The Official Review Thread of 2018

anonymous1980
Laureate

Re: The Official Review Thread of 2018

Postby anonymous1980 » Sun May 06, 2018 10:50 am

THE CLOVERFIELD PARADOX
Cast: Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Daniel Bruhl, David Oyelowo, Elizabeth Debicki, Chris O'Dowd, Zhang Ziyi, John Ortiz, Aksel Hennie, Roger Davies.
Dir: Julius Onah.

Yes, I know. I'm late to the party. Finally caught up with this on Netflix (I paid for it, so why the hell not?) There's a major energy crisis on Earth and a group of scientists are sent up into space because apparently wind and solar power does not exist in this world despite the fact that they figured how to do artificial gravity that can withstand a lot of damage. And somehow in their quest, it opens up a rift in the time-space continuum causing clashing of alternate realities. Yes, it doesn't make a nick of sense and it's a mess. Worse yet, it wastes a fine ensemble of actors who are way, way, way better than this. It does manage to be somewhat entertaining for how awful and unbelievable it is.

Oscar Prospects: None.

Grade: D+

anonymous1980
Laureate

Postby anonymous1980 » Sat May 05, 2018 11:01 am

BLOCKERS
Cast: Leslie Mann, John Cena, Ike Barinholtz, Kathryn Newton, Gideon Adlon, Geraldine Viswanathan, June Diane Raphael, Gary Cole, Hannibal Burress, Gina Gershon, Graham Phillips, Miles Robbins, Jimmy Bellinger, Colton Dunn.
Dir: Kay Cannon.

When three parents find out their daughters have a pact to lose their virginities on prom night, they go out and try to stop it. When I first saw the trailer, I thought, "Eww, do we really need that movie?" but then the reviews came out and it's not what one fears at all. It kind of takes the teens-going-out-to-get-laid comedy sub-genre but from largely the point of view of the worried parents. The result is quite funny and an often refreshing take on the genre. One scene in particular is hilarious (you'll know it when you see it). The film also largely avoids potential missteps in its handling of its themes and it's also surprisingly sweet. The entire cast is great. It's no masterpiece but it's a pretty solid comedy for its genre.

Oscar Prospects: None.

Grade: B+

Precious Doll
Tenured

Postby Precious Doll » Wed May 02, 2018 5:40 am

Sabin wrote:It's television. That's basically it. If you like the show, you're entertained. But don't call it a film.

There was an article in The Guardian today that basically said that. Essentially these super-hero 'films' are just on-going episodes of a superhero TV saga.
"I have no interest in all of that. I find that all tabloid stupidity" Woody Allen, The Guardian, 2014, in response to his adopted daughter's allegations.

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Wed May 02, 2018 4:25 am

It's television. That's basically it. If you like the show, you're entertained. But don't call it a film.
"If you are marching with white nationalists, you are by definition not a very nice person. If Malala Yousafzai had taken part in that rally, you'd have to say 'Okay, I guess Malala sucks now.'" ~ John Oliver

Reza
Tenured Laureate

Postby Reza » Tue May 01, 2018 10:04 pm

Mister Tee wrote:
Precious Doll wrote: Only hope it doesn't score a technical Oscar nomination next year....

Bank on it getting a visual effects nomination, and all of us holdouts grudgingly watching it sometime next winter.

I think all of you holdouts will be rewarded early next year. The effects are pretty cheesy.

anonymous1980
Laureate

Postby anonymous1980 » Tue May 01, 2018 6:40 am

LOVE, SIMON
Cast: Nick Robinson, Katherine Langford, Jennifer Garner, Josh Duhamel, Alexandra Shipp, Logan Miller, Jorge Lendeborg Jr., Tony Hale, Keiynan Lonsdale, Talitha Bateman, Natasha Rothwell, Miles Heizer, Joey Pollari.
Dir: Greg Berlanti.

