WGA Exclusions

For the films of 2018
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Re: WGA Exclusions

Post by The Original BJ »

I was going to predict the exact same 10 as Sabin (though fearing Bohemian Rhapsody and/or Crazy Rich Asians leapfrog one of the more deserving smaller films.)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Predictions... Seems pretty locked up to me .The only question to me is whether or not First Reformed can get in past Eighth Grade and A Quiet Place. Not this year.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
EIGHTH GRADE / Bo Burnham
GREEN BOOK / Nick Vallelonga & Brian Hayes Currie & Peter Farrelly
A QUIET PLACE / Bryan Woods & Scott Beck and John Krasinski [screenplay], Bryan Woods & Scott Beck [story]
ROMA / Alfonso Cuaron
VICE / Adam McKay

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
BLACK PANTHER / Ryan Coogler & Joe Robert Cole
BLACKKKLANSMAN / Charlie Wachtel & David Rabinowitz and Kevin Willmot & Spike Lee
CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME / Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty
IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK / Barry Jenkins
A STAR IS BORN / Eric Roth and Bradley Cooper & Will Fetters
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

My ballot.

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Written by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen

Eighth Grade
Written by Bo Burnham

First Reformed
Written by Paul Schrader

Roma
Written by Alfonso Cuarón

Vice
Written by Adam McKay

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Blackkklansman
Written by Charlie Wachtel & David Rabinowitz and Kevin Willmott & Spike Lee; Based on the book by Ron Stallworth

Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Screenplay by Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty; Based on the book by Lee Israel

If Beale Street Could Talk
Screenplay by Barry Jenkins; Based on the novel by James Baldwin

Widows
Screenplay by Gillian Flynn & Steve McQueen; Based on "Widows" by Lynda LaPlante

Wildlife
Screenplay by Paul Dano & Zoe Kazan; Based on the book by Richard Ford
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

This is interesting in a couple of ways.

The fact that The Favourite will not be on the ballot means we have to keep one sure extra slot in mind when trying to figure the Oscar nominations vis a vis the WGA. But we also have to keep in mind that fringe candidates Sorry to Bother You and The Death of Stalin could also show up at AMPAS, with no preview.

At the win stage: The Favourite certainly seems the likeliest winner at the Oscars, but since we won't have the WGA seal of approval, there'll be at least a modicum of suspense. (And I suppose there'll be some question at WGA itself, whether Green Book takes the opportunity to score a cheap win, or whether the guild goes for Roma -- though writing is not its strongest suit -- or maybe something like Eighth Grade or First Reformed.)

I know seemingly open races have had a way of shutting down early in recent years, but this seems a year where more categories than usual could remain competitive.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

WGA Exclusions

Two big headlines -- the first is that Roma IS eligible. (As usual, most other foreign language films are not.)

The second is that The Favourite is NOT eligible -- many of the other films I list below could be candidates on the margins, if not total long-shots for recognition, but that one seems a certain Oscar nominee and possible winner in that category, so I wanted to single it out.

And as usual, the animated entries are ineligible as well, along with the following:

ORIGINAL
At Eternity's Gate
The Favourite
Hereditary
The Rider
Sorry to Bother You
Stan & Ollie
Vox Lux

ADAPTED
The Death of Stalin
Disobedience
Leave No Trace
A Simple Favor
The Sisters Brothers
Solo: A Star Wars Story
We the Animals

As always, I'm just eye-balling the ballot, so this isn't a conclusive list, just anything that seemed even vaguely in the discussion.

Return to “91st Academy Awards”