Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: On the Basis of Sex reviews

Post by Precious Doll »

A so-so review from THR:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/revie ... ew-1159722

Don't know what Variety thinks (I couldn't be bothered reading the review):

https://variety.com/2018/film/reviews/o ... 203021559/

I hope it didn't cost too much to make because beyond the borders of the U.S. there is/will be very little interest in this. Sounds strictly for the U.S. market.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
The Original BJ
Emeritus

On the Basis of Sex reviews

Post by The Original BJ »

Given how late this one was being held, I feared it would be a big turkey, but it's more or less about at the level of something like Marshall. Which is to say, it's not any work of great depth -- who should I root for, sassy Ruth Bader Ginbsurg or the crusty old dudes lamenting gender equality will bring the breakdown of the social order? -- but it's a likable and engaging enough history piece. It's also got a good-humored sensibility to it, which helps it from slipping into too-cornball territory. (Jones's response to Waterston's comment about how she's putting her Harvard education to good use brought down the house.) And perhaps the leg up it has on Marshall is the fact that it covers a series of cases that WERE pretty significant in recent American history -- no one would argue that the film covers minor ground in the RBG story.

I'll also acknowledge that I've never liked Felicity Jones more than in this movie. She doesn't quite overcome the fact that she's obviously miscast for the role, but she acquits herself about as well as one could hope (the Brooklyn accent feels effortless), and has a charming presence throughout, with a commanding final courtroom sequence. Not saying she's suddenly become a favorite of mine, but for once I didn't think she was a total empty vessel. And Armie Hammer is pleasantly appealing in what you might call the Walter Pidgeon role.

Oh, and the ending of the movie takes Mister Tee's here's-what-the-real-people-look-like annoyance to almost ludicrous lengths.

Return to “2018”