New York Film Critics Circle Awards

For the films of 2018
nightwingnova
Assistant

Re: New York Film Critics Circle Awards

Post by nightwingnova »

Much appreciate these.

Wish that whoever leaked this would have used a reputable source, such as an entertainment blogger, so that we could place trust in them.

On the other hand, there is much alignment between the National Society of Film Critics and the NYFCC. So in a month, we can judge whether these leaks should be trusted.

Precious Doll wrote:Some on Golddery is claiming that the runner-ups were published on Wikipedia and have since been deleted. I'll take it with a grain of salt but the supposed runner ups were:

Actor: Brady Jandreau, The Rider
Actress: Lady GaGa, A Star is Born (which does explain Regina King's win with all the critics who simply did not want Gaga to win come up with an out-of-left field alternative - I'd do the same thing to be frank)
Sup. Actor: Steven Yeun, Burning
Sup. Actress: Olivia Colman, The Favourite
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The runners-up are either still listed on the Wikipedia page or were reinstated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_New_ ... cle_Awards
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

https://www.goldderby.com/forum/movies/ ... 6/page/28/

There is a comment on page 29 that anyone can update Wikipedia which is exactly why I take these with a grain of salt but at the same time one could imagine these being the NY runner ups.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Would you mind pointing me to the discussion on GoldDerby? I'm having trouble finding it.

Much thanks for the update!

Precious Doll wrote:Some on Golddery is claiming that the runner-ups were published on Wikipedia and have since been deleted. I'll take it with a grain of salt but the supposed runner ups were:

Actress: Lady GaGa, A Star is Born (which does explain Regina King's win with all the critics who simply did not want Gaga to win come up with an out-of-left field alternative - I'd do the same thing to be frank)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Some on Golddery is claiming that the runner-ups were published on Wikipedia and have since been deleted. I'll take it with a grain of salt but the supposed runner ups were:

"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Regina Hall was the first black actress to ever win Best Actress from the NYFCC in their 83-year history.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Usually, 24 hours later, it is unlikely to hear much more about the runners-up. So, it appears we will get nothing this year.

On the other hand, the National Society of Film Critics tends to track the NYFCC and it will release its vote totals. Unfortunately, we won't see those until early January.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

1) I think people are way over-estimating the effect of the new/hip voters. Last year, they chose the same four acting winners as Globes/SAG/Broadcasters/BAFTA, none of whom did anything to diversify/youth-ify their membership. (Not surprising: all the additions still only amount to marginal -- 10-15% -- changes.) Until these new invites start showing impact on the results, I'm going to assume the Academy standard. (And don't try and convince me Moonlight/best picture was some revolution. Moonlight was very popular with Hollywood in general -- it beat Manchester by the Sea at the Writers' Guild, and had done better than Spotlight going into the final envelope.)

2) It's true Glenn Close is more a cause celebre for people over 50 than for younger folk, but that was also true of winners like Geraldine Page and even Shirley MacLaine. Outside of the execrable Turning Point, MacLaine hadn't been in a mainstream popular movie for many years when Terms of Endearment came along, and seemed hopelessly passe. (I remember a friend, seeing an ad for the movie, said, "God, that's how far Jack Nicholson has fallen: he's doing movies with Shirley MacLaine.") And Jessica Tandy had barely done movies before Driving Miss Daisy. She was still famous. Glenn Close, with six nominations, multiple Tonys and Emmys, is easily famous enough for a career award.

3) Which isn't to say I think she'll win. I'm on record as saying I don't think it's enough of a career highlight to make her an obvious choice (which was the case with MacLaine and Tandy, and was at least arguable with Page and Moore). But, like Page and Moore, she has the advantage of a murky field. It's early in the prize process, but I don't see a solid front-runner emerging. Colman is wonderful, but I think many (like me) will view her as supporting. Gaga is an interloper from another arena, and voters can be reluctant to honor that (ask Madonna and Courtney Love). Melissa McCarty DOES have an excellent prize profile, but her movie is sputtering commercially. Viola Davis just won, and her film's been a box-office letdown. Ronan's movie is yet to be seen, but it's striking the Satellites nominated Robbie but not her, even with so many slots. It's possible Close can win a bunch of those podunk critics' groups (since they're mostly part of the blogger universe), and the Broadcasters, sold on the narrative, will choose her and push her in a self-fulfilling prophecy sort of way.

Or not. I can truly see this going either Sabin's way ("it was just blogger fantasy, with no empirical evidence") or Magilla's ("lacking a obvious choice, voters bestow the career prize"). Wide open right now.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

What Oscar voters like the most is a good backstory. Sometimes that means awarding a performance or a film in a category that hasn't been honored much or at all. Sometimes it means going along with the individual who wins the most precursors.

When there is no favorite, other factors emerge, especially in the acting categories.

