Destroyer reviews

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: Destroyer reviews

Post by Precious Doll »

flipp525 wrote:Precious Doll, I obviously haven’t seen Destroyer so I can’t personally describe what her performance is like. I was just sending word from a friend of mine who actually has seen the film and says that her performance is phenomenal and next-level. I’m passing along substantiated audience reaction to help inform our early predictions. He was using the Monster comparison to describe Kidman’s physical transformation, not the content of the performance.

Going back into exile again now.
Flipp, sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean too. My comment about mugging was aimed at those Theron/Monster comparisons which a number of critics have made and which I hope don't turn out to be the case for me when I ever get to view the film. To be honest this sounds more promising than Monster and whilst I'm no fan of Kidman I'll take her any day over Theron. Having only seen stills of Kidman I don't see the level of 'transformation' beyond hairstyle and weathered skin. By all accounts Kidman gives a performance unlike anything she has done before.

Just hope its not a repeat of Theron/Monster or Oldman/Darkest Hour type of work and is in fact something more ethereal.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Precious Doll, I obviously haven’t seen Destroyer so I can’t personally describe what her performance is like. I was just sending word from a friend of mine who actually has seen the film and says that her performance is phenomenal and next-level. I’m passing along substantiated audience reaction to help inform our early predictions. He was using the Monster comparison to describe Kidman’s physical transformation, not the content of the performance.

Going back into exile again now.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

flipp525 wrote:My out-there, yet educated guess for now is that Nicole Kidman gets a lead nod for Destroyer and a supporting nod for Boy Erased. A friend of mine saw Destroyer in Telluride and said that Kidman is extraordinary, Theron in Monster level of transformation. We are in a Kidmanassaince.
So Kidman muggs her way through Destroyer?

I can't stand Theron's performance in Monster and she was nothing like Aileen Wuornos, at least of what I've seen of Wuornos in the Nick Broomfield films. I'm sick to death of all these actors getting lauded for wearing a ton of make-up and generally hamming or mugging it to the hilt.

Destroyer appears to be paralysing critics to some extent and the reviews for Boy Erased are respectable but unremarkable. Still Kidman will work her arse off to score Oscar nominations for both films.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

My out-there, yet educated guess for now is that Nicole Kidman gets a lead nod for Destroyer and a supporting nod for Boy Erased. A friend of mine saw Destroyer in Telluride and said that Kidman is extraordinary, Theron in Monster level of transformation. We are in a Kidmanassaince.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Destroyer reviews

Post by Mister Tee »

Return to “2018”