The 2018 Peter Travers Top 10 List Contest!

MaxWilder
Graduate

Re: The 2018 Peter Travers Top 10 List Contest!

Post by MaxWilder »

FilmFan720 wrote:1. Roma
2. A Star is Born
3. Black Panther
4. The Favourite
5. Widows
6. If Beale Street Could Talk
7. First Reformed
8. BlackKklansman
9. Shoplifters
10. Won't You Be My Neighbor and RBG (tie)
Whoa! Damn close.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

1. Roma
2. A Star is Born
3. Black Panther
4. The Favourite
5. Widows
6. If Beale Street Could Talk
7. First Reformed
8. BlackKklansman
9. Shoplifters
10. Won't You Be My Neighbor and RBG (tie)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I'll kick it off with my entry:

01. A Star is Born
02. The Favourite
03. Roma
04. First Man
05. BlacKkKlansman
06. Green Book
07. Widows
08. If Beale Street Could Talk
09. Black Panther
10. Can You Ever Forgive Me?
anonymous1980
Laureate

The 2018 Peter Travers Top 10 List Contest!

Post by anonymous1980 »

I'll post this since Peter Travers has been releasing his Top 10 lists earlier in the year.

"The Peter Travers contest, which I started here I think 10 years ago, is really a statement disguised as a contest. The statement is, Peter Travers of Rolling Stone magazine is the most unoriginal, unidiosyncratic, yet highly dependable film critic around, both in his writing style - it's not for nothing that he's "the most blurbed film critic", according to Wiki - and in his taste in films. He slightly defies convention by positioning his tastes moderately left-of-center, very much like a white, college-age male just discovering "cool" movies would. That's not a bad starting point, but Travers has never opened his tastes up from there. And what better way to expose his predictibility than to build a contest around it?" - Sonic Youth.

a). One (1) point is awarded for correctly guessing which films will be on his top ten list.

b). One (1) additional point is awarded for accurately guessing precisely where on the list a film will end up. (Total: two (2) points.)

c). One (1) more additional point is awarded for accurately guessing the number one film of the year. (Total: three (3) points)

d). Three (3) bonus points for accurately predicting which movies will result in a tie, if any. Remember, there may or may not be a tie this year. Travers is one of those critics that likes to put ties in his lists, so you may want to take that under consideration. That said, not every yearly list has ties, so predict at your own risk. (Accurately predicting that there will be no tie gets you zero (0) points. Nice try, but no.)

e). One (1) point is docked for every inaccurately predicted tie. This is to discourage contestants from predicting too many ties.

f). The poll is officially closed when his list is released, and it's authenticity has been verified to my satisfaction.

g). Anyone caught revising his or her list after Travers releases his list will be disqualified.

h). In the event of a first place tie, the completely arbitrary solution is: whoever has guessed more higher-ranking movies on the list wins. If there is still a tie, then the winners will agree to share the honor with grace and humility.

i). Sonic Youth and anonymous1980 are not prohibited from winning their own contest.

Return to “2018”