Blade Runner 2049 reviews

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Blade Runner 2049 reviews

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
And Carla Juri as the dream designer makes an incredible vivid impression in her single big scene.
It's moments like these where I thought I was watching something truly exceptional. Also, the scene in the night club between Gosling, Ford, and the hologram nightclub singers that suddenly, randomly punctuated the scene with noise. These are remarkable moments. But in the service of what? 'Blade Runner 2049' doesn't deepen the substance of the original 'Blade Runner.' How could it? But it services as a plunge into near-future anxiety, which doesn't seem as especially far off as it should. The best thing I can say about the film is that it's so gorgeously shot and directed that there were times where I actually thought I was watching something that I needed. But I don't.

It's possibly the best film I've ever seen that I felt the director was wasting his time with. The substance of every scene wants us to know how much it understands the original 'Blade Runner.' Because everybody involved is so damn talented and they have so many resources to pull from, it doesn't come off as insufferable. I actually think this film would have benefited from being Kill Bill'ed into two parts. It would've allowed itself more time to relish in the surface, scene-to-scene pleasures instead of a mystery plot that plods along.

Ana de Marmas is the MVP. Or rather her character is, although the actress is quite good. She isn't quite given the fitting send-off she deserves, but her "return" (not much of a spoiler) lends a haunting cynicism to this world that I loved. Carla Juri's part is just a little too small to warrant supporting mention for me on my end of ballot list, but all I could think was "Holy cow, who is this?"
"How's the despair?"
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Let me put it this way. The original was Joanna Cassidy – vibrant, urgent, kinetic, dangerous, sexy, dirty, mature. This one is Sylvia Hoeks – visually gorgeous, slick, wrinkles free, efficient, vacant.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Is this the movie one must like this year? While not a complete disaster, it's so clearly inferior to its justly celebrated predecessor. The original movie wasn't perfect maybe, but it combined a relatively simple narrative line with an emotional and even philosophical depth which made it intriguing and memorable. This one is much longer and complex from the narative point of view, but colder and thinner. Never for one moment the leading character's personal search has a deep resonance for the viewer - and this may be partly due to Ryan Gosling's amateurish, inexpressive performance.

And when you - or at least I - can predict any single twist, including the "big" one, not minutes but HOURS before it is revealed... well, I'd say there's something wrong, right?

But yes, it is technically very well made.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Just a few words, to get it into the record that I REALLY like this movie.

It's impossible not to begin with the visuals, because they are truly sumptuous, in all departments -- the equivalent of the Hugo production design matched with Children of Men's cinematography, with, say, Inception's visual effects. After a while, I found myself almost laughing every time another gorgeous image or locale appeared; the film was clearly never going to run out of stunning ideas.

Does the storyline match these visuals? Maybe not entirely, but I'm a pretty easy touch for police procedurals, and I found the unraveling of the story reasonably engrossing. Plus it struck me there were emotional undercurrents to the story that one doesn't always find in such genre efforts. It wasn't Chinatown or Children of Men, but the script isn't 100 miles south of that range, either. And I did find some of the story twists related to Gosling's identity well-played. Even what amount to the action set-pieces -- like the underwater battle -- play out as more than storyboards because of the quality of the visuals.

Gosling is a solid protagonist, and he's backed up by a solid group of mostly female co-actors. I see some are objecting to Ana de Marmas' character, by virtue of her profession, but I found her a fascinatingly drawn, complex creature. Sylvia Hoeks borders on being a Bond villain, but offers occasional shadings. And Carla Juri as the dream designer makes an incredible vivid impression in her single big scene.

The fiilm's commercial disappointment clearly hobbles its effort to get in the big Oscar categories, but, for me, it represents as interesting a directorial effort as any I've see this year. And, while Dunkirk has more "serious content", I find this the more narratively/thematically interesting work. I've seen no big studio movie this year I've liked as much.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Just got back from a very well attended 9.10pm session of Blade Runner 2049 and must say I was most impressed. I did go this with rather low expectations thinking that at best it might be good but it was so so much better than good.

Clearly a lot of thought has gone in to where to take the story. And 2049 certainly looks like one could imagine it would when ones looks at the past vision of the world in 2019 from 1982.

Technically it's smashing in every respect and 'action' is kept to the bare minimum. This is so far removed from much of the big budget junk that Hollywood churns out on a regular basis. I tend to avoid most of it now as I would rather spend my time watching an old favourite and really only get to sample these types of films if they happen to gain Oscar nominations.

Perfectly cast and acted, just like the first film, it is a slow burning engrossing story and Denis Villeneuve takes his time telling it, that the film never feels overlong is a testimony to all involved. Bits of the first film are very well incorporated into this one and one particular scene is so chilling and moving. I think the best character in the film is Luv played by Sylvia Hoeks. My god she is relentless and cruel to the bone.

I suspect this is going to be huge at the box office and my guess will be upwards of $700 million worldwide. It is the sort of film that hardcore fans of which there will be many will be going back to second helpings.

Oscar nominations are assured for most technical categories and to be honest they would be more well earned that any of Dunkirks. I also think this has a good chance of Picture, Director & Screenplay nominations. Acting nominations would be highly unlikely though the Academy might through a supporting nod Harrison Fords way. But given that Ford has top lined so many juggernaut hits over the years and Honorary Oscar for him next year would be most fitting.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Just watched 'The Final Cut' of Blade Runner for the 1st today. My preference has and always will be the 1982 international cut as it was the one I first saw at the cinema and over and over again on video.

The film has aged beautifully needless to say. Reminds one just how crass looking so many Hollywood films are these days. Wonder how people around the world will be watching Blade Runner this week, given it's opening world wide on the 5 & 6 October with only South Korea and Japan a couple of weeks behind.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “2017”