Cats reviews

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Re: Cats reviews

Post by FilmFan720 »

I saw this today. I’m a big fan of the stage production, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. If you don’t like Cats, the movie is not in any way going to sway you. If you do like Cats, the film captures much of what is there to love about the show. Something this theatrical probably should never have been filmed, but a very game cast gives their all, the choreography is excellent, and there are enough good ideas to balance out the bad ones. It’s not a masterpiece, but also not the disaster everyone has made it out to be.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Not to kick a Cat while it's down, but Universal has pulled this from their FYC website.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

$6.5 million opening weekend, C+ Cinemascore, so it's unlikely to have Greatest Showman-like legs to carry it through the Holidays and into January. If you want to see it, see it soon.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I'll probably see it over the break. A friend and I want to see it for the laughs, and his wife wants to actually see it.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

danfrank wrote:First one on this board brave enough to see it wins a prize. I'm placing my bets on Anonymous, who sees everything.
I’m taking several exited fourth graders over break!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

danfrank wrote:First one on this board brave enough to see it wins a prize. I'm placing my bets on Anonymous, who sees everything.
I'll be seeing it.

But it may be a while since it won't be out in my country until next month. So I don't know if I'll be the first one here to see it.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'll probably watch it, not sure when, but...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

First one on this board brave enough to see it wins a prize. I'm placing my bets on Anonymous, who sees everything.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Sounds like we finally have this generation's Ishtar. I'm sure Armond White will absolutely love it.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

My critic buddy saw The Rise of Skywalker and Cats in the same day. He said Cats is substantially worse but in a way he liked it more. While The Rise of Skywalker works overtime to correct course to the point where it is a sweaty mess that’s almost embarrassed of itself, Cats is unabashed nightmare fuel from beginning to end. Studios do everything in their power to prevent shit like this from happening.
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Guy Lodge on Twitter:
I don't really know what to say about CATS at this early stage, since a perfectly credible reaction like "it's one of the worst pieces of art I've ever witnessed" can only sound like empty hyperbole. Maybe I should just wait a few months....Anyway, there are going to be a million "most insane things about CATS" listicles hitting the internet, and they'll almost all be accurate, but you should see it for yourself if you're remotely curious: a big studio swing-and-a-miss on this scale doesn't come along that often.It's hard to credit the size of the swing given the size of the miss, but I do believe it's going to remain a landmark of sorts, and a kind of grotesque anomaly: no other film will ever look quite like this one. If you're not curious, stay far away: it's everything you think.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Hollywood Reporter is pretty catty him or herself.

Another example of younger reviewers showing their ignorance - Betty Buckley was not the "original" Grizabella, that was Elaine Paige on the concept album followed by the London version. Buckley was the first to play the role on Broadway.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Cats reviews

Post by Mister Tee »

Posting for history. There's probably a little Gigli-like piling on here, but it's still delicious.

Luckiest film: The Rise of Skywalker, which got an ouch-worthy 53 on Metacritic today -- and is by far the best-reviewed film of the day.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/revie ... ew-1263550

https://variety.com/2019/film/reviews/c ... 203447544/

Return to “2019”