The 2017 Peter Travers Top 10 List Contest!

Okri
Tenured

Re: The 2017 Peter Travers Top 10 List Contest!

Post by Okri »

a) Yay me!

b) Full disclosure: I didn't know he referred to Three Billboards as the year's best.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Yeah, that's not worse. If anything, it's great. It implies that even for the most prominent film critics, film viewing is an ever-evolving experience. Look at Owen Gleiberman's best of the 2000's list and how he had Moulin Rouge! and Gladiator on there. His defense was "Yeah, these movies were better than I thought?" What's wrong with something being better than you thought?
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Greg wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Assuming the list is correct, it's extremely hypocritical in that the film he declared the best film of the year in his review came in fourth behind three films he saw earlier.
Gene Siskel once did something worse than this. Sid And Nancy made his top-ten list for the decade of the 1980s after it failed to make his top-ten list for 1986, the year it was released. Although, I guess the passage of a few years excuses a larger change of opinion.
How is that worse?

He changed his mind after reviewing the entire decade. What Travers did was change his mind just after proclaiming the newer film the best of the year in his late year review. Either that or he lied in his Three Billboards review.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Big Magilla wrote:Assuming the list is correct, it's extremely hypocritical in that the film he declared the best film of the year in his review came in fourth behind three films he saw earlier.
Gene Siskel once did something worse than this. Sid And Nancy made his top-ten list for the decade of the 1980s after it failed to make his top-ten list for 1986, the year it was released. Although, I guess the passage of a few years excuses a larger change of opinion.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

First, I should point out that I previously added a score wrong, and it was mine. I received 7 points, not 8, essentially tying with Sabin and anonymous1980. In any event, the change has helped some people's scores and hurt others. The newly revised scores are:

1. Okri - 13 points
2. Sabin/Sonic - 8 points
3. anonymous1980/FilmFan720 - 6 points
4. Big Magilla - 5 points

Sabin and I were helped by the revised list. FilmFan720's score remained the same.

Contest officially closed, unless Peter wants to revise the list again.
Last edited by Sonic Youth on Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I suspected as much.... Here's Travers' revised Top Ten list. "Phantom Thread" replaces "Darkest Hour". Everything else is unchanged.

1. Dunkirk
2. Get Out
3. Call Me By Your Name
4. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri
5. The Post
6. Lady Bird
7. The Shape of Water
8. Detroit
9. A Ghost Story
10. Phantom Thread
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Assuming the list is correct, it's extremely hypocritical in that the film he declared the best film of the year in his review came in fourth behind three films he saw earlier.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I remember one year Travers posted a list and then revised it later. I wonder if he's going to do that again this year, because it doesn't feel plausible that a PT Anderson fan like him wouldn't find a spot for Phantom Thread unless he hasn't seen it yet. I doubt it will make much of a difference because the winner, by a ridiculous margin, is:

Okri!

I'm not sure there has ever been such a huge gap between the first and second place winners. Okri scored a phenomenal 15 points, and he managed to check all the boxes, so to speak. He accurately guessed the no. 1 film, he predicted 8 of the 10 films on the list, and he correctly guessed the placement of 6 of them. True, he inaccurately predicted a tie ("The Post"/"Darkest Hour"), and that led to a deduction of one point. But he "undeducted" it right back by accurately guessing the placement of "Darkest Hour". Congratulations, Okri! That was a very impressive performance.

INCORRECT. Runner-up was a three way tie with 7 points.
I'm pleased to say that I'm the runner up. I don't think I've ever been the runner-up (never mind the winner) in this contest before. It's not such an achievement when there are only five other ballots. And it's not so impressive considering I only scored 8 points, which is barely average under ordinary circumstances. But I'll take it. I also guessed 8 of the 10 movies correctly, but with only one accurate placement, and a tie prediction. Too bad I tried to predict a tie. I might have lost by a mere 6 points instead of 7.

Assuming my tallies are correct (and let me know if I made a mistake) anonymous1980 and Sabin follow, each with 7 points. Bringing up the rear is Big Magilla and FilmFan720 with 6 points. I think we were all thrown off by his statement that "Billboards" was the best movie of the year. We should never take him at his word.
Last edited by Sonic Youth on Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Thank you. Not even Peter can wait until December.

He's even more irritating than usual. I know he has a tendency to give movies 4 stars and then not put them on his top ten list. But to declare "Three Billboards" the best movie of the year, and then place three movies ahead of it on the list, at least two (if not all) which he reviewed earlier in the year? Saying he's had time to reflect is to give him way too much credit.

I don't doubt this list, but I'll wait for more confirmation. No "Phantom Thread" just sounds very un-Peter.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

1. Three Billboards Outside Ebbings, Missouri
2. Dunkirk
3. Call Me By Your Name
4. Faces/Places
5. The Shape of Water
6. (tie) Get Out / Mudbound
7. Coco
8. Lady Bird
9. The Florida Project
10. Logan
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

1. Dunkirk
2. Three Billboards Outside Ebbings, Missouri
3. Call Me By Your Name
4. Get Out
5. Blade Runner 2049
6. Lady Bird
7. The Shape of Water
8. Detroit
9. Faces Places
10. The Post/The Darkest Hour
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

1. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
2. Dunkirk
3. Call Me By Your Name
4. The Shape of Water
5. Get Out
6. The Florida Project
7. Phantom Thread
8. Lady Bird
9. The Big Sick
10. Mother!
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

anonymous1980 wrote:I was gonna post this by the end of the week since Travers has been releasing his Top 10 list earlier and earlier in the year. Glad to see you're at it again, Sonic! :)
Thank you. Thanksgiving was early this year, so I was able to get a good jump start on it.

Any more submissions? Let's have some fun, everyone.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

1. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
2. Call Me By Your Name
3. Lady Bird
4. Dunkirk
5. Darkest Hour
6. Mudbound
7. Get Out
8. The Florida Project
9. Wind River
10. Wonder

Return to “2017”