Producer's Guild of America Award

For the films of 2018
MaxWilder
Graduate

Re: Producer's Guild of America Award

Post by MaxWilder »

Sabin wrote:Chocolat also has a 62% on RT (same as Bohemian Rhapsody) with just GG and SAG ensemble noms but no GG. The closest competitors are Babel and Les Miserables with 69% on RT followed by The Help with 75% on RT.
Thanks for looking into that! I'm surprised Les Mis was so low. Let's look at metacritic.

BR: 49 (yellow)
Chocolat: 64
Babel: 69
Les Mis: 63
The Help: 62

Babel was the best reviewed of the bunch? Blech!
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

MaxWilder wrote
Bohemian Rhapsody has to be the worst-reviewed movie to get GG, SAG ensemble and PGA noms.
Chocolat also has a 62% on RT (same as Bohemian Rhapsody) with just GG and SAG ensemble noms but no GG. The closest competitors are Babel and Les Miserables with 69% on RT followed by The Help with 75% on RT.
"How's the despair?"
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

David O. Selznick Achievement Award in Theatrical Motion Pictures: Kevin Feige
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I bid on Crazy Rich Asians in my Oscar pool. I think they should nominate it. This has been a garbage year for movies and it stands apart as one of the most garbage films that I’ve seen. But truly it does stand apart as a movie that speaks about so much that is so broken and wrong and infantile about our culture today. It would be a good representative choice, if not a good movie.
"How's the despair?"
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

Bohemian Rhapsody has to be the worst-reviewed movie to get GG, SAG ensemble and PGA noms.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Mister Tee wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:The last film to get PGA, SAG Ensemble, and Globe Picture nominations and not get a Best Picture nomination is Dreamgirls (pre-expansion). Do you think that maybe we are underestimating Crazy Rich Asians popping up in Best Picture?
Bridesmaids?.
Damn, I missed that! Still a two time Oscar nominee...maybe CRA is at least more of a screenplay nominee than we admit
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

And First Reformed.
OscarGuy wrote:If Beale Street Could Talk is better than most of those nominees.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

FilmFan720 wrote:The last film to get PGA, SAG Ensemble, and Globe Picture nominations and not get a Best Picture nomination is Dreamgirls (pre-expansion). Do you think that maybe we are underestimating Crazy Rich Asians popping up in Best Picture?
Bridesmaids?

The PGA folk clearly got John Bailey's memo; this is as Show Me the Money a list as they've generated in a while -- Asians, Quiet Place and Bohemian Rhapsody are clearly there solely for their grosses. (It reminds me a bit of 2001, when they only had five slots, but gave two of them to Shrek and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone). Sometimes, this group will promote something smaller along with the big boppers (The Big Sick, Ex Machina), but this year those slots were necessary to get Roma and The Favourite locked in. Vice is the only inclusion that seems fully in spite of commercial considerations. And Beale Street took the clearest blow, but maybe it'll recover at AMPAS the way Room did.

ON EDIT: Forgot: any chance First Man or Widows had of recovering from their commercial demises probably ended here.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Also Bohemian Rhapsody.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

The last film to get PGA, SAG Ensemble, and Globe Picture nominations and not get a Best Picture nomination is Dreamgirls (pre-expansion). Do you think that maybe we are underestimating Crazy Rich Asians popping up in Best Picture?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

If Beale Street Could Talk is better than most of those nominees.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Producer's Guild of America Award

Post by anonymous1980 »

The nominees:

Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
Crazy Rich Asians
The Favourite
Green Book
A Quiet Place