New York Film Critics Circle Awards

For the films of 2018
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: New York Film Critics Circle Awards

Post by Precious Doll »

It's interesting that in the entire history of the Oscars that only once have three leading performances been nominated from the same film which was Charles Laughton, Clark Gable & Franchot Tone in Mutiny on the Bounty. And of course the supporting category didn't exist then. I haven't seen MONB in decades but would Tone be considered supporting?

Having not seen The Favourite, apart from the trailer a couple of time at the cinema (and my does it look delicious) I can't comment on the placement of the actresses. But back in 1986 Diane Keaton, Jessica Lange & Sissy Spacek were all placed in consideration for lead for Crimes of the Heart and rightfully so. Likewise if The First Wives Club had been a potential player in the acting categories for 1996 there is no way that Goldie Hawn, Diane Keaton or Better Midler would be considered anything but co-leads.

At least the major critics awards tend to get it right far more often than the Oscars.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I felt like an initial argument that I seem to remember hearing, promoting Emma Stone as the lead was, if not ideal (I agree with BJ that the film is a three-lead one), was at least supported by some attempts at a rationale. Stone’s character has, I’m pretty sure, the most screentime, Weisz disappears for a small bit, and Colman - while the clear stand-out and central by the very nature of her character - seems like she’s missing while the two Favourites are sparring.

It would be interesting to see if the Academy nominates any of the actresses in categories for which the studios have not been promoting them. Something like Kate Winslet’s The Reader placement.
Last edited by flipp525 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Mister Tee wrote:Are we sure the critics will fall in line for classifying Olivia Colman as lead, simply because that's how the studio opted to campaign? As I understand it, there's genuine debate about where she belongs, and if (as I'm predicting) the critics have another choice in lead, might they give her the consolation prize in support?
I'm finding the lead/support debate with respect to The Favourite quite challenging to take a position on myself. Much of this has to do with the fact that I'm generally inclined to give more leeway about supporting placements in 3-lead films, but also because The Favourite seems to be the rare movie where none of the three major players could really be slotted above another. (In a case like No Country for Old Men, for instance, Brolin is so obviously the protagonist it's a bit easier to say he's the lead, Bardem and Jones are supporting.) The way I see it, either The Favourite is a movie with three lead actresses (a solid argument, given that the cast isn't that big) or no one's a lead (a case I wouldn't outright dismiss either, given that the film lacks a central character). The current reasoning (Colman in lead, Stone & Weisz in supporting) seems to me mostly based on the fact that Colman's performance is so obviously the standout (which I guess is another argument one could make), not that the part is appreciably bigger.

Of course, movies are made to be movies, not award vehicles, and this seems to be a case where it's just tough to fit a film's actresses into the rigid awards classifications we've created for ourselves.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

A couple of things at the top:

Are we sure the critics will fall in line for classifying Olivia Colman as lead, simply because that's how the studio opted to campaign? As I understand it, there's genuine debate about where she belongs, and if (as I'm predicting) the critics have another choice in lead, might they give her the consolation prize in support? (Long, long ago, they did that for Karen Black in Five Easy Pieces -- after she lost lead to Glenda Jackson, she won supporting by a wide margin.)

Are critics reluctant to do repeats of recent-ish winners? Willem Dafoe would seem to me a hot prospect for lead actor, but for the fact he swept the boards just last year. And even Armando Ianucci might be downgraded in screenplay because he won the prize for In the Loop.

As to Sabin's Follow-the-Gleiberman theory: Here are the best film winners this decade with Metacritic scores:

The Social Network 95
The Artist 89
Zero Dark Thirty 95
American Hustle 90*
Boyhood 100
Carol 95
La La Land 93
Lady Bird 94

* I seem to remember the film having a number more like 93-94 back in 2013. Given the online backlash to the film, it may be it's been subjected to post-facto downward revision. Plus, both it and The Artist look less good in the context of today's inflated standards -- the addition of a significant number of Internet bloggers and critics in the past few years seem to many of us to have altered the meaning of score thresholds.

