Golden Globe Awards

For the films of 2018
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Golden Globe Awards

Post by Big Magilla »

The Original BJ wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:Alphabetization question for the season: does Black Panther go before or after BlackKklansman? (Today it was listed before, but it seems like it should be after, no?) And Lady Gaga really should be listed AFTER Nicole Kidman, not before right? (Her last name isn't Gaga.)
BlackKklansman is one word, so, no, it shouldn't be placed before Black Panther.

As for Gaga, Lady isn't either her first or last name, it's her title, so why would you equate that to a last name or put in an imaginary hyphen and list her after Kidman as though she were Ann-Margret who should be alphabetized as Ann and not Margret?
Queen Latifah in the year of Chicago was alphabetized under Q, not L. Wouldn’t Gaga be a similar situation?
Yes, but Latifah wasn't listed properly at the time! :twisted:
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

The usual mixture of the expected and the totally random (John C. Reilly?). Of course Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody did well with the HFPA. :roll: Ethan Hawke and Sam Elliott will still be SAG- and Oscar-nominated. I really hope Rosamund Pike will replace Melissa McCarthy when those are announced.
flipp525 wrote:Rosamund Pike should have won the Oscar for Gone Girl.
Gillian Flynn, too. That was a perfect book-to-screen adaptation and she wasn't even nominated. :roll:
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Rosamund Pike should have won the Oscar for Gone Girl.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The Original BJ wrote:
A Private War is a movie that was barely on my radar at all. Has anyone seen it? Is Rosamund Pike a contender? (Or is her nomination just the death knell for more highly publicized candidates like Collette, Davis, Mulligan?)
I have (my full review is in the Official Review of 2018 thread). Yes, Rosamund Pike is a contender. When I got out, I was surprised she wasn't being talked up more for Best Actress because she was outstanding. It's very baity role too: plays a real person, with a disability (she wears an eyepatch and is half-blind for most of the film), suffers from PTSD and alcoholism, has long monologues and the film tackles Very Important Issues. I cheered when her name was announced, a very pleasant surprise.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I had been thinking that Chalamet was going to be left off in Supporting but this certainly gives him a push for an historic youngest actor to get back-to-back Oscar nominations. Hollywood clearly loves him and Lucas Hedges.

This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion around here but while Bohemian Rhapsody was a very anesthetized and paint-by-numbers biopic, I thought Tami Malek was outstanding and I would gladly support a nomination for him.

Sam Elliott will rebound with SAG and then an Oscar nomination. He or Grant will win the Oscar.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Big Magilla wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:Alphabetization question for the season: does Black Panther go before or after BlackKklansman? (Today it was listed before, but it seems like it should be after, no?) And Lady Gaga really should be listed AFTER Nicole Kidman, not before right? (Her last name isn't Gaga.)
BlackKklansman is one word, so, no, it shouldn't be placed before Black Panther.

As for Gaga, Lady isn't either her first or last name, it's her title, so why would you equate that to a last name or put in an imaginary hyphen and list her after Kidman as though she were Ann-Margret who should be alphabetized as Ann and not Margret?
Queen Latifah in the year of Chicago was alphabetized under Q, not L. Wouldn’t Gaga be a similar situation?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Have the Globes ever been this different from the critics?

The nominees are mostly all major films as opposed to minor arthouse films promoted by the various critics groups.

I thought they might pass over NYFC winner Regina Hall, but Ethen Hawke's omission is a surprise. Good news for Willem Dafoe, though.

Now let's see what SAG does.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Well, the big groaners were Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody. I figured Green Book was in for Comedy Picture and both actors, but the Screenplay and (gag) Director citations suggest it's more of a top-tier Best Picture candidate than I thought/hoped. And how bizarre that this is the film that doesn't get punished for its box office underperformance, while superior efforts like First Man (two noms) and Widows (nada) get hurt for flopping. On the flip side, Bohemian Rhapsody's Best Picture nomination is based almost entirely on box office -- I doubt something that poorly reviewed (49 Metacritic!) makes it to the Oscars in the top category, but this suggests Rami Malek is looking like a solid enough Best Actor candidate, something I hadn't anticipated when those grisly reviews dropped.

