2018 Sundance Winners

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Re: 2018 Sundance Winners

Post by The Original BJ »

Precious Doll wrote:Very happy for Desiree Akhavan winning the Jury Prize for The Miseducation of Cameron Post. It sounds terrific and her first film, Appropriate Behaviour (2014) is a small gem that showed great potential.
I agree with you that Appropriate Behavior was a real find -- laugh out loud funny, quite touching, and featuring a great central character. I'm looking forward to this filmmaker's next work, now even moreso after this prize.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

2018 Sundance Winners

Post by Precious Doll »

Don't know if anyone has been keeping tabs on the Sundance screening but the festival is over and these are the winners:

http://deadline.com/2018/01/sundance-fi ... 202268030/

Some of these films will of course get some buzz and make their way to Oscar nominations. Others will disappear into obscurity.

Can't say that many of the films screened interested me. I've been keeping an eye out and noting films in my diary to look out for and that number stands at 8. No doubt that will increase once I get the March/April edition of Film Comment to wet my appetite for some addition films.

Very happy for Desiree Akhavan winning the Jury Prize for The Miseducation of Cameron Post. It sounds terrific and her first film, Appropriate Behaviour (2014) is a small gem that showed great potential. The subject matter of TMoCP sounds like another film coming out later in the year called Boy Erased which some bloggers are already touting as 'Oscar material'. Will be interesting to see how these two similarly themed films pan out

At the other end of the spectrum I am utterly dismayed (yes, without seeing it) that Sara Colangelo won best director for The Kindergarten Teacher, which she also 'wrote' or rather adapted (or ripped off take your pick) from a 2014 Israeli film of the same name that was perfectly fine and didn't need to be 'reimaged'. I suppose if an English language remake helps to people to seek out the original that's a good thing. And no doubt director/writer of the original, Nadav Lapid, got well aid and hopefully will make a zillion dollars of the U.S. remake but I'm sick to death of these pointless remakes and sequels. Funnily enough Nadav Lapid isn't credited on imdb as original story but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they update their site. And whilst speaking Nadav Lapid I should also mention an earlier film of his Policeman, which is also worth taking a look out. Perhaps Sara Colangelo can 'remake' that - easier that coming up with her own original ideas.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “2018”