.)

The movie IS kind-of irrelevant, true - but hers is still the performance of an intelligent, subtle professional. I wouldn't have a big problem with her losing again, don't get me wrong - but her losing to Lady Gaga?! It may not seem absurd to some on this board, but it would seem absurd to ME (and, I think, to the Academy).

At least in Europe, many under 45 know and respect Glenn Close. In America it could be different, ok. But still how many in the Academy are under 45?
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

ITALIANO wrote:
Mister Tee wrote: You guys are doing a ton of jumping ahead, presuming Close has already locked away subsequent awards. Let's wait and see. This could be a Globes-only sentimental choice. Which Burton turned out to be.
Of course it could be - and I'd never say that Glenn Close has by now already won her Oscar.

Still, what I feel is that - on this board especially - there is rather a sort-of (inexplicable) resistance to the idea of such a great actress finally getting an Oscar. And for a performance which - despite what this board collectively thinks - is not bad, not bad at all. Not as great as other Close's performances maybe, and in a little, unmemorable movie - but still a performance by one of the greatest living American actresses (and not her worst nominated turn either, by the way). Glenn Close even not at her best is much, much better than Lady Gaga at her best, still surprisingly here, especially before the Globes, most seemed to be rooting for Lady Gaga (someone even changed his judgement of her performance in A Star Is Born, from bad to positive, probably fearing to be out of sync with the "big" prizes).
:lol:

Return to “91st Academy Awards”