As to the Black Panther question, the verdict is mixed -- a Best Picture nomination here is nothing to scoff at, and I'd say it was a crucial step toward the film making the eventual Oscar list. But the lack of any other major nominations keeps the movie in barely-hanging-on territory.

Vice comes on VERY strong -- leads the nominations, in fact -- confirming the feeling I had after seeing it that this could be a major player this season.

After a strong precursor run so far, First Reformed hits a big wall. The Screenplay miss wasn't so shocking given the limited field, but Ethan Hawke's omission in Best Actor (a pretty weak category) was one of the more puzzling omissions of the morning.

A Private War is a movie that was barely on my radar at all. Has anyone seen it? Is Rosamund Pike a contender? (Or is her nomination just the death knell for more highly publicized candidates like Collette, Davis, Mulligan?)

Oddest omission for a film that otherwise did very well: Sam Elliott in Supporting Actor (the victim of two leads hogging supporting slots). Runners-up: Mary Poppins missing in Song and If Beale Street Could Talk in Original Score.

Roma did about as well as it could have. I'd thought Screenplay was iffy, given the nature of the film, but that nom suggests voters just liked it a lot in general, and certainly would have placed it in Best Picture had it been eligible there.

Alphabetization question for the season: does Black Panther go before or after BlackKklansman? (Today it was listed before, but it seems like it should be after, no?) And Lady Gaga really should be listed AFTER Nicole Kidman, not before right? (Her last name isn't Gaga.)
Last edited by The Original BJ on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The nominees:

Best Motion Picture, Drama
Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
If Beale Street Could Talk
A Star Is Born

Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy
Crazy Rich Asians
The Favourite
Green Book
Mary Poppins Returns
Vice

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama
Glenn Close, The Wife
Lady Gaga, A Star Is Born
Nicole Kidman, Destroyer
Melissa McCarthy, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Rosamund Pike, A Private War

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy
Emily Blunt, Mary Poppins Returns
Olivia Colman, The Favourite
Elsie Fisher, Eighth Grade
Charlize Theron, Tully
Constance Wu, Crazy Rich Asians

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama
Bradley Cooper, A Star Is Born
Willem Dafoe, At Eternity’s Gate
Lucas Hedges, Boy Erased
Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody
John David Washington, BlacKkKlansman

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Mahershala Ali, Green Book
Timothée Chalamet, Beautiful Boy
Adam Driver, BlacKkKlansman
Richard E. Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Sam Rockwell, Vice

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Amy Adams, Vice
Claire Foy, First Man
Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk
Emma Stone, The Favourite
Rachel Weisz, The Favourite

Best Director, Motion Picture
Alfonso Cuarón, Roma
Peter Farrelly, Green Book
Spike Lee, BlacKkKlansman
Adam McKay, Vice

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy
Christian Bale, Vice
Line-Manuel Miranda, Mary Poppins Returns
Viggo Mortensen, Green Book
Robert Redford, The Old Man and the Gun
John C. Reilly, Stan & Ollie

Best Original Song, Motion Picture
“All the Stars,” Black Panther
“Girl in the Movies,” Dumplin’
“Requiem for a Private War,” A Private War
“Revelation,” Boy Erased
“Shallow,” A Star Is Born

Best Screenplay, Motion Picture
Alfonso Cuaron, Roma
Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara, The Favourite
Barry Jenkins, If Beale Street Could Talk
Adam McKay, Vice
Peter Farrelly, Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie, Green Book

Best Original Score, Motion Picture
Marco Beltrami, A Quiet Place
Alexandre Desplat, Isle of Dogs
Ludwig Göransson, Black Panther
Justin Hurwitz, First Man
Marc Shaiman, Mary Poppins Returns

Best Motion Picture, Animated
Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse

Best Motion Picture, Foreign Language
Capernaum
Girl
Never Look Away
Roma
Shoplifters
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Just a few thoughts. I'm not going to post my predictions. These things get pretty same-y and consensus-y the more people post. I more or less agree with BJ and anonymous on what's going to be nominated with a few exceptions...