Regina Hall, the surprise winner here, has immense appeal. She's a longtime actress with virtually no previous recognition who could appeal to all those struggling actors and actresses who hope to be in her shoes at some point in their career. That type of performer, though, would be a natural for SAG, not necessarily the Academy.

Olivia Colman is a respected character actress who is once again playing a character role in an ensemble piece. As has been said, were she nominated in support she would own the award but elevated to lead she's got a tough uphill battle.

Melissa McCarthy astounded many with her dark comic/dramatic performance this year but she is still basically regarded as a comedienne whose raunchy comedies rub a lot of people the wrong way.

Lady Gaga was considered a front-runner with her first nomination for best song, a category she is likely to win this year, most voters will likely consider that honor enough for a first-time movie star.

Emily Blunt could at long last receive her first nomination for playing Julie Andrews playing Mary Poppins. If so, the nomination will likely be seen as honor enough.

Glenn Close, on the other hand, is someone many think should have won in 1982, 1987 or 1988 and is long overdue, never mind her vehicle isn't all that great. They (the Academy members, both young and old) think she herself is and is unlikely to get another chance unlike Saoirse Ronan, Amy Adams and other younger actresses who are still getting good roles. She has to be the presumptive favorite if the precursors continue to go in all directions.
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

OscarGuy wrote:I think you're dismissing young Hollywood too much. This is the group that awarded Best Picture to Moonlight over La La Land.
I don't see the connection. Moonlight was something new: a new story, new voice and mostly new faces. I don't want to run this into the ground, but Glenn Close is your mom's favorite actress, and The Wife looks and sounds like homework. She's not the icon Meryl Streep is or a constant (but not unwelcome) presence like Julianne Moore is. (Whatever your age, Julianne Moore has been in at least one movie you really, really like.)
Why not Saoirse Ronan who would be on her fourth nomination and would have that fiery performance the Academy loves more. What other young actress has pulled in that many nominations so young?
Only Jennifer Lawrence.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think you're dismissing young Hollywood too much. This is the group that awarded Best Picture to Moonlight over La La Land. They aren't exactly anti-mature, anti-heady themes. Also, if you've ever listened to SOME young Hollywood types talk, they revere the older works and actors, so I don't think her famousness is a detriment. She's been working steadily for years, so she's always out there. Plus, she's already been turned into a meme from her Best Actress round table where she seems to be glaring at Lady Gaga.

That said, I'm still not convinced that Close will even be nominated. It's the understated nature of her role, not her stature, that I think the Academy will more easily ignore. Plus, the rumor of her doing Sunset Boulevard on the big screen is still out there, so if she can pull that off, THEN I think she will win the Oscar guaranteed. Right now, she faces fierce competition from actors in bigger roles. I think even Olivia Colman and Lady Gaga stand a better chance, especially if other groups follow the NBR mindset.

You guys were asking for who would be considered "due" other than she? Why not Saoirse Ronan who would be on her fourth nomination and would have that fiery performance the Academy loves more. What other young actress has pulled in that many nominations so young? Sure, she missed the Satellite nominations, but they didn't seem to love Mary Queen of Scots, so who knows.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

FilmFan720 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:From Regina Hall's Wikipedia entry:

In 2010, at age 40, Hall unsuccessfully tried to become a nun after a bad break-up. Hall had previously wanted to become a nun at the age of 14. She was refused for being too old, as the cut off age is 39.
Guess we know who Damien would have been rooting hard for this season
The nun and the Hawke. Damien would have been in his element.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Precious Doll wrote:
Though to be fair to Streep, The Iron Lady would have been insufferable with her.
It was insufferable regardless. Truly.
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

Sabin wrote:She was nominated for Albert Nobbs. If I was quizzed on every acting nomination of this decade, the one that I would 100% forget would be that one.
You forgot to forget about Janet McTeer’s nomination. Her second!
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

They are all very good points Sabin.

Just one point, some would view Susan Sarandon's win for Dead Man Walking as a 'career Oscar'. Personally I don't because I thought she was a worthy winner and truth be told I felt that way about Moore's win as well.

I think the talk of a Glenn Close win dropped when Albert Knobbs opened and tanked at the box office. It then became at Viola Davis vs. Meryl Streep race and the result indicates that the Academy wanted to give Streeps a third win (her first win in nearly 40 years) over a respected black character actress who appeared in a better received film (box office and critically) than The Iron Lady was. Though to be fair to Streep, The Iron Lady would have been insufferable with her presence.

The whole Glenn Close thing is going to be very interesting to watch unfold this year. I also think Olivia Colman failing to win here has given her Oscar chances a severe blow. She needed New York and to build momentum from that. If she doesn't win L.A. she needs The Favourite to become something of a juggernaut at the box office otherwise its all over for Colman having any chance of an Oscar win.

Return to “91st Academy Awards”