All of which is driving at this: A Star is Born's 88, while impressive on its own, doesn't seem to elevate it into this company. So, I'm dubious.

Anyway, my picks, as usual with multiple alternates:

Film: Roma
(The Favourite, Vice)
Actor: Christian Bale (Vice)
(Willem Dafoe (At Eternity's Gate), Ethan Hawke (First Reformed))
Actress: Yalitza Aparicio (Roma)
(Olivia Colman (The Favourite), Melissa McCarthy (Can You Ever Forgive Me?))
Sup. Actor: Richard E. Grant (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)
(Sam Elliott (A Star is Born), Adam Driver (BlackkKlansman))
Sup. Actress: Regina King (If Beale Street Could Talk)
(Amy Adams (Vice), Elizabeth Debicki (Widows))
Director: Alfonso Cuaron (Roma)
(Barry Jenkins (If Beale Street Could Talk), Yorgos Lanthimos (The Favourite))
Screenplay: The Favourite
(If Beale Street Could Talk, The Death of Stalin)
Cinematography: Roma
(Cold War, First Man)
Foreign-Language Film: Shoplifters
(Cold War, Capernaum)
Non-Fiction Film: Three Identical Strangers
(Won't You Be My Neighbor?, RBG)
Animated Film: Isle of Dogs
(Mirai, Incredibles 2)
First Film: Eighth Grade
(Sorry to Bother You, Hereditary)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I've trying to parse into words what movies that NYFCC tends to honor these days as best of the year and then I realized something: for the past three years, Owen Gleiberman's favorite movie of the year was honored as Best Film by NYFCC. That's about right. Before 2015, their favorite movie of the year will usually be on his list somewhere but The Gleib is a pretty good indicator of where their head is at these days. Owen Gleiberman's favorite movie of the year is clearly A Star is Born. One would imagine that there's no way they could give that film Best Picture... except they basically did back in 2013 for American Hustle. And they certainly gave it to La La Land over Moonlight.

Best Picture: A Star is Born
Best Foreign-Language Film: Cold War
Best Actor: Ethan Hawke, First Reformed
Best Actress: Lady Gaga, A Star is Born
Best Supporting Actor: Richard E. Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Best Supporting Actress: Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk
Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron, Roma
Best Screenplay: Paul Schrader, First Reformed
Best Cinematography: Alfonso Cuaron, Roma
Best Animated Film: Isle of Dogs
Best Non-Fiction Film (Documentary): Won't You Be My Neighbor?
Best First Film: Bo Burnham, Eighth Grade
Last edited by Sabin on Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How's the despair?"
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

anonymous1980 wrote:Predictions!

Best Picture: Roma
Best Screenplay: Boots Riley, Sorry to Bother You
Best Actress: Olivia Colman, The Favourite
Best Supporting Actor: Adam Driver, BlacKkKlansman
Best Cinematographer: Alfonso Cuaron, Roma
Best Foreign Language Film: Burning
Anonymous - we are in sync with most of our predictions. I'll really be shocked if these acting predictions don't come to fruition.

Best Picture: The Favourite
Best Screenplay: First Reformed
Best Foreign Language Film: Roma
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Predictions!

Best Picture: Roma
Best Screenplay: Boots Riley, Sorry to Bother You
Best Foreign Language Film: Burning
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

That's correct. NBR is next Tuesday, the 27th. NYFC and the Satellite nominations are Thursday the 29th. LAFC is unconfirmed for Sunday December 2nd. The Globe nominations are Thursday December 6th. Award Season is upon us.

For a complete list go here:

http://www.cinemasight.com/91st-oscars- ... ore-119608
nightwingnova
Assistant

New York Film Critics Circle Awards

Post by nightwingnova »

Wikipedia lists Thursday, November 29, but without a source, as the date of the announcement of the 2018 awards.

Return to “91st Academy Awards”