-- The big question for me is Black Panther. For the past couple of months, I've kept it waiting in the wings thinking that they might not take it seriously enough. After all, they didn't nominate The Dark Knight ten (!!!) years ago. But they are the Hollywood Foreign Press. They had no problem nominating Inception. And the competition is fairly weak. First Man and Widows remarkably underperformed while Beautiful Boy, Boy Erased, and Can You Ever Forgive Me? never started. On the other hand, Black Panther was a culture and financial juggernaut that ALSO remains an underdog in the Best Picture race. Eyes should be on it as a narrative starts to form.

-- No women will be nominated for Best Director. I don't expect as much outrage as last year when Greta Gerwig was such an obvious and deserving contender. People will complain about a nomination for Marielle Heller but in a year where Spike Lee might get his first nomination I don't think it will be heard. Speaking of which, the film I am second most curious about is BlacKKKlansman because it's such a great example of a popular, mostly liked film that looks better and better each month as it sinks into memory. Could it be a surprise Screenplay winner?

-- There's a chance that Best Animated Feature went from done deal to crapshoot. Between Incredibles 2, Isle of Dogs, and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, I'm not confident at all. Incredibles 2 is the biggest animated film of all time. Who remembers anything that happened in it? Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is a late starter with already considerably more enthusiasm behind it. And could Isle of Dogs benefit from a superhero split? After all, Wes Anderson has never won anything. And truly, what about ME in all of this? Must my love of all things Wes Anderson be pit against my love of all things Spider-Man?

-- Best Supporting Actress remains a weird race this year for a host of reasons. One of the reasons is that if BJ is right, the old lady of the group will be Rachel Weisz. They haven't missed an opportunity to nominate Nicole Kidman yet so I expect her to show up for Boy Erased.

-- One month ago, I thought Widows could be an underdog Best Picture contender. It's proven to be something of a bust at the box office. I wonder how Viola Davis can hold up in a competitive Best Actress category (I think they may favor Natalie Portman for Vox Lux) but I do like the choice of a Best Screenplay nomination for McQueen and Gillian Flynn. That's so them.
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

A few thoughts before Thursday's nominations:

1) The balance between Drama and Comedy/Musical seems a lot more even than in some years. This will have two effects. The first is that the HFPA won't have to scrounge up candidates on the Comedy/Musical side -- most of those nominees will come from films that are solidly in the overall discussion. The second effect is that voters also won't have to do a lot of culling among Drama candidates, so the fields in some races (particularly both lead acting fields) might not narrow as quickly as they have in some years.

2) My understanding is that the HFPA has decided to go along with the studio preference for supporting nominations for Ali, Chalamet, Stone, and Weisz. (But that they have rejected a similar placement for Natalie Portman in Vox Lux).

3) On 538's podcast before the midterms, the crowd had a segment where they each stated one congressional race they'd like to know the outcome of before making their overall House/Senate predictions. If you apply a similar question here -- which movie would you like to know the nomination haul for before you make predictions? -- my answer would be Black Panther. It feels like this is our first test for whether or not the film will be more of a Mad Max: Fury Road this season, or more of a Wonder Woman. It could end up with a decent haul here -- Picture, Song/Score, Supporting Actor, maybe even Director if it really exceeds expectations -- but I could easily see a world where it blanks completely, which isn't something I could say for many other other top-tier candidates. (The fact that so many other movies have slam-dunk acting nominees makes them unlikely to come up totally short, but Panther doesn't really have that luxury.)