Simon is just your typical average middle-class 17 year old high school student...except for the fact that he is gay. In many ways, this film is far from groundbreaking. We have seen mainstream Hollywood films do teen coming-of-age high school dramedies before. We've seen lots of independent films and foreign films deal with LGBT coming out stories before. We've never seen the two cross, however. A teen coming-of-age high school dramedy about a gay teen coming out released by a major studio is something that surprisingly has never happened. For that alone, I applaud this film. And it also happens to be really, really good. It's like if John Hughes made a gay teen movie...and it was, you know, actually GOOD (yeah, I said it and I will say it again). It's sweet and from the heart. Yes, it may seem slight and mundane to some but it's a start. Highly recommended, no matter what your sexuality may be.

Oscar Prospects: Eh, maybe Adapted Screenplay if the category is empty like this year.

Grade: B+

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:11 pm

Precious Doll wrote: Only hope it doesn't score a technical Oscar nomination next year....

Bank on it getting a visual effects nomination, and all of us holdouts grudgingly watching it sometime next winter.

Precious Doll
Tenured

Postby Precious Doll » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:54 am

Well, $630 million worth of ticket sales worldwide in 5 days can't be wrong. Or can they be?

Anyway a free ticket wouldn't get me to watch this. I only ever saw the trailer once and thought it looked more of the same. Only hope it doesn't score a technical Oscar nomination next year....
"I have no interest in all of that. I find that all tabloid stupidity" Woody Allen, The Guardian, 2014, in response to his adopted daughter's allegations.

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Postby OscarGuy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:23 pm

Good in parts, but a bloated mess it still was. It was also a massive cheat. Marvel fans should be cheated.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

anonymous1980
Laureate

Postby anonymous1980 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:46 am

They've been setting up and teasing this story line since at least the first Avengers way back in 2012 so I would've been surprised if they just offed Thanos in one movie. I knew going in this was going to be a two-parter. What I didn't expect was how they're going to do it.

Greg
Tenured

Postby Greg » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:58 pm

Titanic is over three hours, although they did not postpone the ship sinking for Titanic II: The Water Edition.

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Postby The Original BJ » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:06 pm

Mister Tee wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:But of course, it is 100% my own fault for putting myself through this interminable THREE HOURS when I obviously know better by now!

Three hours??????? This is getting to punishment level.

Technically, 2 hours and 40 minutes... and it's still only part one of an essentially two-part story!

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:35 pm

The Original BJ wrote:But of course, it is 100% my own fault for putting myself through this interminable THREE HOURS when I obviously know better by now!

Three hours??????? This is getting to punishment level.

Greg
Tenured

Postby Greg » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:05 pm

At least with the three-hour run time, they were able to make more use of its $300million+ budget.

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Postby The Original BJ » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:25 pm

anonymous1980 wrote:When I first heard of this, I was concerned that it was gonna be an overlong, bloated mess with all those dozens of characters

I was very concerned about this before, during, and after I was watching it. (Surprise!)

anonymous1980 wrote:One thing I would give credit for this one is the ballsy ending. Wow, they must really trust the audience enough to be able to pull off an ending like that.

I'm not sure we should launch a full discussion about this, simply because to do so gets into super spoilerific territory... but I found the ending completely groan-worthy. I keep hearing comments like this -- that it's super risky, that it requires so much of the audience -- but I can't wrap my head around that sentiment in the least. The ending for me exemplifies exactly what Mister Tee wrote about these movies in the Black Panther thread -- that they just don't have that much emotional impact -- and I was almost actively annoyed the film was asking me to be moved by [REDACTED EVENTS THAT HAPPEN AT END OF MOVIE] when we all know that in a couple movies from now [REDACTED EVENTS THAT WILL UNQUESTIONABLY HAPPEN A FEW MOVIES FROM NOW].

But of course, it is 100% my own fault for putting myself through this interminable THREE HOURS when I obviously know better by now!

Return to “2018”