4) It's very possible we end up with the most diverse director lineup we've ever had -- Cuarón seems a certainty, and some combo of Lee, Jenkins, McQueen, and MAYBE Coogler all seem like real possibilities. What doesn't seem likely, though, is that a woman seriously contends this year -- Marielle Heller is about the only option, and given her film's box office underperformance, and lack of visual bravado, I rate her a long-shot at best. It seems the likelihood of grumblings about another all male Globe list are high.

Anyway, my predictions:

BEST PICTURE (DRAMA)
BlackKklansman
Black Panther
First Man
A Star is Born

BEST PICTURE (COMEDY/MUSICAL)
Crazy Rich Asians
The Favourite
Green Book
Mary Poppins Returns
Vice

BEST DIRECTOR
Bradley Cooper, A Star is Born
Alfonso Cuarón, Roma
Yorgos Lanthimos, The Favourite
Spike Lee, BlackKklansman
Adam McKay, Vice

BEST ACTOR (DRAMA)
Clint Eastwood, The Mule
Ryan Gosling, First Man
Ethan Hawke, First Reformed

BEST ACTOR (COMEDY/MUSICAL)
Christian Bale, Vice
Lin-Manuel Miranda, Mary Poppins Returns
Robert Redford, The Old Man and the Gun
Lakeith Stanfield, Sorry to Bother You

BEST ACTRESS (DRAMA)
Glenn Close, The Wife
Viola Davis, Widows
Nicole Kidman, Destroyer
Lady Gaga, A Star is Born
Melissa McCarthy, Can You Ever Forgive Me?

BEST ACTRESS (COMEDY/MUSICAL)
Elsie Fisher, Eighth Grade
Charlize Theron, Tully

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Adam Driver, BlackKklansman
Sam Elliott, A Star is Born
Michael B. Jordan, Black Panther

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Amy Adams, Vice
Claire Foy, First Man

BEST SCREENPLAY
BlackKklansman
The Favourite
Vice
Widows

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
Burning
Capernaum
Cold War
Roma
Shoplifters

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
The Grinch
Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
"Girl in the Movies," Dumplin'
"The Place Where Lost Things Go," Mary Poppins Returns
"Shallow," A Star is Born
"Trip a Little Light Fantastic," Mary Poppins Returns
"Wrapped Up," Vox Lux

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Black Panther
First Man
Isle of Dogs
Mary Poppins Returns
anonymous1980
Laureate

Golden Globe Awards

Post by anonymous1980 »

Predictions!

BEST MOTION PICTURE - DRAMA
BlacKkKlansman
First Man
A Star Is Born
A Quiet Place

BEST MOTION PICTURE - MUSICAL or COMEDY
Crazy Rich Asians
The Favourite
Green Book
Mary Poppins Returns
Vice

BEST ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE - DRAMA
Ryan Gosling, First Man
Ethan Hawke, First Reformed
John David Washington, BlacKkKlansman

BEST ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE - DRAMA
Emily Blunt, A Quiet Place
Glenn Close, The Wife
Viola Davis, Widows
Lady Gaga, A Star Is Born
Nicole Kidman, Destroyer

BEST ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE - MUSICAL or COMEDY
Christian Bale, Vice
Robert Redford, The Old Man and The Gun
Lakeith Stanfield, Sorry to Bother You

BEST ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE - MUSICAL or COMEDY

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE
Timothee Chalamet, Boy Erased
Adam Driver, BlacKkKlansman
Sam Elliott, A Star Is Born
Jonathan Pryce, The Wife

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE
Amy Adams, Vice
Claire Foy, First Man
Nicole Kidman, Boy Erased
Michelle Yeoh, Crazy Rich Asians

BEST DIRECTOR FOR A MOTION PICTURE
Damien Chazelle, First Man
Alfonso Cuaron, Roma
Yorgos Lanthimos, The Favourite